Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Legality on NI reg car

Options
  • 06-11-2008 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭

Hi, im from and living in the south but girlfriend is from the north. Is it possible to purchase a car in NI and for me to drive it legally in the south? Basically is there a way around VRT for me? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,982 ✭✭✭✭L1011

No. Irish residents cannot drive foreign registered cars. Your girlfriend can drive it down here pretty much unimpeded assuming she's still resident up there, you can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Yes I'd say it's against your rights as a citizen of the EU that you can't operate a foreign registered vehicle on Irish soil but it's the law here.

Advertisement