Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Borrowing from friend, Good Idea?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

You paid to see Spurs?

BR management needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭cardshark202

newbie2 wrote:
    The leaving Cert is one of the most important exams you will ever do in your life.

no it isn't. well maybe it is but only because you won't take many exams in your lifetime most likely.

The leaving cert is not that important though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭HoLLLLLaments

Never heard of anyone getting staked by people they meet online
    me neither

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

no it isn't. well maybe it is but only because you won't take many exams in your lifetime most likely.

Been to college?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

good for you, bad for him

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

How did you withdraw your money if you are only starting LC now so presumably under 18 when you regged at least? Also, do part time workers get redundancy?

If you do take his money, make some from online poker to go out now and then at the weekends, will your parents not ask how you can afford this and try to stop you playing poker for 3.5 hrs a day?

Far from my LC days I tells ya. I don't recommend no study until a week before the LC though, although the cramming did get me through college as well somehow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 SkintEastwood

i found myself in a similar situation where i was pretty succesful initally online while i was also working and making cash that way. went off and travelled for a few months with my savings with every intention of playing online poker to support myself upon my return. things didnt work out as i expected and i found it difficult to play due to the pressure of needing to win to support myself. probably different for other people but i know i struggled, since then im bak working and back winning although nothing close to what i did originally.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

LC is least important exam I ever did. Dont borrow money from friends who will get upset if you dont pay them back quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

bohsman wrote: »
    LC is least important exam I ever did. Dont borrow money from friends who will get upset if you dont pay them back quickly.

I'm pretty sure it's the most important to be honest, once you get into whatever course you want you probably have to make an effort to fail. What exams are more important than it? Not that I'm against convincing a kid that's it unimportant and he should grind every night on borrowed money in a bad staking agreement just to mess up his life for a laugh :)

For some reason one of my enduring memories of the leaving cert was laughing my head off learning the inner workings of a washing machine the night before my home economics exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Not going to college/getting a 9to5 probably lowered the importance of the LC for me. Nobody has ever asked me if I have it and if I wanted to go to college now the amount of points got would be relatively unimportant, just having passed is more than enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

Not going to college/getting a 9to5 probably lowered the importance of the LC for me. Nobody has ever asked me if I have it and if I wanted to go to college now the amount of points got would be relatively unimportant, just having passed is more than enough.

Yup true enough. I actually had to show it somewhere this time last year, I was getting my green card and had to show I had the equivalent of a US high school diploma. I was going to bring a drawing I did in high babies of a cow but I thought they might not appreciate the joke.
    "Sir step away from the country", "Awww".

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Hosef

YULETIRED wrote: »
    seriously never borrow to gamble, no matter what the tip. and only ever play with what you can afford .....

Wise, wise words!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭dK1NG

Ya, the fooking bare essentials. I get about 3euro a day and have no dosh for going out with my friends at the weekend. School is v.important to me but I figure that I get off at 4 and go to study till 6, Then play 3.5hrs of poker till 9.30 and then study till 11

Sounds good in theory, but in reality your brain would be fried after a short time.

I'm in a similar boat time wise, coming to the end of my phd so dont have time to play poker during the week. So, I only play a few hours at the wkend. There are far more important things in life than playing poker (:eek:) especially at your age!

As has already been said, do the LC, go to college or whatever, then you will find loads of time to play poker and watch day time tv to boot....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

I figure that I get off at 4 and go to study till 6, Then play 3.5hrs of poker till 9.30 and then study till 11

This would leave you little time for women - so it can't be good ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thedini

like a lot of the other posters said ignore the poker or else just play the odd time for entertainment. with regards to the leaving cert its november for goodness sake you should be going out with ur mates pulling women getting up to devilment etc , you are only young once. if this means getting a parttime job 1/2 nights a week do it and have fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

OP take a look at his video on youtube, and see if you still want to choose his advice.
    LC is least important exam I ever did..

Name one more important? There's no way you wouldn;t have more opportunities if you had a 600pt leaving cert. You would have the pick of any career you practically wanted.

If you want to make a career for yourself, by far the easiest way to do it is to have a good leaving behind you and go to a recognised University.
    People who tell you otherwise, generally aren't the people who did it and regret it, more so people who didn't and feel they didn't need it. Only a tiny minority of people will be successful without it, but they will have worked infinitely harder outside school and applied themselves in a different way, but these people are few and far between.
    Have you EVER heard anyone say "I got 500 points in the leaving and got my first choice course, but I wish I went out more and didn't study as much". I certainly haven't.

It really all depends on what you want to be doing for the rest of your life, if you want to be a Doctor, forget poker and stick to the books, if you want to be a pro poker player, I suggest reading a bit more for that as you obv don't know whats in store.

If you want to make a career for yourself, by far the easiest way to do it is to have a good leaving behind you and go to a recognised University.
    i totally agree with this just don't think its necessary to start studying like mad in November. just because its LC year doesn't mean you have to become a hermit.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Tight Ted

Don't bother with college or any of that malarky. If you're as good as you say you are, start playing online, and you'll have $100k months before you know it.

Tight Ted wrote: »
    Don't bother with college or any of that malarky. If you're as good as you say you are, start playing online, and you'll have $100k months before you know it.
    did you follow your own great and inspirational advice Ted

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Tight Ted

thedini wrote: »
    did you follow your own great and inspirational advice Ted

23130234mg8.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Flipz4Rollz

OP take a look at his video on youtube, and see if you still want to choose his advice.

Name one more important? There's no way you wouldn;t have more opportunities if you had a 600pt leaving cert. You would have the pick of any career you practically wanted.

People who tell you otherwise, generally aren't the people who did it and regret it, more so people who didn't and feel they didn't need it. Only a tiny minority of people will be successful without it, but they will have worked infinitely harder outside school and applied themselves in a different way, but these people are few and far between.
    Have you EVER heard anyone say "I got 500 points in the leaving and got my first choice course, but I wish I went out more and didn't study as much". I certainly haven't.

It really all depends on what you want to be doing for the rest of your life, if you want to be a Doctor, forget poker and stick to the books, if you want to be a pro poker player, I suggest reading a bit more for that as you obv don't know whats in store.

Poker is just a hobby for me and Im not claiming im brilliant but I can beat 50nl regularly and read alot of 2plus2 and know the variance and stress that comes with poker. I am not obsessed with poker or anything I just go through these phases for a couple of months(Tennis,snooker,golf) and then tend to get sick of them

We have an agreement that this is v.short term(say 3-5 weeks).
    I the people who are relying think I will be playing ALL though the leaving cert which is not true

BTW ty for the advice

Tight Ted wrote: »
    23130234mg8.jpg
    nice graph ted keep up the good work:rolleyes:

5starpool wrote: »
    How did you withdraw your money if you are only starting LC now so presumably under 18 when you regged at least? Also, do part time workers get redundancy?

I was 18 in the summer and used neteller to get it to FT from ipoker

If you do take his money, make some from online poker to go out now and then at the weekends, will your parents not ask how you can afford this and try to stop you playing poker for 3.5 hrs a day?

They tend to never ask where I get my money for some reason. I never told them about the 3k and they didnt notice(which now that I think of it is kinda weird)

Far from my LC days I tells ya. I don't recommend no study until a week before the LC though, although the cramming did get me through college as well somehow.

b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 carpetcleaning

I personally would never borrow from a friend no matter how stuck I was. You have to think whats more important, friendship or the chance of winning!!! Even though you might not think so, your friend will probably resent you if you lose all that money. And you know the risks of poker!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭tipp86

5starpool wrote: »

Sure do im a part time worker in college as well and i received a small 5 figure sum lately.

As to the op point nope i dont think he should take the stake. In my 3 years or so playing the only loan i took was for a few hours off good friends until i went to a bank machine.

I would never consider gambling with someone else money. I have seen people get loans and have given loans in my time to people who were seen as so called respectable. They then went on to lose there reputation by racking up debts and disappearing.

Im sure when stakes appear in the staking forum people will look favourably on your case. Stick to these stakes and freerolls and im sure you will get money around christmas so why not deposit a few pounds of that in and try build it up.

tipp86 wrote: »
    Sure do im a part time worker in college as well and i received a small 5 figure sum lately.

As to the op point nope i dont think he should take the stake. In my 3 years or so playing the only loan i took was for a few hours off good friends until i went to a bank machine.

I would never consider gambling with someone else money. I have seen people get loans and have given loans in my time to people who were seen as so called respectable. They then went on to lose there reputation by racking up debts and disappearing.

Im sure when stakes appear in the staking forum people will look favourably on your case.Stick to these st akes and freerolls and im sure you will get money around christmas so why not deposit a few pounds of that in and try build it up.

TBH I couldnt face grinding freerolls. So time-consuming and boring that would take months to build

• Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

Poker is just a hobby for me ........ I just go through these phases for a couple of months(Tennis,snooker,golf) and then tend to get sick of them

Well I certainly would'nt be risking my leavign cert on them. There is no way you could go back to study properly after a session where you were 1/2 outered twice for the biggest pot you ever played in etc, it would be on your mind.
    Yes you should be doing some work towards your LC in Nov, you'll be off for 3 week in about 4 weeks time, then you'll have about a month til your mocks so it's not all that far away. That said, I just mean doing what your supposed to H/w etc, bot sitting learning essasys and all that study malarky until later.

As someone else said, you'll have all the time you need in College.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭cardshark202

Level? You have to first go to university and pick up first class honours in a meaningful course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

LC is way overrated and i never relied on my LC results through my career imo...if you are good enough in your chosen field of work then that's what counts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

LC opens doors so to speak but you can always repeat your leaving,
    however if say you fail your final year in college - you can only ever get a pass degree hence its way more important, imo

nowadays money speaks more - you can do crap in the leaving and pay to go to the private colleges....

Advertisement