Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using 3 Billpay data allowance on 3 UK

• 06-11-2008 8:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭

Can you use your minutes and data usage as normal on the 3 UK network if your with 3 Ireland?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭ProjectC

short answer yes you can as long as you are on the 3g network ther..otherwise youll have to pay eu roaming charges..

example 3 uk use orange 2g backupnetowork over ther just like 3 here use vodafones. YOU will not be allowed use 3 like home on the orange network...or have i confused you more???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Thanks ProjectC,

Yes you have confused me.

I with 3(Ireland) pay monthly and x sereis gold.

Can i use my x series gold package(slingplayer) on 3 UK at no extra charge?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Yes, when you are roaming on ThreeUK any usage will be considered part of your Three Ireland allowances, voice and data.

What ProjectC was trying to explain is the differences between the non-Three backup network usage. In Ireland your phone handset will always display that it is connected to "3", however when you are outside of genuine Three 3G coverage you will actually be connected to Vodafone 2G masts although you can still use your bundled minutes as normal. The equivalent agreement exists between Three UK and Orange. Howeve, as a Three Ireland customer if you are out of Three UK coverage you will roam over onto any of the other networks and will then be charged roaming rates and will not be able to make use of data even on the Orange network. Your phone may not automatically switch back to Three UK coverage all the time though when their signal is back available so you may need to keep reselecting the correct network as when roaming phone often just pick the strongest signal all the time.

Another however though, I have made use of my Threee Ireland SIM in a 2G only phone whilst in the UK previously and found that I was not billed as roaming for any of the calls that were made when connected to various other UK networks. There is no guarantee that I'd get away with that again though and it may have just been a "glitch in the network".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

while i was there i found that i could only connect to the 3 network with the result that i had no coverage in loads of places, especially indoors. But i'm on pre pay and i think it's different on bill

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I was certainly able to connect to pretty much any network in the UK on bill pay, I've been sent a prepay sim by Three though with my last upgrade so I may take that over with my old handset next time and compare their connections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭niallb

I was able to connect to most networks in the UK during the summer,
    but set my 3 Ireland phone to manual network select and
    locked it to 3 UK to avoid nasty surprises.
    I had the 3 phone with me just for data, and it worked out really well.
    If I didn't have a data connection, I didn't use it.

Lots of wifi hotspots in the UK are expensive
    if you don't have a BT account,
    but 3 gave me 2GB traffic allowance over a week for €9.99 which worked most places I went in Wales and Cornwall.

I had a meteor phone with me for voice calls, and made sure that stayed locked to T-Mobile which had reasonably good coverage too.

p.s. I was in a tent a lot which might explain my better coverage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

I have a HTC TyTN II from 3 Ireland. I was in the UK recently and couldn't get the data connection to work even on 3 UK's network.

Are there settings I need to change in order to connect and if so can anyone tell me what they are?

Cheers

I was having trouble getting a data connection over there this last weekend as well so was wondering if there was something up with the setting on the new handset. However, it all worked fine again once I was back in the airport waiting for my return flight so must just have been something up with the signal in the area I had been trying to connected over the previous days.

Advertisement