Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock Werchter 2009 - All discussion, no ticket sales

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 FreeByrdBlues

Hi All!

I'm an aussie who's never been overseas and maybe incredibly random on my part but i'm keen to get to Rock Werchter this year! Reading past lineups has just blown me away

I have absolutely no clue how or what I need to do to get there, whether to go straight to Brussels or make my way from the UK, but any suggestions or info would be greatly appreciated :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Go straight to Amsterdam and a few days later get the train to Leuven :)

Seems to be what a lot of people do judging by the amount of people I met at the train station in Amsterdam :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 FreeByrdBlues

Cheers people! Praying for AC/DC now... Let There Be Rock :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

can anyone sum up what this festival is like, IE crowd and general buzz around the place and camp site. looks like the lineup will be similar to most of the other "big" european festivals

Ive been to Reading , Glastonbury, Benni , Roskilde and a few smaller around the europe and looking to see which of the aforementioned it resembles (if any) .

also is it prominently a rock/indie festival , does it have dance stages and other areas. Its always good to have somewhere else to go and sample the buzz when there is jack all on the stages.

Cheers

Eoin

eoinf wrote: »
    also is it prominently a rock/indie festival , does it have dance stages and other areas.

There is a Stella pub that turns into what I can only describe as a rave when there are no acts on the stages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

eoinf wrote: »
    Ive been to Reading , Glastonbury, Benni , Roskilde and a few smaller around the europe and looking to see which of the aforementioned it resembles (if any) .

I've already summed it up here. Its way way more sedate than all those festivals you mentioned. Thats not neccesarily a bad thing for some people but if you are looking for utter madness you'll be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Just booked my flights there, with ryanair. Heading wednesday evening coming back Monday evening. The flight itself was only 55 euro but with checking in my bag and all the other mysterious surcharges it turned out at 95 euro. Still not bad but its a killer paying all those poxy extra fees.

Anyway, the flights booked so that's one thing outta the way! Bring it on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

Thainking of heading to this....
    Anyone recommend hotels nearby?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭SteadyEddie

The campsites are fantastic, but if you really want to have a hotel, you could stay in Leuven, there are free buses that run between Leuven and the festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

Toast wrote: »
    I've already summed it up here. Its way way more sedate than all those festivals you mentioned. Thats not neccesarily a bad thing for some people but if you are looking for utter madness you'll be disappointed.

without sounding like a sap.. guess this aint for me then.

Guess its going to be the two here in ireland along with one or two others yet to be decided.

Im thinking Benni & possibly Bonnaroo in the US.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Mr.S wrote: »
    Mastodon confirmed via their homepage.

:eek::eek: You lucky lucky so and so's!

Mastodon confirmed via their homepage.

Here is hoping they aren't on at lunch time like Slayer were last year :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Here is hoping they aren't on at lunch time like Slayer were last year :mad:

They might be slightly higher up after they played that time in 2007. Nice wake-up call:D

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭SteadyEddie

Forums on rock werchter site saying that Franz Ferdinand are playing RW 09.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

My Tip (in reply to Toast)is to not go to Campsite A3 i think were all the irish tend to be, no offence. By chance we landed in B1 last year and we had a bar til 4am and a dj and a mix of people from all over the place. aint goin back though, somewhere new

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

there are bars lining the streets to all the b campsites too, it was the same at pukkelpop. plus the shop with beer is a 10 min walk from b. C was too far away for my liking. another thing is buy your chairs, unless youre the thieving kind, in brussels or somewhere. The belgians don't seem to like being enterprising by selling rubbish chairs at festivals. the reason im told by several was ecause 'we are not stupid, we bring our chairs'!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 moephi

Donderdag 2 juli 2009
    Main Stage: Oasis | Placebo | Dave Matthews Band

Vrijdag 3 juli 2009
    Main Stage: Coldplay | The Killers | Bloc Party | Elbow | Amy Macdonald
    Pyramid Marquee: The Streets

Zaterdag 4 juli 2009
    Main Stage: Kings of Leon | Franz Ferdinand | Limp Bizkit

Zondag 5 juli 2009
    Main Stage: Metallica | Mastodon

source: Graz.nl and a festivalradio

oasis and amy mcdonald are official, dunno what to think of the rest^^

it was posted on Studio Brussel first (sponsors of RW) so all thoes bands are confirmed basically.

Excellent additions anyway, Limp Bizkit will be a good laugh:)

So, headliners so far:

Thursday: Placebo/Oasis
    Friday: The Killers/Coldplay
    Saturday: Im assuming KOL are co-headling with 1 headliner left TBA
    Sunday: Metallica + 1 TBA.

yay, but be careful, studio brussels also confirmed ratm last year ;);)

Hopefully The Streets are on when there is something decent on the main stage. I would like to see Amy McDonald though.

well then, yayy!!^^

bloc party i told you ;)

• Advertisement

alright it's official on the dutch vesion of the festival homepage :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Quite like those new additions

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭lisabiscuit

Im loving the new additions f'n love Kings of Leon and have recently got the new Elbow album and its super!! The flights are booked. Roll on July!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Thoes interested in flights

~ Ryanair works out around 96€ return with 1 checked in bag (morning flight on the thursday, evening flight on the Monday)

~ Airlingus works out about about 150€ish with 1 checked in bag (morning flight on the thursday, evening flight on the Monday)

Ryanair airport is about 1h30 from the festival, with a change of train in Brussels.

Airlingus Airport is a 15min train ride to the festival direct from the Airport.

Cheers for that info. At the moment of all the festivals i am intrested in going to this is in the lead (since most havent announced anything new in weeks)

tickets on sale atm...

It says overseas customers, have to take e-tickets, and for e-tickets, it only gives you the option of camping in a3 or c3, while if you go to normal tickets, its just 1 camping ticket :confused:

I ordered physical tickets anyway, as it didn't stop me.

Thats a bit odd, the Belgians must want their own campsites now for fear they'll have a bit of fun with foreigners.

Think i'll be going the same route as you man, although does that mean a3 and c3 campsites will be exclusive to e-ticket holders? i would assume so.

Ah, i see, sure its only early anyway i'm sure it'll be sorted out in a week or so.

Have you booked your flight yet Mr. S?

Yeah, fly out on the Wednesday in the morning with Ryanair, then back on the Monday night, again with Ryanair, came to around 95€ incl taxes/bag/cc charges

Combi ticket/Camping + postage & charges came to 195€

Yeah myself and a few friends have ours booked more or less the same as yourself but heading out on the 5:00pm flight, got the early flight last year ended up just drinking in brussels all day then went to leuven that night and done some more drinking there but the tiredness started kicking in then from being on the go all day. So when the time came to get the bus to werchter the next morning i was in bits plus the fact that it was a horrible morning didn't help at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Am looking to go to this with a few friends too.

We don't have to order e-tickets do we? Either way, what campsites are best to go for?

[edit] Ah just looking at it now, seems we do have to get the e tickets. But will those 2 campsites not fill up fairly quick? Especially since they're encouraging the Belgians to avail of it too

concerning the camping ticket problem:

when i ordered my tickets there was another link underneath the shopping basket link where i was able to get normal camping tickets over Tele Ticket Service like every year.

2 minutes after this that link suddenly disappeared, dunno why, maybe it will come back next week.

you can still access these pages by removing index_gfm.html# of the URL. by doing this you're goin to see the server page, click gfmform_ca.html for camping and gfmform_co.html for combi tickets...

one of my freinds did it that way and he received a confirmation e-mail. but as i said, it's a bit odd that the link disappeared...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭deisedolly

Thoes interested in flights

Ryanair airport is about 1h30 from the festival, with a change of train in Brussels.

This is a serious underestimate of the actual length of the journey and hassle people will face trying to get from Charleroi to Werchter, particularly if there's a gang with you and you're a european train virgin!

There were ten of us last year and it took us around 3-4 hours of painful trekking across belgium until we reached the campsites.

Pay the extra few quid and fly with Aer Lingus, your back and sanity will thank you for it.

Advertisement