Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Positions for GIS?

• 06-11-2008 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

I am currently thinking about taking on a geography course at university to learn about Geographical Information Systems. Military application is a an attractive direction to me for the change to travel, to do something different and I have always been interested in the area. I live in the north but the BA is out of the question so I was wondering is there much work in the south for those qualified in such fields?

Other queries. What would the training be like? I'm not too familiar with life in the military. Typically is the pay any good, although this isn't really a big issue. Is there much chance to go abroad? Is there much oppurtunity for promotion? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Leadership

Thats a strange request as most of us head to the BA for the opportunities.

Sorry but I cannot help you with the Irish Army but the BA has a great Geographic unit (Royal Engineers) that most the members have great sun tans all year round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Pand

Leadership wrote: »
    Thats a strange request as most of us head to the BA for the opportunities.

Sorry but I cannot help you with the Irish Army but the BA has a great Geographic unit (Royal Engineers) that most the members have great sun tans all year round.

I'm a republican and for moral reasons I cannot but thats beside the point. Does the IDF have a similar unit by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

.......:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

I know the Air Corps do a lot of aerial surveying for a few deparments, not just military work. Easiest thing to do is contact the Defence Forces and find out.

http://www.military.ie
    http://www.military.ie/dfhq/pubrel/contact.htm

Pand wrote: »
    I'm a republican and for moral reasons I cannot but thats beside the point. Does the IDF have a similar unit by any chance?

Sorry man, with that attitude you should aim for flipping burgers at McDonalds.

• Advertisement

concussion wrote: »
    I know the Air Corps do a lot of aerial surveying for a few deparments, not just military work. Easiest thing to do is contact the Defence Forces and find out.

http://www.military.ie
    http://www.military.ie/dfhq/pubrel/contact.htm

Thank you, I'll give them a contact and let the thread know. Of course I'm still just thinking at this stage.

What's with the personal attack, did I resort to BA bashing or something? Am I not allowed to have a opinion? They're just as valid as anyones, maybe you should grow up and learn some people have morals different to yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Republicans founded this State and the Army that defends it. Take a moment and think about that.

Hey Pand, I would have thought a career in GIS would have more opportunities in a civvie market. http://www.gis.com/careers/index.html

As for a career in the Military..Engineers, Logistics corp, Air force maybe. Oh and by the way don't let where your from stop you from entertaining every Military avenue, I believe the US have opportunities as well. Your life, your decision, your career.

F*ck sake I sound like a fecking recruit campaign;)

Hagar wrote: »
    Republicans founded this State and the Army that defends it. Take a moment and think about that.

Agreed I was harsh and I apologize for that! It was by no means delivered as a personal attack.

I will make the point that in this day and age we should look past the darker side of history and move on. If you are stuck in the past how do we move on?

The American don't view the American Revolution as their "darker days". The Republican ideal has been sullied by many in the meantime but let's not let them hijack it the way they seem to have hijacked the flag. They can only do it if we let them.

• Advertisement

iceage wrote: »
    Hey Pand, I would have thought a career in GIS would have more opportunities in a civvie market. http://www.gis.com/careers/index.html

As for a career in the Military..Engineers, Logistics corp, Air force maybe. Oh and by the way don't let where your from stop you from entertaining every Military avenue, I believe the US have opportunities as well. Your life, your decision, your career.

F*ck sake I sound like a fecking recruit campaign;)

Yeah but I’m looking for some adventure when I get out of uni so I want to keep an option like this open to me. I might consider going abroad, just thought the south might be good since it’s not a big move. But typically is the demand for this work high here and abroad? Also with Military Engineers and Logistics is there any chance for physical training, weapons etc or is it solely a desk jockey job?

Agreed I was harsh and I apologize for that! It was by no means delivered as a personal attack.

I will make the point that in this day and age we should look past the darker side of history and move on. If you are stuck in the past how do we move on?

That’s okay, but republicans have proved themselves to be of legitimate power by the majority of nationalist people in the north so no one can judge the will of the people. I think your living in the past of old Sinn Fein stereotyping by the south, we work progressively with unionists to deliver an effective assembly for the entire people of the north, we’re just going through problems at the moment like any power sharing government which lie with the refusal of both sides to agree, we want to get back to work. This is all I will say on the matter, we are going off topic.

Your right, seriously OT. If I might give you some info as to the Engineers and RLC, or any Regiment for that fact in the British Army, or if I might be so bold, the RAF for that matter.

