Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

golf mk3 1.6gl overheating

Options
  • 06-11-2008 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

i bought a golf few days ago and it keeps on over heating, the car had been sat around for a few weeks, but basically i drove it home without a problem then it started to over heat.

there is no white smoke or milky oil, and the water pump is working(there is pressure going through the tubes)

the radiator dose not seem to get hot though.

oh and im not loosing any water, any body know???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭BrianD3

If the radiator does not get hot you may have a faulty/stuck closed thermostat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 p0u1

is that the one on the front of the radiator, the one what tells the fan to turn on?

No, that's the fan switch. The themostat is a kind of flap/spring in the cooling system that controls coolant flow into the radiator. If it doesn't open as it should you will get reduced or no coolant flow into the radiator.

so would that be located where the tubing meets the rad?

sorry to ask so much questions, but i have no money and need to sort my car out.

Thermostat housing is probably not located where the rad meets the top hose but further back near the engine. If you follow the hose back from the rad you may see it. If your thermostat is not opening as it should and your fan switch is in the radiator then your fan probably won't come on even though the engine is overheating.

Even though you say the water pump is good it may not be functioning 100%. The impeller may be damaged - some VWs have plastic impellers which can break up. If the heater in the car stays cold/lukewarm even though the engine is overheating that might indicate a bad water pump or indicate something else which is restricting coolant flow. Also how have you determined that the engine is overheating, sometimes temp gauges can give false readings and make the driver think the engine is oveheating when its not.

• Advertisement

the heater in the car is very warm, they car overheated yesterday, and there was steam coming out of the bonnet, out the reserve tank, i been driving with the heater on to cool the engine down when it starts to creap up for the time been, the fan hasn't been switching on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Firstly, stop driving the car if you know its over heating!

If the heater is working, it means the system is probably not air locked and the water pump is working ok....

The first thing to try would be to change the thermostat, and see if it makes a difference...

Overheated engine with hot heater and cold radiator and no fan coming on - it does sound like a thermostat problem alright. Or maybe a blocked rad. A new thermostat will be cheap to buy an install so i'd start with it.

i need to drive the car tomorrow to were im going to get the tools out and try fix it but its only 3miles away, thanks for the help i will keep you updated, im going to fix it on Sunday hopefully.

just glad i can rule out the water pump for now, as its on the cam belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

p0u1 wrote: »
    i need to drive the car tomorrow to were im going to get the tools out and try fix it but its only 3miles away, thanks for the help i will keep you updated, im going to fix it on Sunday hopefully.

just glad i can rule out the water pump for now, as its on the cam belt.

Well keep the heater cranked up full... yea replace the therostat and bleed the system... let us know how you get on...

• Advertisement

you guys were spot on, the thrmostat housing was broke, so the thrmostat couldnt push on anything to open so changed the thermo and the housing and now im sorted, thanks!!

Nice one, thanks for the update.

Advertisement