Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earthworks: calculating how many skips needed.

Options
  • 06-11-2008 10:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭

Have an area 42 sq meters where I need to remove 0.25m in depth using a JCB and a dumper to load the roll on roll off skips [ 15cu m/20 cu yd] ones.
    The 'undug' volume is 10.5 cu m : how many 15cu m skips should I budget for please?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

I'd think you'd get away with one skip. If the soil is so light that it expands by over 50% when tipped into the skip, simply pile it and then smack it down a bit with the bucket of the JCB;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Thanks, the reason I posted this was the quote I got was for 6k for the digging out and putting in crushed stone: when I queried the figure I was told skips are very expensive these days:) need 3 or 4 for this job:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Carlow52 wrote: »
    Thanks, the reason I posted this was the quote I got was for 6k for the digging out and putting in crushed stone: when I queried the figure I was told skips are very expensive these days:) need 3 or 4 for this job:eek:

Right, but were they talking about skips to deliver the crushed stone as well as for taking the soil away?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭builditwell

Art6 is right All you need is one skip

Skip prices are at an all time low and skips are not reqd for delivering stone. Surely it would come from quarry or provider and is tipped on site. Check your local directory and phone for quotes. If you are based in the east dublin to wex area greenstar have best prices at the min. I got one delivered for €550 14cu/mtr. East coast could only do it for €630 at the time. €80 saving is worth the couple of calls.

Regards
    Builditwell

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Carlow52 wrote: »

Carlow 52,

you are being ripped off.

Man+Machine max € 400/day (Dublin rate, elswhere cheaper)

1 Grab € 250- € 300
    1 Load 804 € 300

Spreading/Levelling max 1 day € 300.00 - € 400.00.

• Advertisement
Advertisement