You will undertake basic training like any soldier in the British Army and yes, without a doubt it will include plenty of PT, weapons training and tactics. Every member of the British Army goes through basic infantry training and funnily enough Leadership was the perfect man to ask! He's more up to date than I am (old bast*rd):D

What ever you decide, you obviously have a major interest in this field. You give it your best...wherever you decide to do it.

I think your living in the past of old Sinn Fein stereotyping by the south, we work progressively with unionists to deliver an effective assembly for the entire people of the north,

Do you seriously still think in terms of us and them? I this a wind up? Do you not just see people? Man..... you have to move on!

Also with Military Engineers and Logistics is there any chance for physical training, weapons etc or is it solely a desk jockey job?

Ok back on track again.

I can only let you know about the BA and few other countries that I worked closely with (US,Swedish, Dutch, Russian and even Israeli) etc.

Engineers from all over have a unofficial motto "First in Last out", you will not see much action on a mature deployment but on a new deployment there will be plenty. Again military engineering takes many forms and while some lads will be stuck in a fortified camp on a deployment for the whole 6 months other roles will be out on the ground in the thick of the action. Physical training focuses more on upper body strength due to the nature of the work but the standards are same as the regular army. From a non deployment perspective sunshine tours in the Engineers are common as they run various projects around the globe. I was in Kenya, Cyprus, Canada, US and even did a job in the Antarctic more often than not these will be construction or supporting the infantry by providing drinking water, helipad building, camp building etc.

Its a good job!

iceage wrote: »
    Your right, seriously OT. If I might give you some info as to the Engineers and RLC, or any Regiment for that fact in the British Army, or if I might be so bold, the RAF for that matter.

You will undertake basic training like any soldier in the British Army and yes, without a doubt it will include plenty of PT, weapons training and tactics. Every member of the British Army goes through basic infantry training and funnily enough Leadership was the perfect man to ask! He's more up to date than I am (old bast*rd):D

What ever you decide, you obviously have a major interest in this field. You give it your best...wherever you decide to do it.

All information on the matter is good for reference, that's nice to hear anyway I'd like the oppurtunity to improve myself physically aswell as the thrill of being out on the field. Then again there could be some interesting civvie jobs out there I'm not aware of yet, I've got time during the course to think it all through anyway.

Do you seriously still think in terms of us and them? I this a wind up? Do you not just see people? Man..... you have to move on!

...You don't know alot about northern politics do you? If you did, then you would notice it's not as bad as southern journilists paint it or even thats how educated republicans/nationalists think. I wouldn't expect anyone who doesn't live here to understand our situation anyway.

Ok back on track again.

I can only let you know about the BA and few other countries that I worked closely with (US,Swedish, Dutch, Russian and even Israeli) etc.

Engineers from all over have a unofficial motto "First in Last out", you will not see much action on a mature deployment but on a new deployment there will be plenty. Again military engineering takes many forms and while some lads will be stuck in a fortified camp on a deployment for the whole 6 months other roles will be out on the ground in the thick of the action. Physical training focuses more on upper body strength due to the nature of the work but the standards are same as the regular army. From a non deployment perspective sunshine tours in the Engineers are common as they run various projects around the globe. I was in Kenya, Cyprus, Canada, US and even did a job in the Antarctic more often than not these will be construction or supporting the infantry by providing drinking water, helipad building, camp building etc.

Its a good job!

Very helpful thank you, I was afraid the extent of this role would be in an office basically doing a civilian job. From the sounds of it, the travel oppurtunites sounds amazing and diverse, the work could also be the challange I might be up for. So you would recommend support roles in general as a great experiance then? I'm just doubtful it would end up more dour than expected. Also is there a chance to build on knowledge within military engineering like courses available within an army?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

i'd recommend support roles over combat arms pretty much anyday - the main difference being that you have a job to do regardless of whether your Army is fighting anyone or not (obviously combat arms do a lot of exercising, but its not really comparable).

i'm not in GIS myself, but i've a mate who was GIS RE for 8 years until about two years ago - he joined with decent A levels in relevent subjects (GIS is a 'cream' trade, you have to be pretty bright to be eligible) - and got his degree while he was serving. he now lives in Australia on very good money, had no problem getting visa's etc... and gets offers of work like its going out of fashion.

