Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match Thread: Arsenal V Manchester United(Pre/During/After Match Discussion)

• 06-11-2008 9:29pm
    Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭

arselogo2zj2.jpgV 6ozg6tw.png
    Barclays Premier League
    Emirates Stadium
    Saturday 8th November 2008
    KO - 12:45 BST
    Sky Sports 1

Man Utd have an excellent chance of leaving North London with 3 points this weekend. Arsenal have not impressed in their last 3 outings and have a few injury worries. Also Van Persie is suspended for Arsenal. I reckon fergie will go with

VDS
    Neville
    Ferdinand
    Vidic
    Evra
    Ronaldo
    Carrick
    Anderson
    Park
    Rooney
    Berbatov

Would probably like to see Fletcher get a game as he usally plays well in big games, Carrick will probably get the nod ahead of him though.

I am going for 1-2 with Gallas for them and Rooney and Ronaldo for Man Utd

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Can't see past a United win tbh.

Comfortable at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

On paper Utd should win this match easily but don't underestimate us, I have a feeling we might sneak a win in a hot tempered match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Would take a draw, but jaysus Id like to see Wenger get the boot soon. They are stagnating like Spurs under Jol, too content with being nearly men. The talk before Spurs shows this gifted team clearly believe their own hype too much.

2-0 Man U. Might risk a few quid on her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

No chance Man Utd will win this one comfortably. If they took the lead they would probably sit back inviting pressure.

I reckon they will win by one goal though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Comfortable at that.

I'm not sure about that. Arsenal have been rubbish lately, and they are hit by injuries and suspensions, but I don't think they'll embarrass themselves.

I wouldn't bet on an Arsenal win, but I don't see United having it all their way either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

I think this game really depends on which United shows up.
    However I am fearing an Arsenal backlash.

I'll go for 3-2 United. Berbatov (2) and Carrick/Fibreglass and Clichy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Des wrote: »

Comfortable at that.

I agree... as much as I usually hate putting too much faith in United when they play Arsenal/ Chelsea or 'Pool away, I can't see them getting anything other than a win here.

Arsenal are on a terrible run of results, and missing Van Persie and Adebayor. On the other side of things we have a choice of Tevatov, Roonatov or Roonez up front :) and Ronaldo ain't playing bad lately either...

United 2-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Adebayor is out
    van Persie is out

who else

Adebayor is out
    van Persie is out

who else
    Rosicky
    Eduardo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i think bentdner is gonna lead arsenals attack as they have no fit strikers.
    cant really see them scoring unless its something special.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Jazzy wrote: »
    Yer man Vela looks alright. He'll probably get a run at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,447 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I reckon it will be a return to the 'dreaded' 451. With the team posted above.... I can't see Fergie leaving Fletcher out. These are the matches Fletcher is perfect for - to beat arsenal you have to hustle their midfield and restrict time/space. The is what Fletcher does.

I reckon Anderson, Fletcher and Carrick will also start. Anderson on the left of the 3. Rooney, Ronaldo and Berbatov will also start, with Rooney floating to the left for defensive duties, but playing more centrally when we have the ball, with Anderson moving to the left to offer width with Evra.

Hopefully Rio will have his head in the game this time out, has been below his usual high standards over the last few games.

As for the result of the game, on paper and form United should win it, but we always have a habbit of making things hard for ourselves and as I feel this is a must win game, I don't see us winning. I reckon it will be a score draw.

United over the last few games have shown defensive weakness and an inability to convert chances (much like Arsenal). Also, we have shown an inability to play for 90 minutes, Celtic was the first game in a while we had managed it and that is probably down to the fact we were losing up til the 83rd.

I don't see it being as easy a game as some are suggesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Jazzy wrote: »

If they are a bit stuck up front I reckon they should really risk that guy Vela... I dont rate Bendtner at all

EDIT: pighead beat me to it!

Rosicky
    Eduardo

of course

i was talking about

walcott
    Silvestre
    Bacary Sagna

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I expect the Arsenal team will be:

.............. Almunia
    .. Sagna Toure Djourou Clichy
    Walcott Denilson Fabregas Nasri
    ................ Diaby
    .............. Bendtner

Can't say I'm optimistic, too many players are horribly out of form or out altogether. Best hope is to win from a scrappy goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

I think this game really depends on which United shows up.
    However I am fearing an Arsenal backlash.

I'll go for 3-2 United. Berbatov (2) and Carrick/Fibreglass and Clichy

I'd like to think it will be manchester, but who knows.

This will be close. Form means nothing in these games. I'd take a 1 goal win. That said, we're due a W at the Emirates!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I expect the Arsenal team will be:

.............. Almunia
    .. Sagna Toure Djourou Clichy
    Walcott Denilson Fabregas Nasri
    ................ Diaby
    .............. Bendtner

Is Walcott and Sagna fit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Can't see Fergie going anything but 4-4-2 in this game. Arsenal are struggling at the moment and we have to play on that with a quick start and try pin them back a bit. If we go 4-5-1 I think that would lend it self to Arsenal and could let them get into the game, and they are still a very dangerous team, more so if we let them feel there way into the game and get confidence. If it doesn't work out, and we need 5 in midfield then Rooney can be pushed wide.

Better to take an adaptable formation in tomorrow and see how Arsenal line up. Do they have the resources to go with two up top with Ade and Van Persie out? My guess it will be Bendtner on his own and maybe Nasri playing off him.

Utd team for me would be

VDS
    ???---Rio---Vidic---Evra
    ---Fletcher-Carrick---
    --Ronaldo
    Park--
    Rooney

Berb

??? because i don't know our right back situation i.e is Brown or Neville available. If not I can see O'Shea playing there, ahead of Da Silva. To big a game for him at this stage and he would get exposed defensively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

If we go 4-5-1 I think that would lend it self to Arsenal and could let them get into the game,

Have United gone a traditional 4-5-1 yet this year? I can't remember. :(

If I were in charge Id go with:

VDS
    ????--Rio----Vida----Paddy
    --Carrick--Anderson--Fletch
    --Ronaldo
    Rooney

Berb

though I would be tempted to go with Tevez over Berbatov from a harrassment point of view.

Utd team for me would be

VDS
    ???---Rio---Vidic---Evra
    ---Fletcher-Carrick---
    --Ronaldo
    Park--
    Rooney

Berb

not too sure about Fletcher

rather see Anderson

and Anderson will be starting against Arsenal anyway

If I were in charge Id go with:

VDS
    ????--Rio----Vida----Paddy
    --Carrick--Anderson--Fletch
    --Ronaldo
    Rooney

Berb

though I would be tempted to go with Tevez over Berbatov from a harrassment point of view.

I dont want to see Rooney out on the wing at the start of the game. And you can say that formation is whatever you what Rooney would end up stuck out left. We should not be scared of Arsenal for this game.

Also Tevez was shocking on Wednesday, Berbatov and Rooney have to start this game up top and let them have a go at a dodgy Arsenal centre half pair.
    not too sure about Fletcher

rather see Anderson

and Anderson will be starting against Arsenal anyway

Don't know why you would say this. Fletcher has outperformed Anderson this year and Carrick is out best centre mid, after Scholes. I think the reason they both played against Celtic was to give them some game together before the Arsenal match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Christ I love this fixture, it has probably taken over the game I look forward to most from Liverpool v United at Andfield. The Arsenal injury situation is certainly going to impact the game, even so it will be close and United will do well to come away with a win.

Brown is out, Fletcher is a doubt, Neville available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

As far as the united team is considered , Think the team nearly pick's itself with only 2 places where I am not sure , Does Fergie keep his blinding faith in Giggs as a midfielder .God I HOPE NOT.(he'll score the winner now;) ) and Nani or Park

For me

.....................VDS..........................

Neville........Rio...........Vidic........Evra

Ronaldo....Carrick....Anderson......Park

.................Rooney......................
    ..............Berbs

Would not be upset or worried to see Fletcher get a starting role along side Carrick or Anderson. Neville will start IMO . Think Brown ruled out.(slight injury)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    As far as the united team is considered , Think the team nearly pick's itself with only 2 places where I am not sure , Does Fergie keep his blinding faith in Giggs as a midfielder

Thought Giggs was man of the match against Everton TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Boggles wrote: »
    Thought Giggs was man of the match against Everton TBH.

Yes , but s**t against Celtic (goal noted)
    Just don't think he can perform week in week out anymore , And against Arsenal don't think he has the legs to live with the pace I expect the game to be played at.
    Yes a rested Giggs can be a weapon still , In Europe for me.

• Advertisement

I dont want to see Rooney out on the wing at the start of the game. And you can say that formation is whatever you what Rooney would end up stuck out left. We should not be scared of Arsenal for this game.

You see we won a double, scored a hoop of goals and conceded feck all last year playing that modified 4-3-3 and yet we haven't used it much this season........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

4-5-1 neil, come on ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Thought this was kinda cool.

Nike had a competition for people to design boots on the Nike website that certain players would wear in tomorrows match. The ones chosen are here.

As you can see, Tevez was wearing his in training today ;)

Mr Alan wrote: »
    4-5-1 neil, come on ;)

"modified".

I dont care if its 6-4-0 cos the amount we scored/conceded and won with it last year as well as playing some unbelievably fancy stuff means it feckin worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

As an Arsenal fan I can say I'm fairly worried about tomorrows match. I'd take a draw with the way we have been playing and with the injury situation. I'd like to see him play Djourou but I reckon Silvestre will get the nod for:

Almunia
    Sagna--Toure---Silvestre---Clichy
    Walcott---Fab----Denilson/Song*----Nasri--
    Diaby

Bendtner

*I reckon wnger will go with Denilson, But he might give Song the nod in order to protect the defense a little more and Give Fab more room to roam about.

Diaby should start behind Bendtner, although I reckon Vela will come on early in the second half.
    If walcoot's not fit wouldnt be suprised to see Ramsey on the right. Or Nasri on the right, Diaby on the left with Vela up front beside Bendtner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Bendtner is as about as much use as tits on a mackeral, bloody awful.

Utd's defence is tear him apart tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

VDS

----Neville--Rio--Vidic--Evra----

-Park-Fletch-Anderson-Ronaldo-

Berbatov--Rooney

(Rooney and Berbs taking turns to drop deep)
    (Park on the right to help protect Neville)

Thats the team I'd love to see but I have a feeling Park will make way for Carrick/Giggs with Rooney dropping to the wing:rolleyes:
    I really hope that doesn't happen.

If we go for it this could be a great game and we have a good chance of getting 3 points. Arsenal are still very dangerous but they're having trouble at Centre back and Centre Forward at the mo' ....c'mon Fergie go at them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

3-0 to United. Can't see United not scoring more than one with Arsenal's defence, can't see Arsenal scoring any with nobody in attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Might sound weird, but it makes me a bit nervous that United seem to be such strong favourites. Lots of people said Chelsea were going to steam-roll United earlier in the season, and it turned out to be a really tight affair. I can see this being the same, settled by a single goal maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

While United clearly have the advantage with the **** form and injuries for arsenal, think it will be a scrappy affair with the midfield packed and not too much in it.

Really annoyed that RvP got himself suspended, he's started picking up form the last few games(particularly the spurs game). Which can't be said for the likes of Cesc, though he does usually turns it on for the big games so fingers crossed. If Neville is playing and Walcott is fit then maybe playing him on the left wouldn't be a bad idea. Bendtner was muck the last game but I do think he is a very good player(certainly not as bad as some people label him) and hopefully he can pull a big game out of the bag. Vela might be able to add a spark later on in the game too, unless of course he starts.

That said still very nervous about this one and fully expect Arsenal to ruin my b day in spectacular fashion(i.e 3-0 up at half time followed by second half collapse where almunia gets himself sent off after 3 subs have been made and Kolo ends up in goal making a spectacular save only for Silvestre to score an equally spectacular own goal to lose the game in injury time:pac:)

As a gunner...

... I might wake up late tomorrow intentionally. I think we might get steam-rolled.

• Advertisement

Form is a funny thing lads.

Form is a funny thing lads.

You are only saying that just in case United lose.

But you know in your heart that they won't. They will easily overcome Arsenal tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

The big games can be a bit funny, Arsenal are on a bad run at the moment and Utd are picking up form but both sides will be up for it and the best thing about football is that...anything can happen. As a Utd fan I hope we hammer them but I've a feeling it won't be as easy as it's being made out to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

But you know in your heart that they won't. They will easily overcome Arsenal tomorrow.

Don't think it will be easy to be honest. Different game this, form out the window.

I'm hoping we will win but our defense hasn't being too good from set pieces lately. I'd go for a draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,447 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I felt like that before United took on a liverpool side without Torres or Gerrard. Didn't work out too well.

United should be able to win tomorrow, but our record at the Emerites is not good, and United's recent performances have been far from convincing.

negative. I'm saying that because that's what i reminded all the Chawsea fans of before we went to the Birdge. Everyone, United fans included thought Chelsea were easily good for a 3 or 4 nil.

When the big 4 play it's always gonna be tight. l'Arse are at home too making it that bit more difficult. It's also a ground we've never won at. Plus arsenal are like a wonded animal right now, never a good time to play a team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

It's also a ground we've never won at.

In fairness, how many times have we played there? Twice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

They should really - only Fletcher and Brown doubts. Hargreaves and Scholes out obviously. I hope Tevez & Anderson start but I doubt the Lion will.

I expect:

VDS, Rio, Vidic, Evra, Neville, Anderson, Giggs, Park, Ronaldo, Berbatov, Rooney

In other news, Maradona gave Rio a signed shirt for his 30th today at training today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I would expect United to win 2-1 or 3-1. Arsenal's defense is a bit shambolic at the moment plus missing some key players. i's say Nasri is Arsenal's best chance for a goalscorer tomorrow.

id say Arsenal will be really up for it

really tight match

1-0 to united berba to score

its going to be very interesting when utd have some corners
    vidic,Ronaldo,berba and Rio

all capable of a goal during the corners

• Advertisement
Advertisement