Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New O2 Webtext

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

it's supposed to launch at the early hours of sunday. so you can expect it not working until tuesday. as usual with O2. probably the whole My O2 will be down again over the weekend. As usual...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭IH77

From the O2 site:

· Send 1,000 characters.
    · Sent webtexts are saved in “sent webtext” folder..
    · Send your webtext in any language to any country
    · Group and individual messages are used from your free 250 webtext allowance
    · Delivery status in your “Sent Webtext” folder.
    · Webtext uses our new Synch Address Book.

Does that mean 1000 characters in one text? If so I assume a text will come off your quota for every 160 characters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

IH77 wrote: »
    From the O2 site:

· Send 1,000 characters.
    Cabbage: Send unlimited characters
    · Sent webtexts are saved in “sent webtext” folder..
    Cabbage: Option to save texts and option to delete upon program closure
    This isn't a new feature, or is it:confused:
    This was always the case, no? Does it mean a message to a group of 10 people will only use 1 of your 250?
    · Delivery status in your “Sent Webtext” folder.
    Something I hope cabbage can introduce too :)
    Cabbage can do this pretty handy

Cabbage? Here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055165333

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭IH77

yep, use cabbage myself (it's great!!), but thought 1000 characters would get broken up into several texts. I wonder though if this 02 webtext feature will send it all as one text message, which means it probably will on cabbage too?

Another thought, will cabbage still work in it's current form given the changes on the 02 website?

I only copped on now that 1,000 characters means about 6 unbroken texts, I had it in my head it'd only be about 2 :o

Yeah, hopefully cabbage can integrate all the new features and I'm guessing if o2 is sending 1,000 as one message, cabbage would too as cabbage is only the gateway :) Suppose we'll know next week when it's live and when Sam has had a look at it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Straight Flush

The sending of messages in any language is potentially something new, assuming that the new Webtext can send accented characters like à and é, and other non-standard characters. This is something that the current version fails to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭Brianb8802

Theres a demo of the new webtext on the website now. On th emain page click on webtext demo.

Seems like they are adding alot of new features. Looks like a good interface, hopefully it will work:o

Birthday reminders FTW:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Send your webtext in any language to any country
    This isn't a new feature, or is it

This may be a new feature. Previously any class of accented character or Euro sign didn't come out, you could enter the character but only a ? appeared on the text. Perhaps now you'll be able to write Baile Átha Cliath, or Łódź or München. Maybe you can even write Москва́, or Санкт-Петербу́рг!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

i'm assuming messages 1000 char long refer to mms or long texts. This might cause issues sending them to international numbers i'd have thought based on current o2 network limits.
    IH77 wrote: »
    From the O2 site:

· Send 1,000 characters.
    · Sent webtexts are saved in sent webtext folder..
    · Delivery status in your Sent Webtext folder.

Does that mean 1000 characters in one text? If so I assume a text will come off your quota for every 160 characters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

regarding international txt's 1st they should work with all the operators and make sure they have agreements, sent some text to couple of people in Spain and they never get them. Have to use Blueface.ie webstext for those people.
    O2 said there's nothing they can do about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

never had a problem really with o2 webtext, use it every day too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Keith186

nava wrote: »
    regarding international txt's 1st they should work with all the operators and make sure they have agreements, sent some text to couple of people in Spain and they never get them. Have to use Blueface.ie webstext for those people.
    O2 said there's nothing they can do about it.

I sent (large 500 char) texts all around the world (from cabbage) and it works fine for me afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Keith186 wrote: »
    I sent (large 500 char) texts all around the world (from cabbage) and it works fine for me afaik.
    with cabbage the messages are broken up into 160 character chunks and sent separately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

cormie wrote: »

All the same features of JSMS also....

fbradyirl wrote: »
    All the same features of JSMS also....
    ah but cabbage tastes better ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    ah but cabbage tastes better ;)

Especially in Colcannon :)

This is up and running and there's some pretty nice features.

I sent a large text to somebody and put me in the recipient list aswell to see how it would be delivered. I only had 48 characters left so I used up the 7 texts. When I clicked send, I was presented with a popup to confirm sending (this doesn't pop up when you send less than or equal to 160 characters. And it said:

This Webtext will be sent to 2 recipient(s); each recipient(s) will receive 7 text message(s). This results in 14 text messages in total.

So 14 texts were taken from my 250, pity it's not just 2, but fair enough :)

When it said "will receive 7 text message(s)", it actually came all in one, which is cool :)

A nice feature is the recipient box, you just have to type a name and it'll pop up, so if I put in "ke" it will bring up any Kenny's or Kevin's. Tried sync my phone but it kept getting interrupted so I just uploaded a CSV file and wont be bothering with the synching in future. The CSV file upload is nice too as it lets you choose what fields are what and arrange your address book well.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭andy0

Well it looks like it might be nice when it's finished, but at the moment one wonders if it's been released before it's ready.

New pages on the website take 1 to 3 minutes to load, and several have errors; it took all day for the last 12 of my 24 contacts to be imported, and attempting to send a message either freezes the (IE7) browser completely or it took about 3 minutes to send one, and a pop-up confirmation box happened about 4 minutes after that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭chikuu

brother has awful hassle today with O2 webtext.

He sent a webtext to someone this morning...

Now it is sending that same text 5 times every half hour to everyone on the webtext addressbook. So damn annoying, O2 said it was some bug in the system changing over to the new system.

I am still getting them from my brother..

wait.... heres another 5 messages. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Goosie

It looks the biz ok but to me seems much more user unfriendly than the old system. Takes "slow" to a whole new level.

• Advertisement

chikuu wrote: »
    Now it is sending that same text 5 times every half hour to everyone on the webtext addressbook

That could be pretty bad if you were sending a private text to someone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭chikuu

That could be pretty bad if you were sending a private text to someone!

lol thats true, thank god it wasnt a dirty text to the gf or the mother would have seen it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

It was fine yesterday but this morning its extremely slow, took around 5 minutes to log in. Really wish there was an option for a classic version.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

SOOOO SLOOOW! O2 must have one of the slowest sites in Ireland, consistently.

Sort it out lads.

We are currently upgrading this service

As part of a continuous plan to improve our online service to you, we are currently upgrading our systems.

Quicklinks:

* My O2
    * Shop
    * Customer feedback forum

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭andy0

A nice feature is the recipient box, you just have to type a name and it'll pop up, so if I put in "ke" it will bring up any Kenny's or Kevin's.

The pop up does not work in all browsers e.g. Opera Mini just stayed with the p I entered. I'd prefer the old list to scroll

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Yes sometimes its nice to see a list of your contacts in front of you. If you are sending a text to multiple people and you want to choose the reciepents, its easier when you have a list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

Having problems with the ultra slow new webtext
    can anyone tell me..

-has bulk upload of contacts been removed?

-Can you select all of your contacts at once without them being in a group?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Seem to be having similar issues to others here and appreciate the postings. Nice to know I'm not alone.

Hate this 'new' version. Slow, clunky, too much hassle to use.
    O2 - you are F*ktards! :mad: What can ya expect from a Spanish
    company. No doubt someones spiked their new donkey powered SMS
    with horlicks !

Nice to know there are alternatives - thanks guys ! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,518 ✭✭✭swoofer

Went away for a week and came back to find 02 have revamped their website again and boy it is a dog of a one now, you get 250 free texts but the new systemone breaks down the messagas and does not even tell you how many will fit in an actual message. So for example a short meesage could in fact be broken down into 3. Getting the address of receipeint is a total pain etc.

And worst of all it is painfullly slow, a disgrace

gb--

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement