Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance claim

Options
  • 06-11-2008 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭

Hi, i got hit from behind 6 weeks ago,just a tip but enough to do €2500 worth of damage to car. i was stopped and guy hit me in transit van at say 10-15mph. guy admitted liability and i got onto his insurance. they told me to get a quote which i did and rang them and they got an engineer to come out to value it and negociated price with my panel beater which they did. i rang them after 2wks to see what story was and where was the cheque they said i wont recieve the cheque that the job has to be done by my panel beater first and then they will send him the payment. i said ok. i then said what about personal injuries and girl said oh you want to claim and i said I DONT WISH TO CLAIM BUT THERES A FEW ISSUES I WANT SORTED OUT. i want deprection value for my car. they say 10% of cost of repair is what they will give but my garage says that if i want to trade in my car now i will be loosing 1500-2000k because of crash. i can get this in writing from them. Can i battle this out with them or am i at a loss even if i go to a silicotor, or should i just claim for personal injuries. CONFUSED ''SORRY SO LONG''

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Just to point out: they'll pay as little as they can. They're not in the business to give you money.

Get someone who knows the ins and outs, or you'll get less than you should get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

From having to deal with insurance companies before they wont take much notice of your demands. Best thing you can do is consult a solicitor and get them to contact the other parties insurance company. Usually you have to get around 3 quotes for the repair and it up to you who you choose not them. BTW a solicitors letter is a very strong movitator to get things moving....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

+1 on contacting a solicitor. At least then you know you won't get fleeced. The insurance company will want to pay out as little as possible so won't be offering you information. I would also be very wary of agreeing anything with them over the phone as it would come under a verbal agreement, so be very cagey.

If you do decide to pursue your claim through the court system it can take a while, but it will also cover your Solicitors costs.

I had a claim via the court system and while I had to wait for the personal injury aspect, I did get a check to cover the cost of the repairs to my car in a very short space of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

Have you contacted your insurance company, when I got rear ended a few years ago, I notified my insurance and they organised my repair and loan car and inspection etc, then they claimed it back from the other side resulting in me not losing my NCB. Person injury and specials etc where dealt with by the solictor. that took nearly 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ManyQuestions

give me a PM, if you havent gone the solicitor route

• Advertisement
Advertisement