Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Borrowing from friend, Good Idea?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

The recession / burst property bubble might change everyone's assumptions here, as to what educational and career path is best. Suffice to say that even if you are confident of making it in the world without a good LC, getting one is fairly good insurance just in case you're wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Flipz4Rollz

I politely declined when he asked today.
    Gonna have to make do with auld reliable 3euro a day until summer.
    Its gonna be a long 6 months.........

Thanks for all the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

Level? You have to first go to university and pick up first class honours in a meaningful course.
    How do you get to a meaningful course without a good leaving cert? ldo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

wait til you're 23? tbf getting 4-500 which should get you into most meaningful course hardly requires that much effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

what til you're 23? tbf getting 4-500 which should get you into most meaningful course hadn't requires that much effort.

Ironing. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭jbravado

How do you get to a meaningful course without a good leaving cert? ldo.

Two of my good freinds were mongos in school-they paid to got to one of these jokeshop colleges which in turn made them eligible for masters. They both work abroad in stocks now-one in London one in Amsterdam. They are earning more than any of us who did decent leavings by a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ElectraBlue

I politely declined when he asked today.
    Gonna have to make do with auld reliable 3euro a day until summer.
    Its gonna be a long 6 months.........

Thanks for all the advice

Well done! :) It was a tough decison to make, but you did the right thing... only play with what you can afford to play with.

You have the rest of your life to play poker! Grind away, just don't let the tedium get to you, and limit your hours! ;)

LC is not something to take lightly, get your head down, hit the books and make the mammy proud. The main object of the LC is to gain enough points to go to college; no one gets a job out of the LC any more. College is a 'once-in-a-lifetime' experience you don't want to pass up! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

College is a good route if you're a lazy fuvker. I spent 7 years in DCU doing a PhD and now I dd absolutely **** all for my weeks wages. If you get to that level of education, people just assume you're great, and you can get away with doing SFA. The higher the level of eductation you get, the less you'll have to work for your monies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭bubbleking

zuutroy wrote: »
    College is a good route if you're a lazy fuvker. I spent 7 years in DCU doing a PhD and now I dd absolutely **** all for my weeks wages. If you get to that level of education, people just assume you're great, and you can get away with doing SFA. The higher the level of eductation you get, the less you'll have to work for your monies.

did you play in the weekly 10 euro freezeout? its where my poker career began

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

bubbleking wrote: »
    did you play in the weekly 10 euro freezeout? its where my poker career began

Nah I only discovered pokers about 1 year ago..not sure pokersoc existed in my day 97-04

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

bohsman wrote: »
    LC is least important exam I ever did.

Less important than the Junior Cert?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭dK1NG

zuutroy wrote: »

Please God.

Almost there, then I can relax for the rest of my life.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

H8GHOTI wrote: »

I wouldnt count that as an exam, its right up there with that online iq test I did at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

H8GHOTI wrote: »

Inter Cert surely...........whats the age profile here ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

oleras wrote: »
    Inter Cert surely...........whats the age profile here ? :)

You have to be about 32/33 to have done the Inter Cert I think. Which is the age at which you get laughed at on this forum by young fresh faced bucks like BCB :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

hotspur wrote: »
    You have to be about 32/33 to have done the Inter Cert I think. Which is the age at which you get laughed at on this forum by young fresh faced bucks like BCB :)

Up a few more, but not too many mind !!;)

edit to add...........i saw BCB doing his netwebcastthingie........fresh faced ? well, there was a lot of face......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭TommyGunne

Leaving Cert is important but its not the end of the world. I certainly wouldn't be busting my balls studying in November. Just do a little to keep up with the course. You do have to go out and have hobbies

It certainly isn't the most important exam you'll do. I've had plenty more important and I'm only in 3rd year.

Also, people that ever-exert themselves for the leaving cert tend to underperform in college. I've heard plenty anecdotal evidence from professors/lecturers that people who come from grind schools struggle a lot more than people who come from bad schools. Thats kinda obvious though. There are plenty of courses at the moment whose points required are ridiculously low compared to the level of intelligence needed to complete them well. If you struggle to get into one of these you're in trouble.

The LC is way overrated. You can get into pretty much any profession you like with any degree. It doesn't really matter what degree you do as long as you do well in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thedini

yea 1990 I think it was

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

If you did the inter cert you are old, junior cert not old.
    thedini wrote: »
    yea 1990 I think it was

1992 was the first year of the junior cert. I did it that year. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

what course are you aiming to get into after the leaving?
    after all if its CA then anyone can get into that with any sort study(just look at cooker)
    but if it is something that needs 500+ points then just forget about poker for 8 months,

all in all - don't borrow money to play poker(doesn't matter if you are friends - play poker with money you can afford to lose) - i think in 3 years playing poker i've lended money twice - once to someone i knew well(from poker) and got it back and another time to someone - never got that back.

O and dom - no matter what way you paint the pic - your still old :D

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Ace2007 wrote: »
    what course are you aiming to get into after the leaving?
    after all if its CA then anyone can get into that with any sort study(just look at cooker)
    but if it is something that needs 500+ points then just forget about poker for 8 months,

all in all - don't borrow money to play poker(doesn't matter if you are friends - play poker with money you can afford to lose) - i think in 3 years playing poker i've lended money twice - once to someone i knew well(from poker) and got it back and another time to someone - never got that back.

O and dom - no matter what were you paint the pic - your still old :D

Maybe age is the reason I can spell so it might come to you in time I guess. Whatever you say about typing fast and not rereading posts before you post doesn't apply when you use the 'word' lended in a sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭RoadSweeper

STI test is the toughest exam many people do.

STI test is the toughest exam many people do.
    HIV test IMO a friend of mine, a guard was stabbed with a needle.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CourierCollie

thedini wrote: »
    HIV test IMO a friend of mine, a guard was stabbed with a needle.
    HIV's an easy one. The one where they need to take a swab from inside the shaft of your penis, thats nasty.

HIV's an easy one. The one where they need to take a swab from inside the shaft of your penis, thats nasty.
    obviously the result

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CourierCollie

Thanks for removing the personal abuse. Agree on the waiting for results part quite nerve wracking sure enough.

Thanks for removing the personal abuse. Agree on the waiting for results part quite nerve wracking sure enough.
    whatever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

5starpool wrote: »

1992 was the first year of the junior cert. I did it that year. ;)[/QUOTE]

Ah memories, must be same age then Dom:p

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

5starpool wrote: »

1992 was the first year of the junior cert. I did it that year. ;)[/QUOTE]

Ah memories, must be same age then Dom:p

haha, same here. Was a right pain in the arse getting stung for exams during the 92 Euro Champs and again with the Leaving Cert in 94 and the World Cup

• Advertisement
Advertisement