Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway drivers, worst in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭con71

+1 on the N17 and the idiots tailgating, I've done a lot of driving and this road takes the biscuit for it. However, I have little or no sympathy for those driving at 40-50mph. If conditions permit then they should be making reasonable progress, this is even marked on the test and you can fail on it.

If they are causing a tailback and impeding other drivers, when it is possible to safely and temporarily pull into the hard shoulder to let traffic pass (as per the rules of the road), then like it or not they are driving without due care and attention/consideration (which is an offence) and are a contributory factor to accidents. Simply put, they are incompetent and shouldn't be on the road.

Actually i wish you were right on that point but after a few irate phone calls and emails to the An Garda shocolaide they are entitled to drive at a speed considered to be safe to them. The slow driver must pull into the margin and stop to allow others to overtake as you can no longer legally travel on the margin. I don't think anyone will ever pull in and stop out of he goodness of their hearts.

All their cars should be fitted with remote controled rockets. More competent drivers should then be allowe to activate these as they see fit to keep traffic flowing.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭MackDeToaster

con71 wrote: »
    Actually i wish you were right on that point but after a few irate phone calls and emails to the An Garda shocolaide they are entitled to drive at a speed considered to be safe to them. The slow driver must pull into the margin and stop to allow others to overtake as you can no longer legally travel on the margin.

Eh, I thought that applied only to motorways ?? If that's the case the rules of the road needs to be updated fast, check what it says on the fifth sign at http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/traffic-signs-road-markings/road-markings.html

Also, there have been several occasions where I have actually seen de Gardai zoom up and flag over a car who was holding traffic up. Hmmm :confused:

I had a look at that... very interestinc. Maybe Plod should go back to Templemore.
    I have to say, I've never seen the Gaurds pulling someone over for slow driving. I'd love to see it. I'd have to pull over myself to wipe away the tears of joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Eh, I thought that applied only to motorways ?? If that's the case the rules of the road needs to be updated fast, check what it says on the fifth sign at http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/traffic-signs-road-markings/road-markings.html

Also, there have been several occasions where I have actually seen de Gardai zoom up and flag over a car who was holding traffic up. Hmmm :confused:

It's only on motorways where you cannot/must not use the layby.
    I wish everyone would know that though - and use the bleedin' layby to let people pass on country roads. I'm sure this would prevent a lot of accidents cause by impatient drivers because some gimp decides to do 50 km/h (which is fine if you don't want to go faster for any reasons - but then at least be considerate towards other drivers and PULL OVER!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭VanhireBoys

And then when you pass out these imbeciles they flash their headlights continously to say "You idiot - you are single handidly responsible for ALL the road deaths in this country."

People like these have no respect and are totally oblivious to the poor souls (40 off) who are stuck behind them.

Remember also "Its Number 2 that causes the queue" You get the numpty who is about 12" off the the donkey and "afraid" to overtake. The road is clear and the road is wide but they still wont overtake..... This has the knock on effect of you having to overtake about 20 cars ahead. Easy in a Porsche but damn dangerous in a Ford Focus diesel.

Id love one of them bullbars that are fitted to the american cruiser police cars - but I dont so I just have to trundle along behind in a daze like everyone else... and wait - and wait - and wait - and wait - and wait

• Advertisement

I'd also like to draw attention to the numbnuts driving the Coke trucks from Tuam to Galway around 7am. 35mph this morning!!!
    Probably left early to avoid the traffic and then thought the place being delivered to won't be open till 8.30 so "I might as well take my time. Jesus the road is awful clear ahead. No sign of any cars at all!" That's because we're all behind you you ASS!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Labhaoise

galwayrush wrote: »
    I dread seeing a MO reg car at one of the roundabouts.:rolleyes:
    There are a few of us that understand the logic of roundabouts!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭paulhannon

Labhaoise wrote: »
    There are a few of us that understand the logic of roundabouts!!;)

Would be able to pass on that logic to the rest of the MO reg clan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

paulhannon wrote: »
    Would be able to pass on that logic to the rest of the MO reg clan?

This is ridiculous. Galway drivers (G) regs are the majority in Galway and most of them haven't a clue in the world.

If there was competency in Galway already then maybe the mayo drivers might follow suit. Do you want us Mayo people to start leading the standard for driving in Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Do you want us Mayo people to start leading the standard for driving in Galway?

Well someone has to, and the G people haven't done it so far .... :D

And seeing as how Mayo people do know how to build good roads, they may well have some extra knowledge about how to drive well too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭paulhannon

This is ridiculous. Galway drivers (G) regs are the majority in Galway and most of them haven't a clue in the world.

If there was competency in Galway already then maybe the mayo drivers might follow suit. Do you want us Mayo people to start leading the standard for driving in Galway?

I was joking and I'm sorry I offended you.

But you know I think you're absolutely right and I agree with what you say. It's a case of monkey see monkey do i think. If more people started following the rules of the road better, instead of running red lights, not indicating, being a cock etc. then just maybe others might catch on and follow suit.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Oh no it's this thread again!!

Coming up to the Tuam road roundabout yesterday. I was in the inside lane and there was quite a holdup in the outer lane. When I got to the top I noticed there was a black Punto stopped at the top of the outer lane, which I assumed was broken down. All the cars behind it were trying to come round it. When I got to the top I realised that no, it wasn't broken down (break lights were lit and there were no hazards and the engine was running), but it's driver had stopped to text! She was sitting there not a bother on her finishing up her text.

Only a woman driver would do something so idiotic whilst driving.

As for the car that cut into my lane as I was pulling onto the roundabout and almost hit me, well only a man could do something so blatantly dangerous whilst driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

paulhannon wrote: »
    i think its ridiculous that i'm not allowed to mount a machine gun on my bonnet and kill these people!
    You can but you have to say it's for killing pests on your land rather than killing people.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭CPG

Newsflash !!!! There are crap drivers all over Ireland, no county is better or worse than another. "Let he who is without sin" Go to the motors section lots of whingers in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

On the way to work this evening I passed a guy cycling a bike on the road of the N6 Northern Ring Road (as I'm now calling it) between the Menlo Park RAB and Tuam Rd RAB. There is a perfectly smooth cycle path on both sides of this stretch of road. He needs his head examined when he opts to go on the road mixing with cars, vans and trucks doing 100kmh when there is a perfectly good cycle path that would have kept him away/safe from the traffic.

His own safety aside, it was causing people to brake hard and/or change lanes suddenly. He could have caused a pile up with his stupidity.

PS - I know this is a thread about Galway drivers but this fella is a road user also so it's still relevant.

KevR wrote: »
    On the way to work this evening I passed a guy cycling a bike on the road of the N6 Northern Ring Road (as I'm now calling it) between the Menlo Park RAB and Tuam Rd RAB. There is a perfectly smooth cycle path on both sides of this stretch of road. He needs his head examined when he opts to go on the road mixing with cars, vans and trucks doing 100kmh when there is a perfectly good cycle path that would have kept him away/safe from the traffic.

His own safety aside, it was causing people to brake hard and/or change lanes suddenly. He could have caused a pile up with his stupidity.

PS - I know this is a thread about Galway drivers but this fella is a road user also so it's still relevant.

1) It's as legal for a cyclist to use the road as it is a car, van or truck.

2) The speed limit is not 100kmh on that road afaik. It's something like 50kmh. Did you not have a thread last month on the speed limits in Galway?

3) Why would you need to brake hard if you were going the speed limit and watching the road up ahead of you? It's not like the road is full of blind corners.

KevR - Your typical of the driving in Galway I see day in day out - you really need to examine your own knowledge of the rules of the road and stop preaching! :P

Oh and while I'm at it another problem in Galway is cyclists using footpaths and nearly knocking me down - I had a close call about a week ago - not the first time either - use the road! Cyclists if you must cycle on footpaths get a bell to warn people walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 WLPD

Bad and all as Tesco/Terryland RAB is at least lights controll speed a bit. On all others the main rule seems to be Get on there as fast as I can and go round as fast as I can and nobody else can even think about joining me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

One of my abiding memories of driving in Galway were the SLOW drivers.
    At least in my present abode I don't have to worry about that, Dublin drivers are faster, more decisive and also want to get to where ther going in reasonable time.
    My biggest gripe were the RV's which used to clog up the Oranmore to Ballyvaughan road in the Summer turning a 0.5 hour trip into a 1 hour journey at least.
    I used to go down there on day trips and it took an hour to do in the daytime.
    Imagine my surprise when I went down at night for a music session and it only took 30 minutes.
    All the slow drivers were off the road.

ESB truck drivers = slow.
    Log trucks on the Gort rd. = slow.
    Cattle lorries pulling trailer =very slow and smelly...............

