Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xbox deals and recommended games for kids?

• 06-11-2008 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭

Just looking for some good deals on a 360 with a game or two for an 8 year old boy. Online play isnt an issue as I doubt he'd even care but he is mad into 2 player games of almost any kind (except sports), he loves car games like need for speed and his favourite cartoons are Ben10 & Spiderman.
    I would prefer to buy it in a bricks & mortar shop because its for a nephew & I dont want to put his parents through the bother of posting it off or whatever should anything go wrong. One more thing is just how reliable are they? Ive heard way to many stories of RROD and the like so Im kinda wary about getting one. Right now its about 50/50 between a 360 and a Wii, he seems to want a 360 more but Im kinda hung up on the reliability issue.
    Any help greatly appreciated, cheers in advance. ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭buckrodgers

My 5 year old plays the lego games on the xbox. Thats lego star wars and lego batman. Lego star wars is out awhile. It can be played by one or two players, I love it too! Lego batman is only new out and I havent had a chance to play it yet but he thinks its briliant! There is also lego indiana jones which he is yet to get. I think Smyths have a few good deals or tesco or game. Tesco often have deals like get half back on our clubcard points if you wanted to wait. as far as reliability goes we've had no problems yet and I think microsofts customer service is quite good, just be sure to keep the receipt. Saying that I would love a wii myself but I have never tried one so I dont know if they are any good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Yeah, the Lego games are great for kids. Easy to play, but very well put together. They're also two-player, if a parent or friend wants to join in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Completely agree with the lads as far as Lego games. Theres a bundle with the Indy one out now:

Xbox 360 Pro with LEGO Indiana Jones and Kung Fu Panda - EUR239.00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Theres a new Need for Speed out in November (NfS: Undercover) so ya should look into that.

Seconding (or thirding/fourthing/fifthing) the LEGO games, great for some co-op fun.

Spiderman: Web of Shadows just came out too, its meant to be ok. Single-player though. Or you could try get Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, its old but very Marvelly.

There are Ben10 games on Wii but not on the 360 as of yet.

I have had my 360 for 2 years now and no problems. The RROD was mainly due to overheating but the newer crop of 360's have better cooling and chip layout so better chance to not crap-out.

Last bit of advice, go for a Premium or Elite, the Hard-Drives are vital for a good playing experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

The lego games are brilliant for kids, I'd agree with everyone who recommended them.

Another game the kids seem to get is Viva Pinata / Viva Pinata:Trouble in Paradise.
    A last one, but it's only new is Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts. It's a fun game aimed at kids, too. Although if you don't have a new Telly (a flat-screen / LCD) it may be difficult to read a lot of the on-screen text, making the game hard to play.

Most shops will offer different bundles or games that you can pick up with the Xbox. If you keep your eye on places like Tesco, too. Last weekend they had an offer of 25% off and Console or any Game. And you still got Clubcard points for your purchase, too.

Newer Xboxes have definitely improved the reliability issue of the earlier one. The older ones weren't as bad as all that - I had mine for two years without any problems.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

The Crash games are good for kids on the Xbox.

http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/3427333/Crash-Of-The-Titans/Product.html

http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/5822328/Crash-Bandicoot-Mind-Over-Mutant/Product.html

You were asking about the reliability of the 360. The reliability has improved and the positive side to the RROD is that MS have gotten very good with replacing Xboxes. But if you're looking at choosing between 2 consoles for a kid I'd say the number one consideration for me would be what do his friends have? If they all have Wiis and you get him a Wii he can swap games and play with his mates (works out cheaper for you).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

Cheers lads, I must find out if he's into the lego games, I know one of my nephews is mad into the lego Star-Wars & Indiana Jones ones. The new NFS is looking like a winner so far, I know he'd love that,what other racing games are out?, I dont play them myself tbh.
    Im not so worried about the reliability now seeing as hoe some of you say the new ones are ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

The lego games are great for kids ( and adults a like). You should pick up the lego Star Wars 2 for little or nothing now. Or ht complete saga would be pretty cheap too. Project Gotham Racing 4 is a good racing game. Not too difficult and he should have fun flying around on the motor bikes in that. Who doesn't like pulling wheelies! :)

Advertisement