Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re: PSP or DS Lite

Options
  • 06-11-2008 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭

I want to get either a psp or a ds lite. Which one is better would ye reckon and why?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

If you have a PS3 ,get a PSP. If you don't ,get a ds lite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

Well tell us what kind of games you like and then we can give better advice :)

I have both and I love both, although since I hacked my PSP and can emulate loads of old games perfectly I'd be inclined to go with the PSP. The possibilities!

The DS is a different experience though. Although some games are quite gimmicky, every now and then a game like The World Ends With You comes along and shows you what the DS can do (For example in that game battles take place on both screens, with you controlling two characters at the same time, one with the touch screen, one with the direction pad.) All the Mario games on the DS are class. Add Elite Beat Agents and Phoenix Wright to the mix and there's a lot of fun to be had.

The PSP has a lot of games that are exactly like portable PS2 games, so it's up to you whether you'd be into that or not (See God of War: CoO, Crisis Core). Then there's games like Crush, LocoRoco and Patapon that really show you what the PSP should be all about.

With the DS, you go from turning it on to actually playing the game in about 30 seconds. With the PSP, it takes about a minute to load up a game from a disc. The PSP plays video files and music very well, which the DS can't do unless you hack it. The battery on the DS lasts about 10 hours, PSP about 5-6 hours.

You can add themes and wallpapers to the PSP, and download games from the Playstation Store (albeit from a limited selection.) You can't do this with the DS Lite, although the DSi (coming summer next year) will be able to download DS-Ware games.

If you have a PS3 you can use remote play so you can stream videos and PS1 games wirelessly from your PS3 to your PSP. If you have a Wii and like Pokemon you can use your DS to control stuff in Pokemon Battle Revolution.

Best advice would be, look at metacritic.com, view DS and PSP games by score order, and see what you fancy. At the end of the day, you're playing it for the games. A lot of the additional features of each handheld mightn't matter to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

PSP is better, but has poor game selection. As saidby GothPunk, great for homebrew/emulation. But if you're a fan of kiddy jap games then DS is probably better. Both are good handhelds, but the PSP has more power, much better screen and handles media well. Until you crack the damn screen like I did....... :(

Kernel wrote: »
    PSP is better, but has poor game selection.
    Well yeah, if you don't like Tekken, Metal Gear Solid, LocoRoco, PataPon, Final Fantasy Tactics, Jeanne D'Arc, Crush, Lumines, God of War, Crisis Core, WipeOut or Ratchet and Clank.

I thought the psp's are now unhackable. ?

• Advertisement

311 wrote: »
    I thought the psp's are now unhackable. ?
    So far yes the PSP 3000 series seem to be unhackable, but you can still get the 2000 series in most shops, for cheaper too!

I want to get a PSP myself ,but knowing that playtv won't work over here ,puts me off it.
    Also because I have a ds :)

A lot of "friends" from psn have playtv and use the psp to watch their recorded programs.

311 wrote: »
    I want to get a PSP myself ,but knowing that playtv won't work over here ,puts me off it.
    Also because I have a ds :)

A lot of "friends" from psn have playtv and use the psp to watch their recorded programs.

Yeah that's a feature that I'd actually use a lot. I wish RTE would get the finger out and move on with giving us freeview. We should be getting HD broadcasts, which PlayTV should support via a firmware update. So PlayTV will work here.... eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭schumacher

from the sounds of this thread i think iol get the ds lite! i dont like the brain games tho !! i used to have gameboy, gameboy colour and then advanced and I loved them so i want something like that. I like adventure games like mario/wario and crash bandicoot not really fighting games or really what would be considered mens games!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

I have both as I used to do industrial security. PSP is great for a console replacement, playing console style games (racing, shooting etc), but for sheer fun I found the DS unbeatable. Massive range of different games too. I found Picross particularly addictive...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭LeoGilly

Just had a read there. I have a psp 1000 pretty much gathering dust. Would like to give this homebrew a go. Anyone recommend a good site with tutorials?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,425 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you have updated recently you might have a hard time hacking the PSP without a pandoras battery. You're best bet is to use google to search for tutorials and find out about the pandoras battery (no idea how it works myself).

Use http://www.qj.net/ to get all your hacking programs, it can be nasty to navigate though.

Advertisement