Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fear of Flying Courses

• 06-11-2008 10:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

Was thinking of taking a Fear of Flying course as I want to go to New York next year but the thought of flying there is freaking me out! Has anyone ever done any of these courses and do they help??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

I've never done one but I was terrified of flying for years and I mean paralysed with fear. I didn't get on a plane for about 2 or 3 years, you'll see the extent of it if you go back and read some of my old threads. However, and I know I rant about this a lot but, Allen Carr's "Easy way to enjoy flying" book really helped me. I have flown to 3 countries since reading it and my experiences have been so much better. I can't recommend it enough.

Anyway, here is a link to a site that provide the type of course you're looking for. Hope it helps. Best of luck. It's a fear that's well worth getting over and it can certainly be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 loyko_irl

In the past few years i have acquired a fear of flying even though in the past I loved to fly and even wanted to be a pilot. I used to love a bit of turbulence, it was quite exciting, but then something changed in me and I became very scared. Problem is that I live and work in Germany and work for an Irish company which requires much flying. I just have to deal with it and get the sweaty palms and the rigermortise body!

Recently I came across a simple therapy called EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique). As EFT claims that all illnesses and phoebias are 80% emotial and either connected to a negative event in your life, a bad feeling about something, the phoebia or illness can be greatly reduced when your mind is allowed to detach itself from the 'emotional' part.

The therepy requires you to 'tap' certain areas on your body, much like accupuncture points that have a connection to the part of the brain which deals with emotion and fear.

Recently I tried this as I was sitting on the runway ready to take off, sweating in my seat and... low and behold... it worked. Now I would normally be sceptical about all forms of alternative therapy, but I can't deny that it worked marvelously, in fact, I enjoyed the flight, something I haven't been able to say for years.

Since then I've used it on 3 more flights and its worked for each one. So I would advise anyone with a fear of flying to do a simple websearch on EFT and learn how to free themselves of a very restrictive phoebia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Has anybody here tried hypnotherapy for a fear of flying?

I've done the "get drunk before getting the the plane" - did not work and if anything made me more uptight.

I've also taken prescribed xanax, which did work kind of, when I was on the plane, but did nothing for the pure fear felt when thinking about the flight in the weeks coming up to it.

I need something that will get rid of my fear even when thinking about it, not just while I'm in the airport or in the plane if you know what I mean.

I'm terrified I will end up spending my honeymoon in Ireland!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I have a fear of them in that I'm afraid it won't work and I won't find out till I'm sitting on a plane. Flew for the first time in three years this September with the help of Xanax, worked perfectly, even managed to fall asleep on the flight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

im already on the highest dose of xanax for general anxiety so dont think taking them for a flight would help me :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Has anybody here tried hypnotherapy for a fear of flying?

I've done the "get drunk before getting the the plane" - did not work and if anything made me more uptight.

I've also taken prescribed xanax, which did work kind of, when I was on the plane, but did nothing for the pure fear felt when thinking about the flight in the weeks coming up to it.

I need something that will get rid of my fear even when thinking about it, not just while I'm in the airport or in the plane if you know what I mean.

I'm terrified I will end up spending my honeymoon in Ireland!

try the allen carr book. I'd imagine it will at the very least wipe out the pre flight fear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Flyfearless, I have removed your posts because the charter clearly states that you cannot advertise here. I will put your link in the Helpful Links thread. If you wish to advertise then there is an adverts section within this website.

Advertisement