Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Advertiser - A joke?

Options
  • 06-11-2008 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭

Has anyone read this weeks advertiser with the editorial by Mairtin O Caithan on page 16.

Can someone please assure me that this guy is a satirist because I have never seen such drivel and hilarity in one article in a published newspaper in my life. This guys seems to honestly talk about;

"Peoples brains are fairly well programmed as to how they will slant politically the day they are born..."

and

"There was one social commentator ... in Connemara who used to speak at the marts and in the pubs about matters like this... and he reckoned that you would actually know a Fine Gael supporter by the look of him ... "

He uses this guy as an alternative to scientific peer reviewed biological research currently underway in the US that is "costing millions" and "If only they took heed of the home grown experts in the hills and farmlands of Galway".

And we expect to be respected as an internationally aware and respected country, and county, Galway is attempting to bring in more medical and scientific R&D to the county and yet we are printing this in a county newspaper delivered to how many homes?

A progressive and intellectual Ireland is still far far away.

Also the article and many others are riddled with spelling and grammatical errors, do the Advertiser staff not have a proof reader on the books or do the copy-editors just not do their jobs very well?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Also the article and many others are riddled with spelling and grammatical errors, do the Advertiser staff not have a proof reader on the books or do the copy-editors just not do their jobs very well?
    It's their policy to have at least one error per paragraph.

What are the odds on some of our local media wonks appearing for this particular thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

I remember a few weeks ago they carried a headline stating "Man jailed for for pee-ing in a bus"

Really was a pathetic typo and that as well as the article you showed confirms the low standards of Journalism that the paper has abiden too

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Mr Cork Man

The advertiser is only good for wiping your arse and that editor seems to be full of himself.The city tribune is a much better paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Looks like the internet has found them though. This is on the posters on the bins outside their office in Eyre Square. Free classifieds for all! :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

The city tribune is a much better paper.
    Aye and produced to a much higher standard as well.

• Advertisement

Shortly after I posted up that link to the Galway Business Pages, user JamesStephens, well known on boards for his newspaper related postings, went on a mini-post rampage apparently in an effort to push the link off the front page. Touched a nerve did we? Take a look:

censoredud7.gif

That, I have not seen before. I'm not sure if we should be getting RTDH on the case or what, but I'm strongly contemplating putting the link in my sig. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

That, I have not seen before. I'm not sure if we should be getting RTDH on the case or what, but I'm strongly contemplating putting the link in my sig. :D
    Excellent work Mr. Holmes. :D. Lets just keep bumping this thread.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

17 posts in 24 minutes! impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭fago

If it was a sticky would it really annoy them?

We could ask other question like why don't they sort the classified ads. For example you're looking in Knocknacarra. Why don't they print the estates in order within the classified for Knocknacarra area so you can compare easily?

Why do keep repeating that article from O'Donnellan Joyce about remortgaging and passing it off as an article. I suppose its called the advertiser but lifting and printing the same thing one every 2-4 weeks seems pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

BUMP :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Shortly after I posted up that link to the Galway Business Pages, user JamesStephens, well known on boards for his newspaper related postings, went on a mini-post rampage apparently in an effort to push the link off the front page. Touched a nerve did we? Take a look:

censoredud7.gif

Saw his posts last night and I though hmmm SPAM but it all makes sense now. Well spotted SimpleSam06

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Has anyone read this weeks advertiser with the editorial by Mairtin O Caithan on page 16.

Can someone please assure me that this guy is a satirist because I have never seen such drivel and hilarity in one article in a published newspaper in my life.

O'Caithin talks absolute shoite on a weekly basis.

Constant plugging of the same tired old crap, with that nauseating folksy style. I can only assume he works for very little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Saw that last night and thought it was a severe case of post whoring but now because of his Newspaper connections the mystery has been solved. Thanks Detective Sam;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

hahah, what a chancer. Typical of the standards that the Galway Advertiser adhere to. I'll think twice before I advertise my business with them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

hahah, what a chancer. Typical of the standards that the Galway Advertiser adhere to. I'll think twice before I advertise my business with them again.

It might be a crap paper for news and general articles but it is a very good paper for actual advertising. I use it all the time as a source of information on Services/Classifieds and General Advertising. Sport Section can be poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Advertiser is sh*it. It's never read and is dumped every week. Stop putting it through my letterbox.

Btw the way those statistics on readership aren't really readership. They should rename that to amount of people spammed by the advertiser every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Its good enough for sudoku and thats about it. Its not even absorbent enough to wipe my.... windows with :pac:

I noticed that as well, they only thing missing is manonthestreet wading in for they seem to share a chapel.

Oh it's the kind of thing that makes you want to right a roman á clef about the incestuous, low stakes media in a provincial town. The kind of thing that's libel dynamite...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The thing is the Advertiser has been the paper to advertise your letting, stuff for sale in for years - look at the queue of students outside their office every August. There is a relatively high charge for a classified ad.

What we need is an proper premier online alternative such as craigslist that will be the number one place to go to and free to use. Galwaybusinesspages.com does not have that ring to it

Also excellent detective work!

snubbleste wrote: »
    What we need is an proper premier online alternative such as craigslist that will be the number one place to go to and free to use. Galwaybusinesspages.com does not have that ring to it
    Ah now, I can't see much wrong with the GBP. You want your free local classifieds, there it is. I don't know if you've looked at craigslist lately but its a bit of a shambles.

No responses from JamesStephens yet I see! I wonder if I put it in my sig will he follow me around flooding message boards every time I post. :D

• Advertisement

big b wrote: »
    O'Caithin talks absolute shoite on a weekly basis.

Constant plugging of the same tired old crap, with that nauseating folksy style. I can only assume he works for very little.

The editor is full of crap too.I might read it again if they get a new editor and theres me thinking the evening echo(evening rag) was bad.Im going to have to put a sign up outside my house telling the delivey person to keep away.

cornbb wrote: »
    Its good enough for sudoku and thats about it. Its not even absorbent enough to wipe my.... windows with :pac:

Did you ever try wiping your bottom wth it?:D

The Advertiser is everyone's first stop for accomodation though. I think that's the section that gets read the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

And we expect to be respected as an internationally aware and respected country, and county, Galway is attempting to bring in more medical and scientific R&D to the county and yet we are printing this in a county newspaper delivered to how many homes?
    And why do you think their coming to Galway? To take full advantage of the phenonemom of the physic mucksavage. It's the pattern.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,852 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Shortly after I posted up that link to the Galway Business Pages, user JamesStephens, well known on boards for his newspaper related postings, went on a mini-post rampage apparently in an effort to push the link off the front page. Touched a nerve did we?

Brilliant !

I was wondering where 'The Worst Drivers in Ireland' thread went.
    I thought a Mod moved it,I actually searched 'Motors' for it :pac:

Seven Worlds will Collide

Brilliant !
    Thanks! Still no word from the lads though, have we finally seen the last of the Galway Advertiser diplomatic corps here on boards? Maybe too much to hope for...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The Galway Advertiser, in fairness was always complete crap .

The only noticeable difference between the Galway Advertiser nowadays and the Galway Advertiser 30 years ago or more is that the modern Galway Advertiser is now crap in vibrant technicolour and that it would kill your cat if it landed through the letterbox on it where the 30 year ago version was eminently survivable were you are a cat .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

I find the all the papers in galway crap!, def the Advertiser, the Radio is crap to!
    I don't listen to the Galway bay or iRadio either, just boaring.

thanks my 2 cents

I find the all the papers in galway crap!, def the Advertiser, the Radio is crap to!
    I don't listen to the Galway bay or iRadio either, just boaring.

thanks my 2 cents
    And well argued and presented it was too, thanks for that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i wonder where mr stevens is

Advertisement