Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock Werchter 2009 - All discussion, no ticket sales

Options
  • 06-11-2008 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭

I know its early, but hey, what can one do?

First changes have been made. New website(well, just different variation on last years one). Liking the orange theme myself:D If my original plans for next summer don't pull through, I'll be hitting a few festivals next summer, and no matter what the line up, would prob be a return here. For those who haven't been before...I'll describe it in one word...unbelievable. And that's down to the last blade of grass pretty much. Organisation is perfect, its so hassle free, and the whole free transport thing makes it a breeze to get to. Only drawback is it is prob one of the more expensive festivals on the continent, but in comparison to home...tis nice and cheap.

Oasis are looking highly likely to be one headliner, so any other speculation as to bands you'd like to see playing, headliners or not?

For me:
    Weezer
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Stone Gods
    Mars Volta
    Tool and/or Nine Inch Nails
    Jubilee

On from 2-5 July, all info on: www.rockwerchter.be

I'd say Mr. S would be annoyed seeing this, he is the main man here for all things RW:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Mr.S wrote: »
    Oasis are apparently confirmed by sources to headline Werchter:

http://www.festivalawards.com/latest/news/5340/-/EXCLUSIVE-Oasis-for-Isle-Of-Wight-Festival

Not sure how good the source is, but it would make sense to me. And that info was release a few weeks ago, before the Werchter dates where known, and they match up now so..

Its a bit early to guess who the other 3 headliners would be (and lets remember, Werchter usally has 2 Headliner type bands per day, when you compare it to other festivals), but i'd say Greenday and Coldplay would be a good bet.

;)

if anyone wants to read up on info about the fest, check out the past threads:

2008 - http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055192849
    2007 - http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055037246

Usally, prices are around 185€ for the 4 day combi ticket (gives you free train/bus travel aswell) and 15€ for the camping (thursday -> monday morning). Plane tickets are usally around 50/60€ , but you'll need to check in a bag (usualy) so that adds on 30€ with ryanair.

Re 1st bit in bold: If that does happen, I am so availing of that free transport to Brussels that evening.

2nd bit: I thought it worked out at like €187 incl. camping? Although that was 2007, but am fairly sure prices stayed the same last year.

Also, saw that bit bout Oasis before alright, it does make sense alright...not that I'd go see them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 edved

Hey guys, this is my first post so go easy on me! I've been to Werchter for the last 2 years and can safely say that it is the best festival i've ever been to. The organisation is absolutely fantastic and i have yet to see any "bother". Id strongly recommend that people give this festival a go, you wont be disappointed

edved wrote: »
    Hey guys, this is my first post so go easy on me! I've been to Werchter for the last 2 years and can safely say that it is the best festival i've ever been to. The organisation is absolutely fantastic and i have yet to see any "bother". Id strongly recommend that people give this festival a go, you wont be disappointed

For a first post to be like this, I think we should tear stripes off ya:P

Na, joking, welcome aboard! Yeah, it really is a great festival, prob the best around. The whole atmosphere makes it, even if the lineup isn't great(which it rarely is).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I look forward to seeing who else comes on the line up. Had a blast last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 edved

Mushy wrote: »
    For a first post to be like this, I think we should tear stripes off ya:P

Na, joking, welcome aboard! Yeah, it really is a great festival, prob the best around. The whole atmosphere makes it, even if the lineup isn't great(which it rarely is).

I wasn't overly impressed with the line up this year although there were a few "gems" to be found but was well impressed wioth the line up last year but to be honest, any festival that boasts Pearl Jam and Muse amongst it's headliners gets the vote from me!

• Advertisement

edved wrote: »
    I wasn't overly impressed with the line up this year although there were a few "gems" to be found but was well impressed wioth the line up last year but to be honest, any festival that boasts Pearl Jam and Muse amongst it's headliners gets the vote from me!

Was the same with me bout this year(08), so I went to Pinkpop instead. But when it was on, I looked at it again and was like 'S***, should have gone'. But it is amazing even away from the music, would def recommend it even if only two or three worthwhile bands were playing(its always more anyway). and 2007 lineup I don't think can be beaten for me anyway:D!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

i had a great time last year and will prob go again this year
    Excellent value for money and well organised
    I hope ACDC and QOTSA are playin

I'm so gettin my hands on a collapsable wheelbarrow for next year that walk back from the shop with a case of St martens Pils was though going:pac:

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    i had a great time last year and will prob go again this year
    Excellent value for money and well organised
    I hope ACDC and QOTSA are playin

I'm so gettin my hands on a collapsable wheelbarrow for next year that walk back from the shop with a case of St martens Pils was though going:pac:

Nah, QOTSA won't be in attendance. Its EoDM on the road for now, not much QOTSA-stuff planned for next while, may not be back in studio till 2010 with side-projects and all that.
    The 2007 lineup was perfect wasn't it? Good times!

Oh stop...re-read that 2007 thread a while back...was good alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

I also had a great time the past two year's at RW.

Highly recommended!

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

very good festival, but and I did post it in when I got back the crowd are lame as foook, if your going looking for a good oul Picnic buzz you'll be very very disappointed they just don't know how to party, in bed nice and early!! well thats my experience from the madness that was A3!! we were actually asked to keep in down at 2oc!!!

But in terms of the set up its pretty sweet and well run and they usually get the names over, just don't forget to bring your pillow and night cap and you'll fit right in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Yeh its pretty much a smaller more relaxed Roskilde. Id say its better suited to couples and people who are not fans of all night partying and wildness. Theres pretty much nothing to do when something on the 2 stages doesnt appeal to you, which will happen more often than you think. Food isnt great and the drink is limited. If you want a clean, well organised and cheap festival I recommend it but if its all night crazyness Roskilde beats it hands down and the lineups are usually the same (with much more happening in Roskilde).

Isnt Metallica like a constant rumour for every European festival? I thought it was a running joke at this point that they are always included in rumours.

Anyway I'm not a huge fan of the lineup but I can see how others would wet themselves at it. Apparently the Belgians are already upset at the thought of the larger louts from the UK that Oasis will draw.

However considering how weak Sterling is and how loved Kings of Leon, Coldplay and AC/DC are here I'm actually seeing this as an Irish dominated year. Would want to get your flights early methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭SteadyEddie

I have my flights booked already, because as soon as they announce the lineup and start releasing tickets the flights will rocket.

I have every confidence that like every year, the lineup will be fantastic!

FestivalNoise are saying the following:

Headliners:
    AC/DC
    Metallica
    Coldplay
    Oasis

Main Stage:
    Franz Ferdinand
    The Killers
    Kings Of Leon
    The Last Shadow Puppets

Marquee:
    Beirut
    Novastar

Personally, i can see the headliners being true, bar mabey Metallica, not to sure on KOL aswell, they played 08, and 07 aswell...And the Arctic Monkeys will probally be touring aswell, so i dout Alex turner will bother with doing a The Last Shadow Puppets tour..

If those headliners are accurate then I will be all over this festival

Mr S: Its 2.99 each way with Ryanair, before they charge all their crazy charges/fees etc!

Im actually flying Aer Lingus to Amsterdam a couple of days beforehand, then flying back with Ryanair on the monday.

It's going to be fantastic.

Was thinking of doing the same myself. How much is your flight to Amsterdam?

Flight to Amsterdam with Aer Lingus was about €65 all in for me.

Thats impressive. My flights to Glastonbury came to 115euro with Ryanair. I wouldnt mind so much except the actual flights were 2euro each. The rest was extras!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

Aye i think im going to go to Amesterdam before with a few mates then train it to Werchter from there, just need to sort out flights;)

Hey Mr.S that time of year to start bumping into you again :D

I did the dam after RW last year but if i do decide to return to the dam i will definitely go before! Won't be long now until we hear the starting lineup - can't wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 moephi

how about bloc party? new album, they've been to werchter twice in the last 3 or 4 years...i thinks it's quite realistic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I'm already excited about this years Werchter, as somebody pointed out earlier it could do with a bit more madness. The Belgians, although a nice bunch, really are a boring pack of feckers.

A word to the wise about flights though, i would advise against flying Ryanair, Charleroi airport is miles away from Brussels also the shuttle bus which brings you to and from brussels doesn't fall under the "free transport" your supposed to get with your RW ticket. I think the bus costs about 13 euro for a single fare for those of you who are on a budget. Myself and my mate had a bad experience trying to get to Charleroi on our way home, basically the shuttle bus stops for a good few hours at night(cant remember the exact times) so we were left stranded in brussels. It was poxy because were were absolutely wrecked and broke after the festival. We tried to have a kip in a pub but we were thrown out, its funny looking back but at the time i was close to tears haha, we ended up having a kip in the main train station in Brussels which was an experience in itself. We got Charleroi in the end and caught our flight but i vowed never to fly there again!

Anyway apart from that had a great time at RW 2008, the highlight for me was actually the night before in Brussels then Leuven basically an all day session where i met loads of cool people. Really got me well and truly buzzing for the madness that was to follow!

Are you sure that the train to Carleroi runs overnight though? If so i just made more hassle for myself that night, haha.

I missed out on the last day man, we left the festival that Sunday evening as our flight was at 7 on monday morning so thats what kinda f/ucked it up for us. I'm trying to recall why we didn't get a train to charleroi, i think my reasoning was that i didn't know if there'd be a bus or even taxi to bring us to the airport at that hour of the night/morning so we didn't really want to take the risk of being stranded in some weird little Belgian town lol. I think it was the fact that our flight was at 7 on the monday morning that kinda ballsed it up for us. Also Charleroi airport is pretty secluded and coupled with the fact that train/bus services stop for certain hours during the night, i'd advise anybody travelling there to plan it thoroughly, otherwise you'll end up like myself and my mate, two broke Irish clowns stranded in brussels having to walk through very shady parts of to get to the equally shady midi station for a sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ennisd

lookin at goin this summer and was wondering how difficult is it to get tickets?

Well last year was my only time to go and i had no problem getting tickets, think i got them a few weeks after they went on general sale, so there was no rush.

That's me sold. Coldplay, Metallica and Placebo. Fantastic.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

€169 for combi
    €17 for camping

excl. admin/postage fees, so thats about.. €190 for the 4 days/5 days camping:)

Roll on July :cool:

(Coldplay/Metallica are the headliners it turns out, so that leaves 2 tba, Oasis and AC/DC or Paul Weller me thinks)

edit: just had a look on Placebo's myspace, and it says they are headlining :confused: hopefully its just co-headlining, as i can't see how they could be a proper headliner, perhaps because the Lead singer was born in Belgium?!

Thats pretty good price . is it 4 days of music? and 5 days camping . I would be happy with either AC/DC , Oasis or Paul Weller

Please God let it be AC/DC

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ennisd

what site did you get them off and you wouldnt happen to know how many tickets you are limited to buying per person?

Hopefully Oasis are headlining, goin to see them in Slane aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Apparently the following is going to be announced in a few days:

Oasis as the opening headliner, and a "surprise" act as the Saturday headliner.

and for the main stage:

Franz Ferdinand / Kings Of Leon / Kanye West / Kaiser Chiefs / Lenny Kravitz / Snow Patrol / Bloc Party, Flogging Molly/The Prodigy.

Marque:

Novastar / Das Pop / Elbow / White Lies / The Hickey Underworld / Eagles Of Death Metal / Juliette Lewis / Amy MacDonald / Katy Perry / The Sedan Vault / MGMT / Lily Allen / The Blackbox Revelation / Emiliana Torrini / The Last Shadow Puppets / A Brand

--

Im not sure how credible that is, as The Last Shadow Puppets is Alex Turners side band, and i would have thought he'd be doing Arctic Monkeys this summer, unless they replace him..

Thats some nice line up if true. Its gonna be tough for me to choose between the festivals(if i can drag a few friends along)

Advertisement