Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a need for a Requests Forum?

Options
  • 06-11-2008 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭

Hi ,just wondering would there be ever a need for a forum ,where people are looking for imformation.

It seems to be an easy way out for people ,to post asking for imformation on topics ,which are currently in the media.

At least if there is a designated forum for requests ,it would be choice of people and a more no holds barred for the poster.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Give me 5 examples of requests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Requests as in people with very little posts and looking for imformation.
    Sometimes there lists or sometimes it's peoples opinions on things.
    I'm not going to start going through all the forums ,looking for examples. If you don't know what I'm talking about ,theres little point in the thread carrying on.

If people have questions about the site there is the Newbies & FAQ, if its a question about a specific topic then there is pretty much a forum for everything.

If you want to make it easy for people who are too lazy to look for the correct forum or at least ask in Newbies Forum then ..... well .... not a good idea. Thats just my opinion though.

Also there is AH if you want to ask a general question about something topical?

Nah it's not that at all. I'm talking about people logging onto boards ,for the sole purpose of research.

I've noticed posters with 1 or 2 posts ,who seem to be aware of how boards work. Which makes me think some people re-register ,for the sole purpose of getting easy imformation.

I just thought if a thread looked like one of these type ,it would be handy to move the thread to a requests forum.

some people re-register ,for the sole purpose of getting easy imformation

And you want to accommodate these people?

If someone comes on to do research and nothing else then they usually just get banned.

There is the Media Interaction Forum if its research for an article or programme though.

• Advertisement

Of course if y ou want to request a forum then might be handy to use the Forums Forum? :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

311 wrote: »
    I'm not going to start going through all the forums ,looking for examples. If you don't know what I'm talking about ,theres little point in the thread carrying on.

311 in order for a new forum to be created you do need to show examples of posts spread across several different forums.

Ponster wrote: »
    311 in order for a new forum to be created you do need to show examples of posts spread across several different forums.

Aye ,fair enough.

I can think of one example ,which is why I posted here in the first place. I've noticed it in other forums ,but the subject wouldn't be what I'd post on.

A thread was closed on a person today and then they PM me asking me to ask the mod to open it :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Make requests in a forum appropriate to the topic, adding more forums makes things even more confusing.

Make requests in a forum appropriate to the topic, adding more forums makes things even more confusing.

It's obviously a bad idea so ,no harm done.:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

6th wrote: »
    Give me 5 examples of requests.

You can send requests directly to Tom Dunne to read out on his radio show.

It's obviously a bad idea so ,no harm done.:o

Well done, you could have dug your heals in ... respect.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

requests forum is there for asking for new forums to be created, its the reason why VoIP and Heroes forums now exist as well as 98% of the rest of the forums on boards.ie

Cabaal wrote: »
    requests forum is there for asking for new forums to be created, its the reason why VoIP and Heroes forums now exist as well as 98% of the rest of the forums on boards.ie

Cabaal ,thats exactly not what I was suggesting though. When I said request ,I mean a new boards member looking for specific information about something.

Say ,Joe Spliffnot logs on.
    Goes into the Region/East/North Dublin forum and starts a thread like ...
    How many people do you know smoke hash or Do coke?
    What age are these people ?

Say this is intrusive. Send it to a forum where people are looking for specific information.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Not wanting to be rude (as I don't know the OP), but this is possily the silliest forum request I have ever seen. Perhaps it is just that I don't "get" what the actual request is, but it seems like half the topics on AH are like the questions in the previous reply.

5starpool wrote: »
    Not wanting to be rude (as I don't know the OP), but this is possily the silliest forum request I have ever seen. Perhaps it is just that I don't "get" what the actual request is, but it seems like half the topics on AH are like the questions in the previous reply.

AH has nothing to do with it ,I'm talking about statistical imformation been requested in specific areas on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

Forum for lazy media researchers who don't understand self-selection bias?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

AH has nothing to do with it ,I'm talking about statistical imformation been requested in specific areas on boards.

So a forum for surveys and the like?

5starpool wrote: »
    So a forum for surveys and the like?
    Yeah I suppose ,but without that heading. So if someone looks like they are indirectly attempting it.
    They cannot complain that they are been accused of anything.

Advertisement