Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

so long yeast/sugar

• 06-11-2008 8:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭

ok so doc says i have to go on a candida diet, basically there is yeast/fungii or some sort in my belly, bloating me up all the time...

so no....

sugars / fizzies / chocolate / white bread / dried fruits / sweets / BEER:(:(:( / sauces(ketchup, vinegar) / mouldy cheeses / bananas, melons, grapes / peanuts / fruit juices /

and in moderation i can have....

aftificial sweetners / smoked meat / fresh fruit (apples, pears, oranges) / pasta, potatoes

i can FREELY eat...

Vegetables:rolleyes: / chicken,turkey -free range / eggs - free range / pork, lamb, beef / most fish - of which im not a fan:( / dairy products / wholegrains /

so i was just wondering if anyone has been in the same boat before and also some ideas on what to eat for meals now??

during college i usually get a roll with ham and cheese on it but now what am i gonna do??

also, what is the difference between free range and not in relation to my diet??

and possibly the main question is that i can drink beer for the next 3-4 weeks but they said vodka is ok but what could i mix it with seeing as sugar is out so no red bull!! also any other suggestions would be appreciated (and cutting out drinking for a month isnt an option because i have at least 2 things to go to)

thanks for any help....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Doolee

Wow...I have to say I'm jealous! I try to eat all the sort of stuff youve been told to eat my sweet tooth gets in the way!

Ive just had for my dinner my most favourite stew of lentils (Im vege but you could use red meat if you have to but beans of any kind are yum too)

Heres how...
    1. Fry off a chopped ONION and 1/2 GARLIC cloves in a little OLIVE OIL.
    2. Add chopped CELERY, CARROT (thought carrots are a sweet vege so you may have been told to cut them out...Im not a dietition but I think Sweet popato, peas, sweet corn and butternut squash are the same and as far as I know, mushrooms are a no no so if you cant use any of these use BROCCILI, CAULIFLOUR...basically whatever vege you can and fry for a minute or two.
    3. Normally I would add a Bouillin vege stock cube but think there may be yeast/wheat so check label. No matter if you cant. Add TAMARI SAUCE- a few glugs; which is a wheat free soy sauce from health shops and gives it a saltyish flavour and about half a teaspoon of CUMIN POWDER.
    4. Now add a TIN CHOPPED TOMATOES and the same amount of WATER and bring to boil then simmer until it reduces...maybe 15 mins.
    5. For nutrition and colour you could stir in some SPINICH and also PARSLEY and BASIL to taste at the end.

Make double the amount cause it tastes even better the next day, like a curry. You could add a fresh chopped chilli (without the seeds if you dont want it too hot) and fry off with onion and garlic too.

But basically, its going to be great for you. You will feel great, with lots of energy after a few days. You could bring that chilli for your lunch and eat it cold or hot from microwave and brown rice will be your new best friend.

Hummous is great too...and you could just bring some and put it on rice cakes or gluten/wheat free bread aka Spelt bread which is usually easier for people like yourself to manage, or better still i think Rye bread is also acceptable for delicate tummies.

Also you could roast your veges and put hummus on it and get some wholemeal couscous which is tricky to get and I find in a health store near the Bleeding Horse on Camden St.

With the free range thing...as far as I know places like KFC and takeaways use "battery hens" which means putting up to 17 hens in a frame about the size of your tv set...yes...17 of them so they cant actually move or walk so theres no muscle...but without me getting into it, its ALWAYS better to eat free range anyway as they probably feed the animals corn as apposed to the remains of dead animals or God knows what else which may have wheat/yeast/sugar etc and enhancers to make the eggs and animals taste and look like the consumer wants them to look. Free Range gives them a better life...as they can roam free on the range so to speak:)

I drink Gin/Vodka with sparkling water (thought theres nothing better than a pint and packet of crisps on a friday!) and put a squeeze of lemon or lime...actually squeeze it in but you could probably get a diet 7up or coke andd mix it a little with the soda water.

God I wrote a lot...sorry to confuse you. I could write forever on it, not that Im a food freek, Ive plenty of spare tyres! But I love food nutrition and reading and learning about all the good/bad things it does to you. I should listen to myself really! But remember I AM NOT A DIETITION OR NUTRITIONIST, this is just my understanding of things. IF you want me to babble on for another ten hours then PM me as Im rambling a bit here!

Best of luck and enjoy all the new foods!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Been there, done that. I had horrific thrush in my ducts when I was breastfeeding and had to do a really strict anti-candida diet to shift it. The £140 drugs don't work....

Do a few searches on low carb, or even ketogenic diet. From experience, the lower you can keep carbs, the quicker you'll get it under control. I'd even skip the fruit and pasta for the first week or two. Eat lots and lots of broccoli and caulilflower (you can boil and mash it instead of spuds or rice). Eggs, oily fish, fresh meat, fresh cheese (cottage cheese or pasteurised cheddar), olive oil.

Also supplement with acidopholis and raw natural yogurt.

The first week will be rough. You'll be eating stuff you are not used to, and the yeast will make you feel crap as they starve. Once you have it under control, you can slowly add back in wholegrains and fresh fruit and stuff like that. Just do it slowly so you don't have to go back to square one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

thanks for that boys and girls, im expecting to feel like crap for the next week of two:(

how long did you have to diet eileen??

plus i was looking at some ingredients and nearly EVERYTHING has a trace of sugar in it, is that ok???

the doc's sheet said i can eat brown rice but it had sugar trace on the back of the pack when i looked this morning???

The knife-like pains in my milk ducts cleared up in about 7-10 days, but I it took a good month to get rid of the yeast, and then I kept it up for about three months to be certain it wouldn't come back.