during his 8 years he probably spent 3 years at various training establishments in the UK and the rest was based in Germany from which he went to 46 other countries - yes he did a 6 month tour in Iraq, and another such in Kosovo - however most trips were relatively short in duration and could be anything from supporting an excercise in Oman or Kenya to spending a few months at the end of 2001 in lots of central Asian countries ending in 'istan' providing GIS support to the NATO invasion of Afghanistan. the work would be in small teams, all of whom would know their job and just get on with it without the normal rank structure that you'd equate with an Army.

i certainly understand that you have 'issues' with the idea of joining the BA, however i'd offer two things: firstly that the BA is the most widely spread army in Europe - you get a chance to practice your trade in a way that you couldn't with any other, with the French in close second and the others waaaaay behind, and secondly that without getting on a visit and talking to the relevent units you won't really know what the reality is like. talk to the AFCO, explain your situation and see if they can help - i know that they can be very discrete if thats what you'd wish, and at worst you waste a few days and get your prejudices confirmed, at best you get attractive options.

PM me if you'd like to talk about it.

i'd recommend support roles over combat arms pretty much anyday - the main difference being that you have a job to do regardless of whether your Army is fighting anyone or not (obviously combat arms do a lot of exercising, but its not really comparable).

Sounds really appealing, plus I wouldn't want to do PT all the time anyway
    i'm not in GIS myself, but i've a mate who was GIS RE for 8 years until about two years ago - he joined with decent A levels in relevent subjects (GIS is a 'cream' trade, you have to be pretty bright to be eligible) - and got his degree while he was serving. he now lives in Australia on very good money, had no problem getting visa's etc... and gets offers of work like its going out of fashion.

That's amazing news, I never knew there was such academic oppurtunites in the military, to be fully qualified I would need to take a post grad course in GIS from Geography but this is an interesting option. The great work oppurtunites was one of the reasons I chose the course, I'm glad your friend is succesful as a result of working in the area.
    during his 8 years he probably spent 3 years at various training establishments in the UK and the rest was based in Germany from which he went to 46 other countries - yes he did a 6 month tour in Iraq, and another such in Kosovo - however most trips were relatively short in duration and could be anything from supporting an excercise in Oman or Kenya to spending a few months at the end of 2001 in lots of central Asian countries ending in 'istan' providing GIS support to the NATO invasion of Afghanistan. the work would be in small teams, all of whom would know their job and just get on with it without the normal rank structure that you'd equate with an Army.

There was nothing I didn't like about that paragraph :)
    i certainly understand that you have 'issues' with the idea of joining the BA, however i'd offer two things: firstly that the BA is the most widely spread army in Europe - you get a chance to practice your trade in a way that you couldn't with any other, with the French in close second and the others waaaaay behind, and secondly that without getting on a visit and talking to the relevent units you won't really know what the reality is like. talk to the AFCO, explain your situation and see if they can help - i know that they can be very discrete if thats what you'd wish, and at worst you waste a few days and get your prejudices confirmed, at best you get attractive options.

I understand the great oppurtunites they offer, but it's a extremely important matter of principle to me. Contact for general information on the role I might consider in the future when I really get into the course. Other foreign nations (US etc) is a more attractive option than the BA if the IDF isn't that great for it which I assume from the thread.

Thanks for the info, was re affirming. I will contact if I have any further queries

I understand the great oppurtunites they offer, but it's a extremely important matter of principle to me. Contact for general information on the role I might consider in the future when I really get into the course. Other foreign nations (US etc) is a more attractive option than the BA if the IDF isn't that great for it which I assume from the thread.

Thanks for the info, was re affirming. I will contact if I have any further queries

based on the assumption that you live in the north - i'm fairly sure you said that earlier in the thread - and that you're eligible for a British passport, you could look into the citizenship requirements of some of the commonwealth Armies like Australia or Canada. Canada has the most deployed Army in NATO bar the US and UK so there'd be lots opportunities to practice your trade in various far-flung holiday spots.

good luck with it.

I have both british and Irish passports (doesn't hurt to have two), I looked into the requirements and from what I gather I don't think there is any preferrencial treatment for those in the commonwelth. The requirements for Australia are;
    You must be at least 17 years of age, and must be either an Australian citizen or hold Permanent Residency status

And for Canada;
    be a Canadian citizen;
    or Citizens of another country who have landed immigrant (Permanent Resident) status in Canada may also be considered for enrolment when the CF has need of their skill, when the position cannot be filled by a Canadian citizen, and if the national interest would not be prejudiced. However, only under exceptional circumstances will authority be granted to enrol a citizen of another country.

