Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Panel 2008

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Dara O'Brien spent most of his time helming the show trying to drag everybody back on topic and have a serious discussion. That was the joy of the show originally. The comedy was a large part of it, but they actually dissected current affairs in an much more intelligent way than what was going on in the ho hum discussion show on RTE1 (forget the name of it, not the View or something?)

If you ask me they should get a non-comedian to host the show. Then they could rotate the other panelists in and out because I think Colin Murphy and Neil Delamare aren't good enough to not become repetitive on a week in week out basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

Declan30 wrote: »
    Folks what would be your perfect line up for the panel,

Mine Des Bishop as host.

No, no, no, no, no... NO DES BISHOP, he is not funny

Without the accents he is just an unfunny fud, with the accent he is an unfunny fud with an accent.

As bad as the Panel is right now, having Des Bishop involved full time is taking a silk purse and turning it into a sow's ear :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Folks what would be your perfect line up for the panel,

Ian Hislop, Paul Merton....oh wait

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Declan30

Hmm Typical Irish response that.If you cant come up with your own line up sure lets can the show all together.

Care to pick a line up for the show :rolleyes:

elshambo wrote: »
    :o

Now thats comedy & i dont mean the lineup:D

Show needs to be canned!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Hmm Typical Irish response that.If you cant come up with your own line up sure lets can the show all together.

Typial Irish response?

If something's crap, you get rid of it. However, in RTE is something's crap they keep it and smear it all over prime time tv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Best Possible Line up:
    Host - Dara O'Briain
    Panel:
    Colin Murphy (from four years ago)
    Dylan Moran
    Jimmy Carr
    Kerry Katona (so they can hopefully skit to death.)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

If you ask me they should get a non-comedian to host the show

Isn't that what they've been doing for the past few weeks to disasterous results?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Declan30

Well u have a point they do smear it all over prime time tv when it is a bad show but they rte made it a bad show with poor guest hosts.
    thye have to get it back to the orignial format otherwise people will stop watching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

oh how dreary, somebody take it out and put it out of its misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Wacko

Where to start, that was brutal, youtube clips that struggle to make you crack a smile, some woman I have never seen or heard of before who said nothing except admit she is cruel to her child and a gardener who really should have had someone wiping the sweat of his upper lip, I don't think it can be classed as a comedy show, bring on Boris Johnston he always gets a laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

Carol Tobin is a comedian apparently. Never heard of her but she is fockin gorgeous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

dedon wrote: »
    Carol Tobin is a comedian apparently. Never heard of her but she is fockin gorgeous.

Lovely lookin [but not very funny] anyone now anything else about her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

So you were actually serious, now its even funnier:rolleyes:

As if RTE could afford Kay AND/OR Moran:o

As if Kay and Moran could afford to be seen on such rubbish:eek:

As if Kay and Moran would bother with such rubbish for anything more than a one off flog a book/dvd visit:D

This show is never mentioned on the boards comedy forum, Id say thats for a reason:eek: (go start a thread over there to prove me wrong :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

starn wrote: »
    Lovely lookin [but not very funny] anyone now anything else about her
    She looked very uncomfortable for most of the show. She tried to say something funny at the start, it went down like a lead balloon, and she pretty much shut up for the rest of the show.

At the moment, The Panel is a passable way to spend 40 minutes, but nowhere near as funny as it could/should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

I thought Tobin was funny last night. Very deadpan sense of humour. The story of telling her friend's child about Santa was actually funny.

What is the story with Marty Morrisey though?! His forehead seems to be expanding more and more every time I see him. If you dyed his hair red and dressed him like a redneck, he could be Chucky.

Thought last night wasn't as bad as normal, but it needs to be back on RTE2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Thought last night wasn't as bad as normal, but it needs to be back on RTE2.

Yup, I thought it was a bit better than it's been the last few weeks (although still far behind what it's been in the past) Gavin was an unobtrusive host, we had no token female...well we had except she was bearable. Let's face it, a mannequin would be funnier than Farrell. Lack of Maxwell, who although I like him does tend to take over a bit of late and it gets a bit tiresome. The other guy (with Delamere) who's name escapes me was pretty funny.
    Apart from that it's still lacking a lot, but I can't see what else they can do...obviously O'Briain is the missing factor and on the whole the guest host thing isn't working out IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

The recording was funny, didn't watch the show on TV.
    Carol Tobin was not funny, Yer man from the radio was trying very hard and only occasionally funny and the Gardener was dull as dishwater. Delamere was funny and warmed up the audience even though he was suffering from a flu. Colin Murphy wasn't at his best but still doing his bit.
    Most of the recording would have been censored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

If it continues the way its going I say kill it. Kill it immediately. Last night was dreadful. They are really scraping the bottom of the barrell with presenters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

I remember Colin Murphy in his Blizzard of Oz ripping into Keith Barry, different story last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I thought Carol Tobin wasn't actually that bad. She would probably grow in to the role well if she was given a run of a few shows. She was certainly an improvement on Mairead Baps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Paddo81

I dont know why ppl hate Mairead Farrell so much. For anyone to work as a panelist the number one criteria as i see it is that they are comfortable. OK so the comedians must be funny, take that as a given, but they all must be comfortable and not self conscious about what they say. Any woman they've had on bar Mairead have been abit prissy and not forthcoming with the banter n craic. ie That hot Rose of Tralee one.

Mairead isnt funny but then shes not a comedian so what do ya expect, she just has to look pretty (which she sort of does!) ;) Be able to play the straight man/woman to the comedians gags and just be cool. And she ticks all those boxes. Most of the women that have tried it barely manage one. Pauline McGlynn was one exception, I thought she was always ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭sr. kila

Personally i think the new season of the panel is shockingly bad.
    I blame the guest presenters. Also the show gives too much time to the serious and boaring special guests which takes away from the comedy.

What do you think............ leave a comment..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

When that celebrity lawyer came on as a guest, Gerald Keane, it hit a new low. To make such a decision is a very bad error of judgement. I don't want to have to look at his smug face for half an hour, especially seeing as he has no relevance. He's a celebrity lawyer, so what?

The Panel has seemed to slip as of late, between Maxwell going on meanigless rants ( don't get me wrong, he can be funny) and the lack of special guests and such, it's standards have slipped. When you compare it to other comedy shows, it's tripe.

Then again, it is on RTE, so we'll have to make allowances for that..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The Panel has gone down hill. I have hear a few stories as to why?

RTE are telling the producers who should be guest presenter and lack of funding for writing.

But the fact that many of the panelist don't live full time in Ireland is a major problem with this show IMO. Often they come across as uninformed bumkins rather then Satirists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

"getting"..............?

That show has been a no-go area since Big Daddy Dara abandoned ship.

Murphy and Delamere have their moments I'll admit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

There's a fairly indepth thread on The Panel in this forum already.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Pigman II wrote: »
    Well the show is digging a hole for itself.

You should write for them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Elmo wrote: »
    You should write for them :)

Yes, but I don't think I could come up with 4 hours worth of knob jokes per week.

Frankly the pressure is the reason I got out of topical comedy in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Pigman II wrote: »
    Frankly the pressure is the reason I got out of topical comedy in the first place.
    Pressure is for tyres............!.............:o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement