Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Advertiser - A joke?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Take the accommodation element away from the advertiser and it has very little to set it apart from the rest of the Galway papers tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

So what's this all about then Dr. James? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Tigger wrote: »
    i wonder where mr stevens is

Probably hiding somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭benji2006

What I hate most about the Advertiser is how it can downplay/ignore important stories when it suits.

For example:

they gave front page to a story about some politician getting rid of trees in bohermore when the burning issue of the day was the laser card scam (that only made page 7) - of course, the fact that the scam occurred in the stores of some of their largest advertisers would have nothing to do with that

they almost totally ignored the clocking scam in Arch motors

little/no mention of the GMIT lecturer that was found guilty of harrassment of a neighbour in Woodhaven - the Irish Times covered it at least twice....

no mention of O'Malley's laying off construction workers at the start of the downturn in the property market -

and not to mention the property/business "advice" stuff that is usually little more than sales pitches for their advertising clients....

And then the editor has the audacity to get up on his soapbox every week and give out about his pet peeves ...people in glasshouses and all that...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

benji2006 wrote: »
    What I hate most about the Advertiser is how it can downplay/ignore important stories when it suits.

For example:

they gave front page to a story about some politician getting rid of trees in bohermore when the burning issue of the day was the laser card scam (that only made page 7) - of course, the fact that the scam occurred in the stores of some of their largest advertisers would have nothing to do with that

little/no mention of the GMIT lecturer that was found guilty of harrassment of a neighbour in Woodhaven - the Irish Times covered it at least twice....

no mention of O'Malley's laying off construction workers at the start of the downturn in the property market -

and not to mention the property/business "advice" stuff that is usually little more than sales pitches for their advertising clients....

And then the editor has the audacity to get up on his soapbox every week and give out about his pet peeves ...people in glasshouses and all that...
    Those kind of stories tend to involve some form of "journalism" and getting off your arse for research.

The "local politicians thinking aloud" ones that make the front pages arrive in handy press release format, ready to be copied and pasted in; often with the original spelling and grammar mistakes intact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Mr Cork Man

benji2006 wrote: »

For example:

That editor does my head in he thinks he so high and mighty.That rag must be the worst local paper in ireland.Does anyone know why they got rid of the garda report section?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

That editor does my head in he thinks he so high and mighty.That rag must be the worst local paper in ireland.Does anyone know why they got rid of the garda report section?

Probably because they couldn't find a way to equitise it... is that a proper word? you get the gist.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

What other free local paper in Ireland is better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

snubbleste wrote: »

The Metro.

The Metro.

Good! Any others?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Mr Cork Man

snubbleste wrote: »

The mayo echo.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

I want Mr.Stevens to make a reply, i am gonna check this thread every day until he does, tbh id sticky this thread, ban Mr.Stevens and pass all what happened here onto another Galway paper :P
    In my opinion people should know about this stuff, If the advertiser wanted to be a successful paper they would write about the best story's, make sure it is of a professional standard and not like some weekly parish newsletter and stop protecting their clients and get the real story's that people love to read.
    They may as well just turn it into a comic, at least the kids will enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

That rag must be the worst local paper in ireland.
    Clearly, you have not seen the Sligo Post.

The Galway Advertiser is at least useful (for accommodation & classifieds) and they make far fewer errors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I got a copy in the door there a few weeks back with the main headline reading: "Driver could not explain high speed lunchtime car chase through [sic]".

Maybe it was a rare edition that I could sell to some nerd stamp collector. I noticed the version on display in the Advertiser front window in town that week had the word 'through' blanked out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Spot the Goatse in this weeks Galway First :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

topper75 wrote: »
    Maybe it was a rare edition that I could sell to some nerd stamp collector.
    No the rare edition would be the one with no mistakes in it.
    Spot the Goatse in this weeks Galway First :D
    Thats the editor.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭cL0h

I endorse this thread in the name of anti censorship.
    :)

cL0h wrote: »
    I endorse this thread in the name of anti censorship.
    :)
    True, damn the man!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Epic sig SimpleSam...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

For SimpleSam06
    freeinternet.jpg

Well spotted. I remember logging in that day and thinking it was just a popular day on the forum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Ha, good work! Truth be told the Advertiser went downhill as soon as it was announced that the Air Show was cancelled. The inane ramblings in the letters section made for great reading whilst in the fortress of solitude.

What guidelines are there to stop a 'journalist' copying a press release issued by a local authority word for word and adding their own name to the byline?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

None whatsoever in Galway , that is why it is oxymoronic to call them 'journalists' hereaboouts when they are in reality 'serial regurgitators' ......or in a few very sad cases 'Franks Bitch' :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    'Franks Bitch' :(

Now now that's totally unfair. Some of them are Conneely's bitches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Pub07

I don't really see the point in knocking the Advertiser, it's a small, free regional newspaper that people only read for the classifieds and entertainment listings. I wouldn't expect too much from such a paper operating under those conditions.

Pub07 wrote: »
    I don't really see the point in knocking the Advertiser, it's a small, free regional newspaper that people only read for the classifieds and entertainment listings. I wouldn't expect too much from such a paper operating under those conditions.
    In fairness the people who are complaining are the same people the Advertiser are trying to "sell" to their customers - pay us and we'll ensure your advert gets seen by tens of thousands of Galwegians.

Its starting to look more and more like what they are selling isn't worth what they are charging, since most of their "viewers" don't want to look at their publication, and by charging I mean it will set you back €800 for an advert the size of the palm of your hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Its starting to look more and more like what they are selling isn't worth what they are charging, since most of their "viewers" don't want to look at their publication, and by charging I mean it will set you back €800 for an advert the size of the palm of your hand.

The comments made here show that lots of people do at least look at the Advertiser. They may not like what they see, especially the quality of the so-called "articles", but they do look, and this is what the advertisers pay for.

JustMary wrote: »
    The comments made here show that lots of people do at least look at the Advertiser. They may not like what they see, especially the quality of the so-called "articles", but they do look, and this is what the advertisers pay for.
    Its a big stretchy leap from seeing an advert in the paper to taking action based on that, and the leap is even further if you consider that people don't even bother with the articles any more. I mean the Advertiser doesn't put those in there for the fun of it; thats what is meant to get people interested in the paper in the first place.

Informative and interesting news is why people read newspapers, if they aren't getting that why would they bother? If they need a service they'll just look it up. Random offers in the Advertiser don't interest most people. I'd say that a lot of those papers just go straight into the bin, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

good thread;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Its a big stretchy leap from seeing an advert in the paper to taking action based on that, and the leap is even further if you consider that people don't even bother with the articles any more. I mean the Advertiser doesn't put those in there for the fun of it; thats what is meant to get people interested in the paper in the first place.

Informative and interesting news is why people read newspapers, if they aren't getting that why would they bother? If they need a service they'll just look it up. Random offers in the Advertiser don't interest most people. I'd say that a lot of those papers just go straight into the bin, tbh.

In the word of Gabby Johnson...rrrrrrrrrrrarrrrrrrrrrrrrr rarrrrrrrrrrghhhh!

Advertisement