Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

who had right of way?

Options
  • 06-11-2008 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

was stuck on a roundabout today,as seen in attachment (i hope) lets say my car was in the light blue,i was heading for the third exit (red arrow) the second exit off was blocked up with traffic (thats why i was stopped on the roundabout),was there a few seconds when the car in grey pulled up to the position shown,she was also goin the direction of the red arrow,

when the traffic moved off i saluted the driver and began driving forward only to see her start to try get out in front of me,i stopped for a second then she stopped so i drove off asking what the **** she was doing!,followed by her beeping at me and somebody shouting out the window of their car "she had the right of way" even though she would barely have made the gap,i know its yield to the right so i could be completly wrong,

just one question,who had the right of way??
    sorry about long post,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Who was on the roundabout first?
    Where you in a hatched area?
    Where you actually in the inner orbital lane at this stage or just about in?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Common sense should have had right of way methinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

i was on the roundabout first,this roundabout is tiny but still very busy,there were no hatchings or lanes on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

well if you were on it first, you had the right of way, but you probably would have been better off on the outside lane. Looks from your drawing that you wouldnt be able to let her in anyway.

You will always get people beeping at you and mouthing off, because almost everyone on the roads think they know the most about driving, and are fabulous at it. I had a guy roar out the window at me for getting in his gf's way. It didnt matter to him that I was half way round a round about that she was ploughing on through.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Which lane were you in and were you there before the other car entered the roundabout? In the diagram it looks like you are in both lanes. If you were in the correct position the other car would not have had the space to try manouver into.

We cross posted .Going by the clarifications in your last post you had the right of way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

66192.jpg

There is no lane marking so let's assume 1 lane around roundabout. He was on the roundabout first so he had right of way. Simple as, no ?

What's all this about saluting etc though? Are you sure you didn't appear to suggest the other person could go first and then appear to change your mind? This might have caused the reaction?

Also you give right of way to traffic already on the roundabout, not traffic to the right (although generally they overlap!).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

no lanes....oh then you had the right of way.

peanuthead wrote: »
    well if you were on it first, you had the right of way, but you probably would have been better off on the outside lane.

Outside lane. Incorrect. The outside lane is for exit 1 and 2 only unless you are in crazy places such as Kerry or Mayo where its for exit 1 only.

to random,i didnt actually think of that,she may have thought i was letting her in front but the she would have barely made it through the gap in front of my car and it would have left me stuck on the roundabout!

bladebrew wrote: »
    to random,i didnt actually think of that,she may have thought i was letting her in front but the she would have barely made it through the gap in front of my car and it would have left me stuck on the roundabout!

For you anyway. Whoever was on the roundabout first has the right of way and you were attempting to get to the 3rd exit so by what you have said and your "blueprints" you appeared to be positioned correctly.

You appear to have tried to allow her in front of you, then realised she wouldnt make it, so continued on your way infuriating her along the way.

Oh well, you cant please everybody all the time.

You should take comfort in the fact you were likely in the right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

when the traffic moved off i saluted the driver
    Just wondering what you mean by "saluted"?

Did you gesture anything to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

Outside lane. Incorrect. The outside lane is for exit 1 and 2 only unless you are in crazy places such as Kerry or Mayo where its for exit 1 only.
    Wrong. The outside lane, or LH lane on approach is used if you are exiting straight through, or anything before it, on some roundabouts it may even be the third exit and still use the LH lane, but when you go beyond 180 degrees, use the RH lane

Just wondering what you mean by "saluted"?

Did you gesture anything to them?

yup i had the window down, just lifted my hand slightly then put it back on the wheel,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

yup i had the window down, just lifted my hand slightly then put it back on the wheel,
    Sorta explains it all then. Case closed :)

Paddy001 wrote: »
    Wrong. The outside lane, or LH lane on approach is used if you are exiting straight through, or anything before it, on some roundabouts it may even be the third exit and still use the LH lane, but when you go beyond 180 degrees, use the RH lane

Peanuthead said you would have been "better off" in the outside lane. Thats hardly true seeing as that is not the correct lane to orbit a roundabout in THIS case.

You said you would have been "better off" in the outside lane. Thats hardly true seeing as that is not the correct lane to orbit a roundabout in THIS case.
    What are you talking about? It's the inside lane is used fom there to take that exit. Also I think you were both wrong as you should have looked to see was your exit clear before entering, and therefore wouldn't have been stopped on the roundabout to start with. Also I think she may have had right of way, traffic already on the roundabout and at your right have right have way over you, I think!

peanuthead wrote: »
    but you probably would have been better off on the outside lane.
    Paddy001 wrote: »
    What are you talking about? It's the inside lane is used fom there to take that exit.

:confused: *lets out big sigh* :confused: Peanuthead said Outside lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

can I go home now?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭Esel

To mere mortals, the outside lane is the rightmost lane. To 'experts', that lane is the inside lane, or in the case of a roundabout, the 'inner orbital'. Get your terminology right, folks! :D

As this roundabout had only one lane, the above is moot.

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    To mere mortals, the outside lane is the rightmost lane. To 'experts', that lane is the inside lane, or in the case of a roundabout, the 'inner orbital'. Get your terminology right, folks! :D

As this roundabout had only one lane, the above is moot.
    Oh! In that case, take the right lane when going more than straight through!

• Advertisement
Advertisement