Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ahmedinejad congratulates Obama

Options
  • 06-11-2008 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83,277 ✭✭✭✭

Tehran, Nov 7 (IANS) Iran’s President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad Thursday congratulated US president-elect Barack Obama on his election victory, the official IRNA news agency reported. “Mr Barack Obama, the president-elect of the United States of America, I congratulate you for being able to attract the majority of votes in the elections,” Ahmadinejad said in a message addressed to the next president of the US, which has been the arch foe of Iran for decades. The Iranian leader also hoped that basic and clear changes would take place in Washington’s foreign and domestic policies with the change of guard at the White House.
    “As you know the opportunities provided by the Almighty God, which can be used for elevation of nations, or God forbid, for their collapse, are transient,” the message read.
    “I hope you will prefer real public interests and justice to the never ending demands of a selfish minority and seize the opportunity to serve people so that you will be remembered with high esteem,” he said.
    Ahamadinejad also urged the president-elect to adapt new policies that would advocate “justice, respect for human rights, friendship and non-interference in other countries’ internal affairs”.
    “The great nation of Iran welcomes basic and fair changes in US policies and conducts, especially in the region,” President Ahmadinejad said.
    Underlining the major conflicts of the time, he said: “It is highly expected to reverse the unfair attitude towards restoring the rights of the Palestinians, Iraqis and Afghans.”
    The US had severed diplomatic ties with Iran since the victory of Islamic revolution in Iran when Islamist students seized the US embassy in Tehran and took US diplomats hostage for 444 days Nov 1979.
    Washington has been accusing Iran of sponsoring terrorism and developing nuclear weapons under the cover of its controversial nuclear programme. US President George W. Bush has also labelled the Islamic state a part of an “Axis of Evil”.

An opening to mend ties with Iran, and possibly stop their nuclear proliferation through diplomacy?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I don't think Iran intends to stop their nuclear power programme. Besides the Supreme leader is the one who would make such a decision, not the president.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

what have you got against nuclear proliferation?

nuclear weapons on the other hand...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

An opening to mend ties with Iran, and possibly stop their nuclear proliferation through diplomacy?

Possibly. Or maybe Iran is just making moves to seem friendly, all the better to pull the wool over people's eyes until it's too late. Remember, keep your enemies closer...

NTM

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Possibly. Or maybe Iran is just making moves to seem friendly, all the better to pull the wool over people's eyes until it's too late. Remember, keep your enemies closer...
    Well, Obama has been sending signals to hostile governments for the past two years of campaigning about sitting down and working out differences, and now he has a chance to not just talk the talk, but also walk the walk? It would be so nice to try diplomacy first, rather than the Bush doctrine of economic sanctions and war threats to force compliance with pre-conditions? It would be grand if Obama could, from a position of strength, normalise the relations between the USA and Iran, North Korea, and Cuba during his first term in office?

I am really curious about who he picks for Secretary of State. Any guesses? I've heard John Kerry's name tossed about, and he does have experience on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, among other things. But not sure how this might play if Obama is interested in reaching across to the Republicans for bi-partisan support (which I think is vital to get America back on track).

Picking Rambo for his Chief of Staff did not send a friendly message to the Republicans, but some cabinet post picks could? Then again, Rambo's selection must of delighted the Jewish voter block in the US, given that his father was a medical doctor from Israel? He is very bright, experienced in the Clinton White House, US House of Representatives, and a self-made millionaire investment banker.

OK MM, being a military man, what's your guess for Obama's Secretary of Defense? Huh?**

**See, I'm trying to normalise relations Obama-like with MM, rather than always fight** (although fighting is sometimes fun!)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I imagine the congratulations were not different from what many governments send to their newly-elected counter parts worldwide.

While we will see some prominent current politicians and some people from the Clintons administration, I think there will be a lot of backroom people and rising stars also.
    I've heard John Kerry's name tossed about, and he does have experience on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, among other things.
    Like invading / being at war with several countries? :)
    But not sure how this might play if Obama is interested in reaching across to the Republicans for bi-partisan support (which I think is vital to get America back on track).
    He doesn't need a whole lot of republican support given the numbers in congress. There will be a reaching across, but not too much.
    Picking Rambo for his Chief of Staff did not send a friendly message to the Republicans, but some cabinet post picks could? Then again, Rambo's selection must of delighted the Jewish voter block in the US, given that his father was a medical doctor from Israel? He is very bright, experienced in the Clinton White House, US House of Representatives, and a self-made millionaire investment banker.
    I though he asked Gates to stay on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

I don't know why but I've always liked Ahmadinejad. Such a sh*t-stirrer!

I don't know why but I've always liked Ahmadinejad. Such a sh*t-stirrer!

Me too, although not because hes such a **** stirrer...any time ive seen him interviewed or whatever hes come across reasonably well..

Advertisement