Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painful periods

Options
  • 07-11-2008 12:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭

In the 16 years i've been having periods i have never suffered as badly as i did this week. I was in an awful lot of pain all week and i still am. I've suffered with period cramps before but its only ever for a day or two. Never all week. Does any body else suffer badly.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭darling.x

I'm under a lot of stress at work at the mo, so would this have anything to do with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Probably a cyst or something, wouldn't worry about it unless it becomes frequent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Cysts are dangerous, serously you should go to you dr and get checked out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I think the statistics are that about 80% of women have cysts, but only a small number are affected by them. Sister filling me in on all this the last few weeks. They can be very dangerous if they burst, and especially if they're inverted.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Nuravictus

Hey Darling.x,
    I did a little web search for you to see if anything helps.

Home Care

The following steps may allow you to avoid prescription medications:
    • Apply a heating pad to your lower abdomen (below your belly button). Be careful NOT to fall asleep with the heating pad on.
    • Do light circular massage with your fingertips around your lower abdomen.
    • Drink warm beverages.
    • Eat light but frequent meals.
    • Follow a diet rich in complex carbohydrates such as whole grains, fruits, and vegetables, but low in salt, sugar, alcohol, and caffeine.
    • Keep your legs elevated while lying down, or lie on your side with your knees bent.
    • Practice relaxation techniques such as meditation or yoga.
    • Try over-the-counter anti-inflammatory medicine, such as ibuprofen.
    • Try vitamin B6, calcium, and magnesium supplements, especially if your pain is from PMS.
    • Take warm showers or baths.
    • Walk or exercise regularly, including pelvic rocking exercises.
    If these self-care measures do not work, your doctor may prescribe medications such as:
    • Antibiotics
    • Antidepressants
    • Birth control pills
    • Stronger anti-inflammatories like diclofenac (Cataflam)
    • Stronger pain relievers (even narcotics such as codeine, for brief periods)
    When to Contact a Medical Professional

Call your doctor right away if:
    • Vaginal discharge is increased in amount or is foul-smelling.
    • You have a fever.
    • Your pain is significant, your period is more than one week late, and you have been sexually active.
    Also call your doctor if:
    • Self-care measures don't relieve your pain after 3 months.
    • You have an IUD that was placed more than 3 months ago.
    • You pass blood clots or have other symptoms with the pain.
    • Your pain is severe or sudden.
    • Your pain occurs at times other than menstruation, begins more than 5 days before your period, or continues after your period is over.

Hope that helps ya. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

An unusual change in your period pain should be checked out by a doctor. Seriously, please go to a doctor. It'll do you the world of good and probably put your mind at ease :)

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

In my experience doctors rarely take real head to this complaint! :mad::mad::mad:

I suffer terrible from period pains to since i came off my pill, (if you are on the pill i'd suggest trying a different one, sudden painful periods while on the pill can sometimes indicate that you have become prone to it) ... i walk around dosed up on tylex with heat pads attached to me :)

Warm baths, bed, and chocolate also help! Coffee doesnt!

Poor you :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

For pain a double brandy is miraculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

If you are worried, see your Doc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement