Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need to buy reliable 4x4 in Oz. Need advise

Options
  • 06-11-2008 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm moving to Australia and going to travel down the coast from Cairns in the North to Brisbane and maybe further. So i want a 4x4 so i can go off road and some beechs etc and also tour down the roads.

Anybody able to recommend something?
    I've heard the Toyota Hiluxs are bullet proof! I dont want a 4liter engine since running that would bleed me dry. Also i am guessing whatever i buy will be 10years+ old so something that wont be expensive to get parts for and repair when/if it breaks down.

Anybody got some tips as to what to look for ? Budget will be 4k Euro's top,(7500 Ozzy dollars).

Just to recap, 4x4 & about a 2 or 2.5liter engine that is super reliable and cheap to run.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Subaru Forester?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,318 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Do you really need a 4x4? Most people survive in falcons and commodores. If you really do need one then you wont go wrong with a 70 series land cruiser, it's a bit agricultural but unbreakable. A hilux surf may also fit the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Isn't petrol muchos cheap in Oz?

So the Irish hang-up about 2.0/2.5 being a big engine should be left at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

Anan1 wrote: »
    Subaru Forester?

YES! Would you get a cheap one though?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I just had a quick look on www.ebay.com.au, it seems doable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Ozies really like their big V8 petrols so your going to be limited looking for something that they class as small especially in a 4x4. The Mitsubishi Pajaro comes to mind. Most would be 3.0 litre V6.

BTW us Irish seem to be brain washed to want small engines and even abroad it seems to be a hard habbit to break. My guess is that once you get there and find your feet you'll want nothing less than a V8 too. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

The Irish are not "brainwashed" into driving small engines, we have been for decades taxed the fcuk off the road on anything above a 1.4 engine from a government not qualified to wipe the **** from our shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    The Irish are not "brainwashed" into driving small engines, we have been for decades taxed the fcuk off the road on anything above a 1.4 engine from a government not qualified to wipe the **** from our shoes.

Agreed but that could be seen as a form of brainwashing as we still generally have the same mentality when we move abroad.

Anyway back on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Depends on you ropinion of taxed to ****. All my cars bar one have been somewhere between 1.8 and 2.5. I've never had any isue with paying the tax.

Your only talking of a jump of around €100 per incriment from 1.4 -> 1.6 ->1.8->2.0. , over the course of a year thats not a lot. People are afraid of any tax rate over 1.6 because they see it as "mad money" yet those same people will see no issue wastign money on rubbish left , right and centre in small amounts that add up to multiples of the year motor tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Pisses me off when an anti-Government ranter derails a thread! :mad:

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

toyota landrover

peanuthead wrote: »
    toyota landrover

I prefer the Landrover Hilux

Stekelly wrote: »
    I prefer the Landrover Hilux

they look savage but wouldnt be cheap though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

toyota landrover

:D:D:D

ninty9er wrote: »

It's the most boring ****heap in the world.:)

oh holy crap just realised!! haha

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, Charlieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

You know, not everyone wants a big engined car for going to the shops. Just because it's expensive to have a car with a big engine over here doesn't mean that's the reason why everyone doesn't have one.

Anyway to get back on-topic, I haven't spent much time in crew-cab type off-roaders, but the time I have spent in them has been very uncomfortable. If you're doing a bit of touring, bear in mind that you don't want a real bone rattler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

ninty9er wrote: »

Toyota Landcruiser maybe ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Fail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I agree with getting a Falcon or commadore, if you really need a 4x4 think about a jimny Although small its very economic
    Heres one for 3500 euro

http://www.carpoint.com.au/used-car/SUZUKI/JIMNY/Victoria/csn6378913.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

A camper van is the best way to travel. Do you relaise that Cairns to Brisbane is not that far. I did Sydney to Cairns in a van in seven days and that was taking my time.

Advertisement