Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Filming at Doorly Park today...

Options
  • 06-11-2008 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what was being filmed?? I'm curious.:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Me too. I walked home that way today and was wondering what was going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 deepee

The film is "Occi versus the World," set in 1970s, as you'd guess from the REI registered car.

Google Conor McDermottroe and you'll get the full gen. Gerard McSorley who featured in Omagh stars in it.

Nice to see the beauty of this site at Doorly Park being appreciated. Same site is precisely where the genii, God help us, of Sligo Borough Council plan to stick their 120 foot high bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

deepee wrote: »
    Same site is precisely where the genii, God help us, of Sligo Borough Council plan to stick their 120 foot high bridge.

Unfortunately there is nowhere else! It's a shame but badly needed.

I thought they had designed it to "blend" with the area? Not the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

The film is "Occi versus the World," set in 1970s, as you'd guess from the REI registered car.

Google Conor McDermottroe and you'll get the full gen. Gerard McSorley who featured in Omagh stars in it.

Nice to see the beauty of this site at Doorly Park being appreciated. Same site is precisely where the genii, God help us, of Sligo Borough Council plan to stick their 120 foot high bridge.

Thanks so much, thats great to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Gillie wrote: »
    Unfortunately there is nowhere else! It's a shame but badly needed.

I thought they had designed it to "blend" with the area? Not the case?

Proves that Sligo should have built a road around the town, instead of the inadequate, badly-designed Inner Relief Road but, hey, "Sligo is Surprising". :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

around the town doesnt work. what with lough gill and sligo harbour at both sides

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

Edwina Forkin was here filming Occi vs The World. Principal photography began here in Sligo on Sept 8th, and ran for 5 weeks. They are finished here and are currently in post production. Am not sure who was filming in Doorly Park? Everything is going to scedule she said recently on www.iftn.ie. Maybe they were delayed, I am not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

[
    Eastern%20Garvogue%20Bridge.jpg
    I thought they had designed it to "blend" with the area? Not the case?[/quote]

blend? sure:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

See they have gone for the Wembley look.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    around the town doesnt work. what with lough gill and sligo harbour at both sides
    Around the town does work, there are currently plans to build a western bypass. This option was considered when the mid block route was subject to a public inquiry. It was rejected because the inquiry decided for the mid block route because the land needed had already been aquired. The MBR was heavily supported by our friends the Chamber of Commerce. At the Inquiry it was cited that Sligo was absolutely unique and that is why it had to have a through pass rather than the by pass that every other Town in Europe had built or would build. It was predicted for all the obvious reasons by the schemes opponents that it would fail to solve Sligo's traffic issues.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

They were filming this in Marren Park in Ballymote too.

Spent a few days in a house there and a day in Haydens bar in Ballymote too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 deepee

Daredevle - You are way off the mark. Your photo is not to scale...nor is pictured in right location. Nor does it show profile back towards residential area. Your image is merely a Photoshop propaganda handout.

The facts are bridge at highest point is 120 feet high - with a roadway through centre of residential estate would increase from 900 vehicles a day to 20,000 in a short time. Walls are eight to ten feet high would be constructed at either side of roadway. In some cases gardens are cut in half.

The scenario belongs in eastern europe mid 20th century, rather than western europe in 21st century.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I think the bridge/bypass should be made into a different thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

magnumlady wrote: »
    I think the bridge/bypass should be made into a different thread.

Absolutely.

Guys if you want to discuss the bridge, take it to a new thread please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Take it to da bridge. Huh! (a la James Brown:D)

Advertisement