So is permanent residency status hard to obain in Austrailia or Canada is what I'm wondering now?

its probably a waste of time then - i had assumed that reciprical arrangements would be in place regarding commonwealth citizens - but if you're effectively going to have get citizenship before joining up then you could be looking at waiting for years - i think its about 5 years for Australia, so you'd have to get your professional qual, get accepted for residency, live there for 5 years, go through the citizenship process and only then apply to join the Army - you'd be about a hundred and five!

sorry, blind alley.

not sure about the septics, i know they take foreign folk - assuming you aren't eligible for a US passport - but i'm fairly sure they require you to be a legal resident before joining up. personally i'm not sure i'd fancy joining the US Army, as an officer you'd be unlikely to practice your specialism, and as enlisted personel they tend to have a very 'Prussian' attitude to discipline - lots of "siryessir,sirnosir" and absolutely no personal initiative required. they take the outward displays of patriotism thing very seriously as well - which personally makes my skin crawl...

i have a feeling you may be limited to the Irish and British Armies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭DublinDes

The tens of thousands of people in Iraq and Afghanistan are still experiencing the dark old days, day in, day out and will unfortunately for a long time to come. Fair play to anyone who comes on and wants to join the Irish Army and engage in real peace keeping efforts in 3rd world countries such as Chad, East Timor etc and have better morals than to join the Brits in wars of mass murder and oppression as they cling onto America pretending their some sort of world power.
    Ok back on track again.

Its a good job!

Amazing, you sound remarkably like our old friends - Pathfinder and Vesp.....:rolleyes:.....A mine of useless information about joining the never ending source of fun and oppurtunites - the Brits. Sorta - " Don't watse your time on the so called Irish ' Army ', join the real army, the best and greatest army in the world, the British army " :rolleyes: Your about as much from Cork as my big toe.

If someone says they don't want to join the Brits due to moral issues, then don't hassle them. If you didn't know this is an IRISH forum, boards.IE. If someone wants to join the Irish army fair play to them, don not come on castigating them why they should be joining the Brits instead.

Yawn....Politics, in a Military forum.....yawn.

DublinDes wrote: »
    Amazing, you sound remarkably like our old friends - Pathfinder and Vesp.....:rolleyes:.....A mine of useless information about joining the never ending source of fun and oppurtunites - the Brits.
    Very knowledgeable about forum history for someone who has only posted here 3 times.

While I'm checking out your pedigree, you read the charter.

OS119 wrote: »
    its probably a waste of time then - i had assumed that reciprical arrangements would be in place regarding commonwealth citizens - but if you're effectively going to have get citizenship before joining up then you could be looking at waiting for years - i think its about 5 years for Australia, so you'd have to get your professional qual, get accepted for residency, live there for 5 years, go through the citizenship process and only then apply to join the Army - you'd be about a hundred and five!

I thought you only need to acquire permanent residency status to join?

I also looked at the permanent residency article in wikipedia and it says
    They also cannot join Canada's armed forces or be conscripted.

Which completely contradicts the earlier statement I got from a Canadian gov website. The whole process is kinda long and confusing, I think I'll leave the idea for the moment, I've the next few years to think about it anyway, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭delos

OP, if you are interested in GIS simply doing the GIS component of a geography degree is unlikely to cut it when it comes to getting a job.

I'm not too sure where your at at the moment but you should be looking at a course in a department that has a strong tradition of physical geography that will also allow you do several modules in GIS and some Remote Sensing modules too. After this you would want to look at a postgraduate course or some professional courses (say some of the ESRI courses for example). Don't overlook getting some more remote sensing experience too. Do this and you could have a very good career ahead of you.

This is a lot of work and if you want to / can combine it with a military career that would be great as it would offset some of the costs and provide good experience.

All in all if I was 25 years younger, I would seriously consider this route.

Sorry if this is a bit OT, but hopfully it will give you something to think about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭DublinDes

Hagar wrote: »
    Very knowledgeable about forum history for someone who has only posted here 3 times.

While I'm checking out your pedigree, you read the charter.
    I've been posting here since 05-03-2008 http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55303014&postcount=3

As for what I had to say about the Pathfinder/Vesp characters, I remember reading someone's post complianing about them, their alleged 3 tours of duty with the Parachute regiment etc

Advertisement