Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long to setup a current account with AIB?

Options
  • 06-11-2008 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

If I go into an AIB branch and assuming there's no queue how long does it take to setup a new current account?

They validate my IDs / POAs and then I fill out a simple form. I'm assuming only 5 or 10 mins tops ?

Anyone done it recently?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

I assume you don't have any accounts with AIB at present? Are you switching from another Bank or just opening an account for the first time?

Are you asking as to how long before the account is open and operational or just how long you will spend with the bank official?

Don't know the precise times, but I would imagine it would take days before the account is open and operational (and you've received your maestro and PIN). If you're getting an overdraft, then again that would have to take some time to get approved and set up. Also the validation and recording of your ID would not just be done in the branch, but would have to be sent to HQ to be officially recorded (This is all CJA requirements, and nothing to do with the bank itself).

If you're just asking how long you will have to spend in the bank, then yeah, once you have all the documentation, then it shouldn't take too long. I would imagine it's just a case of filling out a form and, signing it and handing over all you ID's to get copied.

To speed things up, I imagine you have already done this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I currently have a current account but it was so long ago when I set it up that I've been advised I need the various ID / POA again.

My current current account is with another branch of AIB to the one I'm setting this account up in.

I'm not changing anything from another bank.

My question is really how long I'm gonna be in the bank .. hoping to pop in from work but obviously time is a major factor.

I did not know I could pre-fill out a form. I will get on that now !!

Thanks

Well, if you have all the documentation (Passport/Driving license, recent bills and statements etc) - really, bring more than you think you need, as the CJA requirements are pretty strict - then I would imagine it should only take a few minutes at the counter.

But don't quote me on that as I don't work in a branch!

If you want to know for certain, you could always give them a ring before hand to get an idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I can safely say that you're going to need an appointment, so a phone or a face to face call will be needed.

stepbar wrote: »
    I can safely say that you're going to need an appointment, so a phone or a face to face call will be needed.
    What's this based on? I rang the help centre and they advised I can do it anything at customer services ?

• Advertisement

I don't think an appointment is necessary. It'd be differnet if you were applying for a mortgage/complex loan, but a current account is pretty run-of-the-mill.

As I said, don't work in a branch so don't know for sure, but I would be surprised if an appointment was necessary (also, the website just says to "Call into your local AIB Branch" with the forms. I would imagine they would specify "appointment" if they wanted you to make one).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

dotsman wrote: »
    I don't think an appointment is necessary. It'd be differnet if you were applying for a mortgage/complex loan, but a current account is pretty run-of-the-mill.

As I said, don't work in a branch so don't know for sure, but I would be surprised if an appointment was necessary (also, the website just says to "Call into your local AIB Branch" with the forms. I would imagine they would specify "appointment" if they wanted you to make one).

Seriously dudes, I'm not saying this for the craic. Call into my branch and see what will happen. If it's in Dublin City Centre then more than likely an appointment will be needed (most banks in the cc operate on this basis).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Random wrote: »
    If I go into an AIB branch and assuming there's no queue how long does it take to setup a new current account?

They validate my IDs / POAs and then I fill out a simple form. I'm assuming only 5 or 10 mins tops ?

Anyone done it recently?

Thanks

Opening up an accont the other month, ten minutes of form filling and photo copying of ID etc.

I would imagine the time in the queue might actually be the biggest killer..

just did it today. Not a city centre branch. Walked in. Queued for 5 mins. At counter for ten. Account will be on my online banking by monday.

Thanks for replys. That online form saved me a couple of mins too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

Seriously dudes, I'm not saying this for the craic. Call into my branch and see what will happen. If it's in Dublin City Centre then more than likely an appointment will be needed (most banks in the cc operate on this basis).

This is true and not just of city centre branches. It really depends on how busy the branch is the moment you walk in. If you have an account in another branch of that bank then its a much quicker process as your information is already on file. If you don't then it can take about half an hour as usually they open the account with you present in order to go through and have the correct information. After that you should allow a week for you card/pin etc.

As much as possible they would try and facilitate "walk in" requests though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement