Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No more protein pudding, what can I do?

• 06-11-2008 8:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭

I've just discovered that those handy little tins of Protein Pudding that I used to buy from Tony Quinn kiosks have been discontinued, and won't be in stock again. I'm heartbroken, they were a lifesaver when I was travelling or at meals where I didn't fancy dessert but didn't want to sit feeling deprived. Only 100 cals and 20g of protein per tin.

Anyway, I was thinking that it might be possible to make sort of sort of pudding with protein powder and less water than usual, but so far, my H&B whey mixtures won't thicken, and my soy protein does thicken but tastes chalky.

Has anyone any ideas about something that will thicken and tastes ok? Ideally, I want a powder that I can carry in a small container, and just mix with a fork or spoon when I want to eat it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Hmmm

This of any use?
    http://www.universalnutrition.ie/viewproduct/214

I know it's out of stock but they had it up to a couple of days ago I'm sure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Exactly what I'm looking for. I'll give them a ring in the morning and see if they have or are getting any. I want something I can keep in my bag, and haul out when I need a snack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

or here:

http://www.sshealthfoods.com/pages.php?mprd=&prods=&page=lt.misc&wh=instone&x=11&y=11&gclid=CPmZ7sbt45YCFQXtlAodSg8-OQ

I think it is £10 for shipping but if you got a lot it would work out ok with the decent euro v sterling rate atm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I get powdered sugar free jelly. Make it up in a little water, then I blend up milk & unflavoured whey in a small blender. I then fold the hot jelly into the frothy mixture. When it sets it is like a mousse. You have to gently stir it a few times while setting of else it will sort of separate with more set jelly at the bottom, no big deal though.

I expect you could pour into smaller pots and freeze, they would also set faster. Actually you might actually like the separation, the thin layer of jelly at the bottom. I usually make a big bowl so prefer it all the same.

I did try making one with lots of protein and it did come out a little chalky. I have no real idea of quantities I use though, maybe a teacup or mug full of powder per packet of jelly.

I do a version at home, where I add the hot water to sugar free jelly and stir, then add a little of the hot liquid to a pot of cottage cheese and blend till it is smooth. I add some ice to the jelly to cool it until it starts to get, then add that to the blender and blitz. That gives a very nice protein mousse.

However, I was hoping for something that I could carry around with me, particularly when I go on holidays and there will be lots of really high calorie desserts. It's a lot easier to resist if I have something sweet to eat.

• Advertisement

I was on to them, and they were convinced that they would be able to get more, but this morning they said that tinned Protein Pudding was gone for good. Sob, sob.

Advertisement