Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Doyle signs new contract

• 06-11-2008 8:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭

I see Kevin Doyle has committed his immediate future to Reading.
    KEVIN Doyle has made a clear statement of his intent to help Royals regain their Premier League status by signing a new contract that will keep him at the club until June 2011.

And the Republic of Ireland star hopes that by committing his future to Royals it will put a stop to the widespread speculation claiming he is set to leave in January.

Reports suggest Aston Villa boss Martin O’Neill is willing to pay up to £8 million for the 25-year-old striker in the next transfer window, possibly using Marlon Harewood as bait.

And Tottenham and Sunderland have also been linked with Doyle in the past and Reading will still find it difficult to reject a bumper offer for a player who cost a mere £78,000 from Cork City in 2005.

Nevertheless, Doyle has thrashed out a new deal following discussions with Reading director of football Nick Hammond which will almost certainly push up his price tag and may put off rival clubs.

“I’ve had ongoing discussions with Nick Hammond and over the last couple of weeks we have come to an agreement that is right for both me and the club,” said Doyle.

“I have had great support from the chairman and everyone here since I arrived from Ireland three-and-a-half years ago and I take enormous pride in playing for Reading Football Club.

“This sense of achievement, as with all the players and staff, was dented on relegation and I hope that signing this new deal will take away speculation surrounding my future.

“I also hope it allows me to focus totally on achieving my own and the club’s ambition of returning to the Premier League.”

Doyle has been in excellent form this season and he is currently joint top of the Championship scoring charts with 11 goals along with Cardiff’s Ross McCormack.

Hammond stated: “Kevin is a model professional and, more importantly, an outstanding individual.

“He has grown since arriving at Reading to become a top Premier League striker who us now an integral part of the Republic of Ireland team.

“It is fantastic news for us and the supporters. It is a sign of his character that he has committed to helping Reading achieve the task of reclaiming Premier League status as soon as possible.”

And chairman John Madejski believes the news will be warmly welcomed by Royals fans. “We are thrilled Kevin has shown his commitment to our cause by signing this new contract,” he said.

“It is a clear statement of our commitment to reclaiming a place in the Premier League. I’m sure Reading fans will be absolutely delighted with the news.”

http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/articles/2/6548

What are everyone's thoughts on this? Good to see a player show loyalty to his club or should he have held out until January and looked for a move to the Premiership?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

Reading want to make sure they'll get a good price. Loyalty :D We could still see him move in January. Hopefully...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

He'll move next summer if Reading don't get promotion I would guess, moving to a new club mid season might not be the cleverest thing to do anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

my feelings are the Doyle wouldn't have signed this if there wasn't a minimum fee release clause included in it. I think by this Reading are trying to guarantee he'll stay til the end of the season and of course get maximum value i he does move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Cork City creditors are up in arms I hear after they allowed Reading buy the 10% sell on clause for a pittance (around 200k euro).

Who can blame them to be honest, with his new contract signed it'll need to be £12 - £15m to sign him in January or the summer.

Throwing away all that potential money to satisfy the 65% rule which they've breached due to mismanagement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Given Readings current position, pushing for promotion, I cannot see them leaving Doyle go. Not to mention the clause was supposedly 10% of the first installment Reading would have received for him, so if the first installemnt was €150k every 6 months for 5 years (or whatever) CCFC would have only received €15k.

That being said I can understand the frustration of the CCFC creditotrs, but what worries me most is that already our great white knight is already scrimping around the back of the sofa looking for readies, so he obvioulsy does not have any himself.

Good to see that this si the last we have to do with that shower (for now) though. If ever a club allowed themselves be screwed over continuosly by another its CCFC by Reading.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I'm sure the Dolan brothers had a lot to do with it, to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Cork City creditors are up in arms I hear after they allowed Reading buy the 10% sell on clause for a pittance (around 200 euro).
    You mean €200,000 right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

I thought it was good business by cork to let Reading buy the sell on clause as there is a good possibility that Doyle may not leave Reading for the foreseeable future considering they look good for promotion this season.

CiaranC wrote: »
    You mean €200,000 right?
    Indeed, I forgot the 'k'.

Fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Who can blame them to be honest, with his new contract signed it'll need to be £12 - £15m to sign him in January or the summer.

are you mad?

• Advertisement

event wrote: »
    are you mad?
    I presume your question relates more to my valuation of Kevin Doyle rather than my mental state. A mad person probably wouldn't have the mind to self diagnose them self, and if I was mad and answered you then how could you trust my answer?

Anyhow if Aston Villa valued and bid £8m for him in the summer with a year left on his contact, then a valuation of £12m to £15m with 3 years on his contract is quite achievable. Aside from his extended contract he has done nothing to lead anyone to believe Aston Villa value him at less than £8m, in fact there is a massive case to say he has done plenty to lead them to believe he is now worth more.

I stand by my valuation of £12 to £15m although I am not saying he is worth £12m to £15m, only the market can determine what he is worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

He had one good season in the Prem. I wouldn't be looking to pay too much for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,100 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I presume your question relates more to my valuation of Kevin Doyle rather than my mental state. A mad person probably wouldn't have the mind to self diagnose them self, and if I was mad and answered you then how could you trust my answer?

Anyhow if Aston Villa valued and bid £8m for him in the summer with a year left on his contact, then a valuation of £12m to £15m with 3 years on his contract is quite achievable. Aside from his extended contract he has done nothing to lead anyone to believe Aston Villa value him at less than £8m, in fact there is a massive case to say he has done plenty to lead them to believe he is now worth more.

I stand by my valuation of £12 to £15m although I am not saying he is worth £12m to £15m, only the market can determine what he is worth.

I do declare this the most eloquent post of the evening!

Advertisement