Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway drivers, worst in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

If it wasn't for the fact that I might be seriously injured, I'd ****ing let a crash happen the next time I'm cycling and some jerkwad in a beamer cuts me off to turn left.

I'm unemployed. I could use a nice little settlement.

Edit: I'm obviously really really really kidding.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭cL0h

Das Kitty wrote: »

Originally Posted by cL0h
    "when it comes to cyclists they all get tarred with the same brush"

No one here did that. We're just having a go at the stupid ones.

Ah yeah they did
    paulhannon wrote: »
    CYCLISTS: BUY SOME ****ING LIGHTS & REFLECTIVE GEAR YOU STUPID C**TS! OH AND BY THE WAY, TRAFFIC LIGHTS AND ONE WAY STREETS APPLY TO YOU TOO!!!

ASSES!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

It's obvious he didn't mean all cyclists.

The name of this thread is "Galway Drivers, Worst in Ireland?"

Do you think OP thinks that just because you're from Galway you're one of the worst Drivers in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Xiney wrote: »
    If it wasn't for the fact that I might be seriously injured, I'd ****ing let a crash happen the next time I'm cycling and some jerkwad in a beamer cuts me off to turn left.

Way to generalise there ya bint!

All cyclists are retarted cnuts who think they can do whatever they want on the road without even looking. See, not nice to generalise is it? :pac:

how did I generalise?
    If I was going to go for a settlement, I'm certainly not going to let the guy in an 88 fiat punto with unmatching panels hit me am I?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Stevo11

:D
    LMAO! Brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭VanhireBoys

how did I generalise?
    If I was going to go for a settlement, I'm certainly not going to let the guy in an 88 fiat punto with unmatching panels hit me am I?

The Punto didnt come out until '94 BTW

Donns flameproof suit and hides in the corner :D:D

I was expecting that, but I couldn't think of a crappier car off the top of my head!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭damalo

Galway drivers and roundabouts dont add up - crossing lanes is the biggest problem around ballybrit/oranmore etc - they should really have lanes painted differently on roundabouts to make people more concious of what they're at. I've no hesitation on leaning on the horn when people cut me up - I did it once when I started driving and when someone blew me out of it I learnt the lesson

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Way to generalise there ya bint!

All cyclists are retarted cnuts who think they can do whatever they want on the road without even looking. See, not nice to generalise is it? :pac:

Exactly!
    Women are particularly bad drivers. They get lost driving to the shops and should stay at home and do the dishes or their nails or something.

• Advertisement

Well **** then

since I'm a woman cyclist I guess you'd all better stay home :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

how did I generalise?

What difference would it make what car you decided to run into to have run you down? If you were unfortunate to get knocked down by a car and claimed, i'm sure the payout would be the same regardless of whether you got hit by a Nazi in a Veyron or a Nun in a Starlet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Cole

A first for me today. I actually saw the Gardai in Galway engaging in traffic policing...apart from that ridiculous 'fish in a barrel' speed trap I've seen a couple of times approaching the Briarhill roundabout.

Marked car sitting on the Headford road roundabout and another in Oranmore, on the roundabout at the Quality Hotel.

However, the drivers of Galway were still carrying on with their unique interpretation of the rules of the road, on the Headford road roundabout.

Maybe I'm making assumptions about the policing aspect of their presence. It was around 1 o'clock, maybe the roundabout was as good a place as any to park up for lunch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭VanhireBoys

Galway is not cycle friendly in fairness. The city roads themselves are narrow. You are expected to cycle in a 6" strip... Add in an impatient,ignorant, incompetant driver and thats where your accident happens. I both drive and cycle so I see both sides.

Drivers: Lets have a bit of sense. Give a rider a bit of room - you cant see that rock pothole or drain which will make a cyclist swerve out into the path of your vehicle

Cyclists: Dont go riding with tunnel vision. .. Do you know who/what is behind you...? Think before you make your move... And leave that f**kin' iPod at home

Cole wrote: »
    A first for me today. I actually saw the Gardai in Galway engaging in traffic policing...apart from that ridiculous 'fish in a barrel' speed trap I've seen a couple of times approaching the Briarhill roundabout.

Marked car sitting on the Headford road roundabout and another in Oranmore, on the roundabout at the Quality Hotel.

However, the drivers of Galway were still carrying on with their unique interpretation of the rules of the road, on the Headford road roundabout.

Maybe I'm making assumptions about the policing aspect of their presence. It was around 1 o'clock, maybe the roundabout was as good a place as any to park up for lunch?

The traditional Christmas 'don't drink and drive' presence perhaps? They are trying to get it done early so they can relax for the rest of the holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

On the Dual Carriageway between Ballybrit and Oranmore on Friday people out hogging the outside/overtaking lane driving at 60-70 kmh. Do they not realise that this is illegal and that they're holding everyone up? Why don't the police pull people for this in Galway?

On the Ennis Bypass Dual Carriageway on the same day and everyone stays in the left lane and only used the overtaking lane for overtaking! Result - everyone can go at their own pace and no hold ups.
    damalo wrote: »
    Galway drivers and roundabouts dont add up - crossing lanes is the biggest problem around ballybrit/oranmore etc - they should really have lanes painted differently on roundabouts to make people more concious of what they're at. I've no hesitation on leaning on the horn when people cut me up - I did it once when I started driving and when someone blew me out of it I learnt the lesson

Was just going to bring this up.

I was down in Limerick on Friday and the roundabouts down there seem to have the lanes painted on them. Didn't see one person cut a lane on a RAB the whole day I was driving around down there.

I think Galway drivers are bad but I also think our roads (especially our roundabouts) are almost purpose built to be confusing and don't help the situation.

Sign posts and road/lane markings seem to be a lot better/clearer down there IMO.
    Cole wrote: »

Saw them on a few roundabouts aswell. I don't think it made people drive any better though!

KevR wrote: »

Saw them on a few roundabouts aswell. I don't think it made people drive any better though!

i never break 100 goin out there anymore cause of them so i guess it worked..

i never break 100 goin out there anymore cause of them so i guess it worked..

Sorry, I wasn't really referring to breaking the speed limit as such. I meant more that people were still cutting lanes on RABs, using wrong lanes on RABs and driving in the overtaking lane when not overtaking.

Some fool cut across me on the roundabout with the Garda patrol car parked and literally looking straight at them! I had to slam on the brakes and blew my horn. I'm pretty sure the Gaurds would have seen it but they didn't do anything which sends out a message to bad/ignorant drivers.

I just don't think their 'presence' alone is good enough. They need to start pulling people over for bad driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

KevR wrote: »
    On the Dual Carriageway between Ballybrit and Oranmore on Friday people out hogging the outside/overtaking lane driving at 60-70 kmh. Do they not realise that this is illegal and that they're holding everyone up? Why don't the police pull people for this in Galway?

Sure we had someone a few months ago writing into to the advertiser complaining about people driving close behind them and passing them on the left when they were sitting in overtaking lane.
    They felt that because they were turing right in a few miles they were justified in staying there :rolleyes:

dloob wrote: »
    Sure we had someone a few months ago writing into to the advertiser complaining about people driving close behind them and passing them on the left when they were sitting in overtaking lane.
    They felt that because they were turing right in a few miles they were justified in staying there :rolleyes:

Yeah he/she was clueless. Although, it's far far worse to tailgate and flash your lights (I believe this was said) than to do what the writer was doing. That's just making something irritating dangerous.

Listening to Ray D'Arcy some morning last week someone texted in asking them to tell people that the outside lane is for overtaking only. Some brightspark texted back saying that "That's a UK law, it doesn't apply in the Republic." I can't believe they read out the response (or either) without checking the rules of the road. That's how this kind of misinformation gets spread.

• Advertisement

Yeah he/she was clueless. Although, it's far far worse to tailgate and flash your lights (I believe this was said) than to do what the writer was doing. That's just making something irritating dangerous.

Listening to Ray D'Arcy some morning last week someone texted in asking them to tell people that the outside lane is for overtaking only. Some brightspark texted back saying that "That's a UK law, it doesn't apply in the Republic." I can't believe they read out the response (or either) without checking the rules of the road. That's how this kind of misinformation gets spread.

During the last world cup I was driving back to Frankfurt Hahn (Ryanair of course) from Kaiserslautern on a Sunday evening. I was (wrongly) in the middle lane of a totally empty 5 lane Autobahn. The road was of course perfectly straight, level and the surface was excellent. I was listening to a CD and enjoying the drive and didn't see a large BMW approach from behind. He was in the right most lane (i.e the lane furthest from the middle of the road, they drive on the right) and two lanes away from me but he still smoothly pulled across three lanes to overtake me on the correct side and then back across to the right hand lane before disappearing over the horizon.
    He could have zoomed past me on the inside and no one would have been any the wiser but he still followed the rules of the road. At the time I thought that's why the Germans have roads with no speed limit because they all follow the rules properly and no one gets confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

Of course he may have just done it to make a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

I'm from Galway but live in Dublin and I can honestly say I prefer driving in Dublin whenever I go down to Galway I end up half paranoid by the way other people drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭paulhannon

Driving home earlier in the dark and as usual come across a few cars driving with no lights on, quite a common and growing sight lately.
    But the best/worst yet was watching an Ambulance with no lights on go through a red light! No lights at all, no blues and twos, nothing!

Now I've seen loads of guards demonstrate **** driving without any blue lights or siren (speeding, tailgating, braking lights, no indicating, picking up girls outside CP during race week one year and dropping them up to the student accommodation across from GMIT) but i was very disappointed with seeing an ambulance do that! :(

Did anyone spot the court case of the fella who was caught taking the wrong lane on the Oranmore roundabout in the papers during the week?

Saw a classic this week. Was coming from the Parkmore side onto the Briarhill roundabout and was at the top of the queue on the inside lane. the fella next to me was blabbing away with his phone up to his ear. There was a squad car coming around the roundabout. The dimwit next to me either doesn't notice, or doesn't process this and darts out in front of the cops onto the roundabout still yapping away. Last I saw of him he was Ballybrit bound with the squad car following him with the lights on. I wonder did he finish his conversation before pulling over...

Did anyone spot the court case of the fella who was caught taking the wrong lane on the Oranmore roundabout in the papers during the week?

Didn't see this. Which paper was it in?

I'm glad the Gardai have pulled someone for doing this. And also glad that it has been publicised - hopefully it will discourage others from doing it..

Can't remember, I was going to say Advertiser of last week but I think it could have been the Independent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

I remember reading it this week in one of the local rags

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

To the silly bitch in the 08 navy Corsa who undertook me in the hard shoulder at the junction in Loughgeorge last sunday at 14:04 pm while we were turning left, my wife took a picture of your actions, when printed it's going to the gardai.

• Advertisement

Saw a taxi driver today breaking a red light on the Shopping Centre roundabout while talking on his phone!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement