Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat has not returned - advice needed...

Options
  • 06-11-2008 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭

I have/had this cat since she was two days old. She was abandoned by her mother and was near death. I reared her from then which is now one year and three months ago. She is/was a very quiet pettish cat and everyday i let her out she would return to greet me when i got home. However last weekend she never returned and is missing since. This is very unlike her. I have now come to the conclusion (reluctantly) that she is not going to return.

Has anyone ever experienced this before with hopefully a happy outcome?? I cannot think of anywhere she would have went as she never ventured too far from the house/garden. Is it time to give up hope??? :(:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

I have a cat I found when she was about 3 weeks. She is just gone 3 now and is very clingy. She went missing for two days about 3 months ago and came back. Put up posters and ring all the local vets. She could have had an accident and someone could have brought her to the vet. Is your cat chipped?
    I hope you find her. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Put posters up, call around your neighbours, try the local vets, pounds and shelters and then call the council and ask to speak to the people who clean the roads around your area and see if they have seen any cats that may have been hit by a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Get your neighbours to check their sheds, cats very often get locked inside.

Hope you find her soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 CatLady1

Ticktactoe, don't give up hope. good advice given putting up posters etc.

I had a cat for 11 years. He was outdoors and would be there every day without fail, and would never be far away during the day. But most years around halloween (he hated all the noises) he would go awol for days, sometimes 4 or 5 days. I used to try to keep him in, but he'd hate that. I reckon he had some 'safe place' of his own that he liked to hide out. I used to worry, but he'd always return. So basically don't give up hope! Hope she returns safe and sound soon :).

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭daviddwyer

I know what its like but dont give up hope. We have a male cate and the first weekend in July he just disappeared, no sign of him anywhere. After trying to find him we assumed he wasnt coming back. One night early September he just came back... miaowing at the back door as if he had never been away. He was a little thin but otherwise ok. I wish he could tell me what adventures he had been up to!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭scatty

Rancid wrote: »
    Get your neighbours to check their sheds, cats very often get locked inside.

Hope you find her soon.
    totally agree with this post check everywhere possible, including rubbish bins !! our cat was missing for 10 days we had given up hope when our nieghbour 6 doors down found our cat locked in his shed he doesn't know how our cat got in ,we are just glad to have him home

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

Thanks guys for the positive posts. She is a week gone today and not a single sign of her. I have another cat who is not herself since. I leave a small bathroom window open 24/7 incase she returns as it is her favourite window to jump in and out of. I have gone out every eve looking for her and checked the sheds near by but to my dismay no positive results.

Have another question for ye.... at what point is it too late for her to return? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭MadPatrick

It's never too late, here in Australia there was a story about a cat who disappeared and 12 years later rocked up like it was there the whole time. But that's not common, hence the fact it was on the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭jinxycat

i had a cat before who went missing for 3 months, thought he was never coming back so i threw all his stuff out, toys bedding the lot, and guess what he came back the very next day.
    cats do ramble off sometimes so never do give up hope

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Gingerspice99

Hi

My cat did the same thing - missing for over a week! We went looking for her every evening after work calling her and walking the local area and nothing!

Today I was taking the dogs for a walk and there she was in our neighbours window - they had gone away on holiday - luckily we had a key and we could rescue her - thank god she used the shower as a litter tray.

This is not the first time she has wandered but every time shes gone she seems to get stuck in somewhere and cant get out
    Railway shed
    Garden shed
    Neighbours
    etc

Dont give up hope the longest she was gone was 17 days - was skinny as a rake and starving when we got her back - they have very good survival instincts.

Best of luck ;)

• Advertisement

Hey Guys. Thanks for all the comments and well wishes.
    You wont believe it, but she is back!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    She arrived back on the doorstep last night at half two! Meeooowwing and scratching at the door. Couldn't believe it! She is very very skinny so I am feeding her as much as she can eat and giving her loads of water along with loads of TLC! She is purrring all the time and when she is not at that she is sleeping on top of me on the couch!
    I just want to say thanks a mil to you who left comments cos to be honest it was the only thing that was keeping me going and not giving up hope.
    Cheers! :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Ah thats fantastic!!!! Great news :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

One of mine can disappear for up to a week at a time, tho he hasn't done it in years. Always worrying when it happens tho.
    Any sign OP ?
    OOps congrats :))

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭daviddwyer

Great news!!! Dont you wish they could tell you what they've been up to. When our lad came back after 2 months.. he lorded around as if he had never been away!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Sage'sMama

I'm so glad she came back! :D It's time's like this when the cat cam comes in handy to tell you what there up to! You might want to consider micro chipping though at least if someone comes across them they can find there home!

"If cats could talk they wouldn't" Nan Porter

Hi Guys!
    If only she could tell me of her travels!

She is very hoarse, very very skinny and now has a bad case of the 'toilet' problems. She was very bad this eve and unable to control it. The time came when i had to intervene and rang the vet on call. She is now currently staying over night in the Vetinary Clinic going on a coarse of anti biotecs, x-rays and rehydration drip. The vet seems to think she may have caught an infection as her temperature is high. So it looks like she is spending a few nights in the clinic...:(:(:(

If she was a boy cat i wouldn't have been so concerned about the 'wandering' off. But i hear it is very unusual for a female cat to wander. However every cloud has a silver lining! :) and hopefully next wednesday or so she will be back home for some more TLC!

Thanks guys for the comments! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

very happy to hear that,been through this on countless occasions and they always turn up,very strange creatures are cats,minds of their own but very,very clever.by the way is she doctored?

Hi Greatgoal, thanks.

No she is not doctored. The strange thing is I was only in discussins about bringing her in to be neutured the week she disappeared.... she may have overheard me! It is however next on the agenda, once she is back on form and has a clean bill of health. The vet this eve doesn't seem to think she is in kitten as he did an examination on her.

Im hoping this 'wandering off' thing doesn't become a habbit! :rolleyes:

Advertisement