Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with my dell laptop.

Options
  • 06-11-2008 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

I purchased my laptop (XPS m1330) from dell roughly 6 months ago. I have used in a normal respect making sure not to cause damage or void any warrenty. After I had purchased my laptop: dell had issued a statement that ALL graphics cards in the m1330 and many more were flawed due to their provider "nvidia" using sub-par materials. LINK.

One week ago. my laptop Graphics card failed due to this material defect in all DELL XPS m1330s.

My CPU has also been operating WAY above it's designed theremal capacity due to poor heatsink design from DELL. thus leading to less reliability and drastically less life-span.

I have written to dell technical support months ago voicing my concerns and asking for a solution. they replied that they couldn't do anything unless there were symptoms. so thats the pre-empted concern shot down in smoke.

now my laptop has seriously failed due to Dells and nVidias neglegence.

This material and design flaw that are accounting for an estimated 40% failure rate amounst my type of laptop seems absolutly neglegent

This seems to me to breach due of my statuatory rights.

Under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980, anything you buy from a retailer must be:

of merchantable quality
    fit for its normal purpose, and reasonably durable

I am awaiting a reply from Dell technical service as I have just recently repoted the failure. The thing is, Dell will almost definatly only offer a repair or replacement. The thing is: ALL graphics cards have been reported below standard and therefore the repair/replacement cannot in any way be garaunteed to function as promised for the years or even months ahead. after all, mine failed after 6 months and forums have literally been INUNDATED with failures.

My question: Am I within my rights to refuse a repair/replacement and insist upon a full refund?

thanks for your time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

anyone?

it's kinda urgent....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

You are entitled to a refund in the first month of ownership after that it is at the suppliers discretion whether to offer a refund or not. So no you are not entitled.

If I were you I would accept the repair and try negotiate to have warranty period extended by at least another year at no cost to yourself. If they refuse that you will be in a stronger position tha n if you just refuse their offer of repair.

why only the first month?

Do my statiatory rights disappear after a month?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

why only the first month?

Do my statiatory rights disappear after a month?
    Repair, replace, refund in that order.

It's been covered plenty of times on this forum, use the search facility.

A word to the wise, try not to be so impatient in future.

I know that thats the order in which Dell can deal with my product. BUT, I wrote in my post that ALL componants; original, refurbished, or replacement parts have been reported to be defective. ALL....no exceptions.

so, a repair or replacement will not solve the problem, but rather just delay it again. I cannot afford to live with such an unreliable product. for €1000+ I expect my product to fulfill its purpose worry free. not to be time bomb. and a reapir or replacement componant will just reset the clocks so to speak. so what, I just wait my 6 months again and am forced to go through the same waste of time procedure?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

I had the same problem with my xps m1330, with statutory rights thy are there to protect consumer and retailer. Dell at their discretion can repair, refund or replace for the first time. If they choose to repair then that repair must be permanent. If the repair isn't permanent then you are entitled to a replacement or refund.

Edit-i understand what you're saying about dell having a duty of care to customers but as you'll more than likely find out they just don't care. If you search in this forum and the computers/laptops forums for dell and/or m1330 you'll find a lot of these stories. Perhaps you should write a complaint to the national consumer agency. With enough complaints they might take some action against dell.

Advertisement