If possible try to avoid anything that comes in a packet, at least for the first week. Stick to fresh egg, fish, meat, vegetables, olive oil and natural yogurt. Try something like a big herb omlette for breakfast, fish (fresh or tinned salmon?) and a huge green salad for lunch, steak and lots of veg for dinner. Maybe cottage cheese if you get hungry between meals.

I made the mistake of thinking that rice-cakes were fine, because they didn't have sugar as an ingredient, but it was only later I found out they they have a really high gi, and break down to sugar in the body. Without the rice cakes, I reckon I'd have beaten it faster.

i see, thanks a lot for that, im off shopping now and i was going to stock up on rice cakes!!

do you know if beans are ok?? and what about blocks of chedder and milk?? im not too sure about them, some diets say yes some say no??

any more info much appreciated, its tough trying to adapt to all this!

hopefully it will be for the best!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Hi, my friend had this a couple of years ago and yeah it'll be tough until you get what you can and cannot eat sorted.
    I remembered she referred to this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hard-Stomach-Solutions-Digestive-Problems/dp/0717133699
    it may or may not be of any use to you, I'd say you'd pick it up in the library. Thought I'd share it, as it might inform you and it's an interesting read in any case.
    Best of luck.

king-stew wrote: »
    i see, thanks a lot for that, im off shopping now and i was going to stock up on rice cakes!!

do you know if beans are ok?? and what about blocks of chedder and milk?? im not too sure about them, some diets say yes some say no??

any more info much appreciated, its tough trying to adapt to all this!

hopefully it will be for the best!

Cheddar should be fine, milk has lactose, which is a kind of sugar. Look at nutrition panels and try to stick to things with very low carb levels. If they have lots of fibre, they're ok, but high carb (even it it doesn't say sugar) and low fibre is not good.

Beans like chickpeas should be fine, avoid baked beans.

a couple more questions!

almost everything has "sugar trace" in it, is this ok or is it still a big NO NO???

should i be avoiding potatoes??

what about milk?? with cereal?

i tried some porridge and shredded wheat but without sugar they are intolerable, is there anything i can do about this???

thats all i can think of at the mo!

thanks!

ps. i miss food:(

Eat eggs for breakfast. They taste better and have far less carbs. I know shredded wheat tastes like eating pot scrubbers, but they still have a high level of carbs, which your body can break down to sugar.

For the first couple of weeks, I'd avoid milk (lactose) and cereals (all have lots of digestible carbs). I'd also skip potatoes for the same reason. Once you've killed off a few million of the little bastards, you can start eating spuds and milk again.

Actually, it sounds gross, but a better option than milk would be diluted cream. Almost no lactose, and if you dilute it, it tastes very like the full fat milk.

When you are looking at labels, look at the amount of carbohydrate listed, not the amount of sugar. Then look at the amount of fibre. If the fibre figure is half the carb figure or higher, then you can eat it. If not, wait a while.

Remember, at this point, you are only resticting the things which sugar or which turn to sugar. You are NOT restricting fats, and you should be eating extra to get your calories in. So cook your eggs in butter, pour lots of olive oil on your salads, eat all the chicken, not just the breast. Eat lots and lots of vegetables.

I just made a lovely soup by boiling up chicken bones, then throwing in some leftover cauliflower and brussel sprouts and blending them. It's really thick and creamy and very very filling.

thanks again eileen, some good suggestions there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭violator13

I have this problem also. Its bascially systematic candida and causes lots of different health problems. The number one is fatigue!! Its caused usually from taking antibiotics which kill off the good bacteria allowing the yeast to get out of hand. After that it turns into a fungal form which burrows into the stomach causing leaky gut. A whole can of worms!!

The best thing I found was a product called Threelac. Google it and see what you think.. It helps me greatly.Its a probiotic but unlike most of the others this actually gets into the problem areas..Worth a try for sure..

If you need any more help just let me know.

P.s
    Dr John Mckennas book "Hard to stomach" easons is worth reading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

king-stew wrote: »
    BEER:(:(:(
    Beer is made with yeast, but with most beers it is filtered out. Becks Vier is a particularly clear beer, also erdinger kristal is filtered a lot, while normal erdinger is bottle conditioned and is brimming with yeast.

Most of the major breweries beer is filtered down, yeast is a visible solid, there might be trace amounts but a lot more in say bread, which is made with yeast but not filtered out.

You might find some sites which list some suitable beers. If beer is out then so is wine. But spirits are distilled so completely devoid of yeast.

You should really check with the doctor too, since it might not be the yeast in the beer, but the nutritional content of it, i.e. unfermented beer is an ideal breeding ground for yeast, many commercial beers will still have unfermented sugars in them so it could be for this reason (rather than left over yeast) that they are recommended against.

Dry wine and pilsner beers will have very low amounts of fermentable sugars left in them. Spirits are the safest though.

I am surprised wholegrains are on your OK list, wholegrains like brown rice and wheat/rye/barley are ideal for growing fungus on, while processed grains are not, but it could be that the wholegrains are less similar to sugar or lower GI. Maybe it is that the wholegrains are gone past your stomach before the yeast/fungus gets a chance to take hold.

That's interesting. My fave beers are wheat beers too-annoying. To be honest though I think the sugar content is a bigger issue for candida sufferers. Its a no win situation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

We crave the things we shouldn't take! I miss beer a lot. i was told red wine was okay though, tried Guinness but it made me swell up. Lots of Vitamin C and multivitamins to help your body. I find Threelac helps too. An organic natural liver tonic could be worthwhile too to clear out some of hte crap, it does contain aqueous (sp?) yeast though.

Rye bread is basically out too

yes the cravings are there alright. As for wine-no thats a defo no no.However I still drink it,as at least it doesnt bloat you as much as beer.
    I hear Paddys whiskey and diet coke is one of the better alco drinks..

Advertisement