Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unix and linux

• 06-11-2008 11:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to get experience on the above OS's, I dont have the space for hardware so im asking what’s the best way to get a system up and running on a virtual environment...I've only a laptop to work with.

specs are

* Intel Pentium M 750 (1.86GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 533MHz FSB)
    * 14.0" SXGA (1400 x 1050) display
    * 60GB, 7200RPM Hard Drive
    * 512MB DDR2 SDRAM
    * CD-RW/DVD-RW (CD 24x Read, 16x Write) (DVD 3x Read, 2x Write)
    * Standard 6-cell battery and optional 9-cell extended life battery
    * Ports: 2 USB 2.0, 1 ExpressCard slot, 1 PCMCIA card slot, 56K Modem, Ethernet LAN port, PS2 port, headphone jack, microphone jack, parallel port, VGA out port
    Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2
    * ATI X300 Graphics Card with 64MB RAM
    * Intel PRO/Wireless 2915 802.11 a/b/g internal wireless card

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Look at VirtualBox or VMWare Server - both free VM solutions.
    However, with only 512MB RAM things will get very slow running a VM on top of your OS. I'd recommend getting at least 1GB if not 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

As zilog_jones mentioned, VirtualBox is great for trying stuff out in a sandbox.

Also, if you're just trying them out, you should look into live disks such as SLAX or knoppix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Set up the VirtualBox and install it in that. The laptop is decent enough so you could install pretty much any flavour of Linux. Ubuntu is the most popular consumer edition but it depends on what you want to play with it for. If it's for business/CV experience Fedora would be the way to go - RedHat is the distro of choice for business and Fedora is the community edition of it.

If you've any specific Linux questions pop into the Unix forum and ask away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

If you're up for giving Ubuntu a chance and get reasonable performance I suggest giving wubi a shot. It installs through Windows and you won't have to go through any messy repartitioning of your hard drive or sluggish performance (with only 512mb ram) using a virtualised OS.

Advertisement