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

1) It's as legal for a cyclist to use the road as it is a car, van or truck.
    Yes it might be perfectly legal but that doesn't make it right, sensible or safe. There was a cycle path. In my opinion, any cyclist who uses that road over the cycle path is stupid. Some people moan that it's too dangerous for cyclists in Galway and there aren't enough cycle lanes etc. How could we ever justify putting in more cycle lanes if people aren't going to bother using them and instead use the road?
    2) The speed limit is not 100kmh on that road afaik. It's something like 50kmh.
    Yes, the speed limit is 50kmh. But the fact is, right or wrong, most people drive well above this limit. Actual driving practice, rather than the limit, is what I would take into consideration when deciding to cycle or not cycle on a road.
    Did you not have a thread last month on the speed limits in Galway?
    I did indeed. Although I don't think it's hugely relevant to the point I made in this thread about the cyclist.
    3) Why would you need to brake hard if you were going the speed limit and watching the road up ahead of you? It's not like the road is full of blind corners.
    I wasn't going at the speed limit. Nobody was (again, people will have different opinions whether this is right or wrong). Traffic was heavy and you couldn't see the cyclist up ahead (there was a van in front of the car that was in front of me blocking him from view). People ahead of me started braking or swerving out into the other lane, then I saw the cyclist.
    KevR - Your typical of the driving in Galway I see day in day out - you really need to examine your own knowledge of the rules of the road and stop preaching! :P
    What sort of driving do you see day in day out? And how can you compare me to it when you don't know the first thing about my driving? I don't know how you concluded that I need to examine the rules of the road from my post. I never said it was illegal for him to cycle on the road, I said it was stupid/ dangerous to cycle on the road when there was a perfectly good cycle path that would have kept him away from the traffic.
    Oh and while I'm at it another problem in Galway is cyclists using footpaths and nearly knocking me down - I had a close call about a week ago - not the first time either - use the road! Cyclists if you must cycle on footpaths get a bell to warn people walking.
    I agree completely.

PS - I'm not anti-cyclist (just in case anyone thinks I am). I'm a cyclist myself. I just thought that lad in particular showed a serious lack of common sense. I also don't think all drivers are perfect - some are very far from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Agree with KevR 100%

It was perfectly clear that his post was referring to what was sensible rather than legal or illegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Completly agree with this sentiment. There are already quite a few cycle lanes in the city but every time i come across a cyclist in these areas they use the road instead, creating a danger for themselves and a nuisance to other road users. It's mind boggling!!

There was something nagging at the back of my head about this so I looked up the Rules of the Road.

They state:

"The table below sets down particular road traffic rules on cycling which you must obey.

[...and one section of the table states]

Do cycle on cycle tracks where they are provided."

http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-pedestrians-cyclists-motorcyclists/cyclists/cyclists_other-road-users.html

So Kevr was suggesting something sensible and his sensible suggestion is mirrored as a rule in the Rules of the Road.

And now that I've figured out how to link things, I'm on a roll............Roundabouts.

http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/junctions-roundabouts/roundabouts.html

I attach the link to the Rules about Roundabouts for all the muppets in Galway (and on this thread unfortunately), who can't figure out how to use them. You will note that there is no reference to 6 o'clock, 12 o'clock or 2nd exit, 3rd exit or any of that nonsense. A roundabout is simply a method of regulating a junction and as with any junction you can go left, straight and right. So please, all the "experts" who referred here to various "Rules" they'd made up or heard of, have a read of the actual rules.

As I recall KevR previously understood the rules on roundabouts as well. What's happening to me? I'm agreeing with people here today :D

KevR wrote: »
    Yes it might be perfectly legal but that doesn't make it right, sensible or safe. There was a cycle path. In my opinion, any cyclist who uses that road over the cycle path is stupid. Some people moan that it's too dangerous for cyclists in Galway and there aren't enough cycle lanes etc. How could we ever justify putting in more cycle lanes if people aren't going to bother using them and instead use the road?

Yes, the speed limit is 50kmh. But the fact is, right or wrong, most people drive well above this limit. Actual driving practice, rather than the limit, is what I would take into consideration when deciding to cycle or not cycle on a road.

I did indeed. Although I don't think it's hugely relevant to the point I made in this thread about the cyclist.

I wasn't going at the speed limit. Nobody was (again, people will have different opinions whether this is right or wrong). Traffic was heavy and you couldn't see the cyclist up ahead (there was a van in front of the car that was in front of me blocking him from view). People ahead of me started braking or swerving out into the other lane, then I saw the cyclist.

What sort of driving do you see day in day out? And how can you compare me to it when you don't know the first thing about my driving? I don't know how you concluded that I need to examine the rules of the road from my post. I never said it was illegal for him to cycle on the road, I said it was stupid/ dangerous to cycle on the road when there was a perfectly good cycle path that would have kept him away from the traffic.

I agree completely.

PS - I'm not anti-cyclist (just in case anyone thinks I am). I'm a cyclist myself. I just thought that lad in particular showed a serious lack of common sense. I also don't think all drivers are perfect - some are very far from it.

I agree with most of what you said. I just took you up the wrong way. You sounded like you were oblivious to the speed limit there. I don't agree to that speed limit either. You don't have to use a cycling lane as a cyclist - your still entitled to use the road I think - is that cycle path clearly marked as a cycle path? Has it a bad surface I wonder? Of course you will always have the odd fool that goes and does the opposite even if you spell it out for them anyway.

I think that alot of people drive too close to the cars in front of them - this limits reaction time and often causes you to use your brakes hard. If there was loads of space between all the cars nobody should really have had to hit their brakes real hard or swerve their cars.

So many people cycle on the footpaths that I'd say most people think that's what there supposed to do. I thought you didn't know any better either.

I concluded that you were a tailgater (or driving much less than a good safe distance) speeding down that road. Plenty of them around. That's what I meant by I see people like you day in and day out. You have proved me wrong on nearly everything but this up to now.

Why do you think those cars had to brake suddently and swerve - do you not think this was unavoidable? Should the cyclist have been at risk other than the speed of cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Can someone clarify for me the orientation of the exits on the roundabout at menlo?

Was on the way home from college today and saw a near miss when a car coming from the Tuam road roundabout went to go straight on while on the outside lane of the roundabout( left lane entry, heading towards menlo) and an ambulance on the inside lane went to go left (towards dunnes terryland).

I know it is regular practice for people in both lanes coming from the tuam road roundabout to go left. In fact I see it every morning but I'm wondering if the menlo exit is classified as straight on thus granting people in the left lane the right to go straight on.

Personally if i want to go straight on to menlo at that roundabout I'll go in the right lane just to be safe.

I'll drop up a picture if there's any confusion about what I'm talking about.

Caliden wrote: »

I know it is regular practice for people in both lanes coming from the tuam road roundabout to go left.

This is a regular practice that I only see regularly in Galway! And just cause it happens regularly doesn't mean it's correct. A car in the left lane coming from Tuam direction would correctly take the left lane to go in the direction of Menlo (as they are going straight). A muppet in the other lane (the overtaking lane of the dual carriageway) using that lane to go towards Dunnes would cut across that car causing a crash. I've recently seen a person knocked off a motorbike in these circumstances on another roundabout and when I recounted that here, some genius on this board decided that it was the bikes fault! So that's what you're up against.

I'm sorry, I can't understand the rest of your post and anyway I'd be slow to criticise an Ambulance driver (or suggest that they are subject to the same rules as the rest of us), who may be driving in an emergency situation.

Caliden wrote: »
    ing from the tuam road roundabout to go left. In fact I see it every morning but I'm wondering if the menlo exit is classified as straight on thus granting people in the left lane the right to go straight on.

Personally if i want to go straight on to menlo at that roundabout I'll go in the right lane just to be safe.

You should only use the left lane to go to Menlo and Dunnes.
    The ambulance was wrong - but they can go anywhere in an emergency.

Hardly anyone in Galway uses roundabouts properly though. Some get the lanes right but then don't use their indicators.

It's a massive hazard. Worst of all if you crash into somebody that cut across you on the roundabout you can be held liable even if they are in the wrong lane. It happened to someone on the roundabout with the lights who is a member here. Where does that leave those of us that want to use a roundabout properly? - liable to thousands of euros worth of damage that's what! Cop on and use the roundabout properly (not directed specifically at you Caliden - you are at least interested in learning about using them)

Regarding tailgaters - you may not give a f*ck about ramming the front of your car but I care about the back of mine. Even if you do crash into me and pay for the damage - it wastes my time, is a serious inconvenience and it affects the resale value of my car. Benefits for you are better fuel consumption and longer lasting brakes and the benefits for all of us are the eradication of phantom traffic jams due to the brake light effect.

That Roundabout with lights is a disaster. What many don't realise is that if road marking indicate other than the general rules, then the road marking take priority. Thus at that roundabout, coming from Menlo direction with Dunnes to your felt, you can take the centre lane to turn right over the bridge, as that is indicated by the road markings.

Why can't the RSA run an ad campaign to show how to use Roundabouts? I bet you most of us here (who're old enough) can still sign the "Safe Cross Code" song :D - a memorable ad campaign could save lives.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Would motorists here tolerate parked cars taking up half the road, so that only one motorist can get past at a time? Does any motorist want to apologise on behalf of drivers for deliberately abandoning their 1.6m wide vans, cars and one corpo van on double yellows and footpaths on a busy pedestrian route?

The reason I ask this? the Novena is on and all those motorists have abandoned their cars on University Road footpaths so pedestrians have to queue up to get past a fixed structure and a piece of metal in single file or alternatively risk their lives like i did and wander on the N59 dodging passing passenger-door mirrors *rant over*

• Advertisement

snubbleste wrote: »
    Would motorists here tolerate parked cars taking up half the road, so that only one motorist can get past at a time?

We have no choice unfortunately but I wouldn't do it. The footpath is for pedestrians only. Not cars - ever. Some people park on the footpath to use their mobile phones aswell - f*ck off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement