Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sting/The Police

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Dudess wrote: »
    Ah, Sting is considered "not cool to like", and thus, his old band has ended up in the same boat. Similar to Genesis/Phil Collins.
    Not saying it's correct - I love songs by The Police, Sting, Genesis and even old Philo, just saying that's the stance the "cool" (and wanky) music press would take.

They are? by whom? show yourselves!

Genisis are damn cool...

as is phil

and when the press doesn't think somethings cool you know it's _really_ cool

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Ah, Sting is considered "not cool to like", and thus, his old band has ended up in the same boat. Similar to Genesis/Phil Collins.
    Not saying it's correct - I love songs by The Police, Sting, Genesis and even old Philo, just saying that's the stance the "cool" (and wanky) music press would take.

Hah, Eminem is considered cool. But you can have a guess what i think of someone who suffers from "exhaustion" from sitting around rapping over other peoples samples. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭davylee

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Be more specific please?
    loads of overdubbing on drums and effects all over the place
    fantastic harmonies and backing everywhere but all done by sting which can't be done live
    2 and 3 guitars in songs
    bass mainly just effects i think which is good for live

davylee wrote: »
    loads of overdubbing on drums and effects all over the place
    fantastic harmonies and backing everywhere but all done by sting which can't be done live
    2 and 3 guitars in songs
    bass mainly just effects i think which is good for live

I'd really like to know exactly which songs you're referring to with all of these...

There weren't that much backing on the earlier albums (that i noticed, with Synchronicity being the exception)

Live, on some tours they did have backing singers, notibably the Synchronicity tour

2-3 Guitars in songs? You sure that wasn't just Summers effects rack?

Effects in bass? Care to give some examples please?

I'd really like to know exactly which songs you're referring to with all of these...

There weren't that much backing on the earlier albums (that i noticed, with Synchronicity being the exception)

Live, on some tours they did have backing singers, notibably the Synchronicity tour

2-3 Guitars in songs? You sure that wasn't just Summers effects rack?

Effects in bass? Care to give some examples please?
    theres at least 2 guitars on message, cant stan loosing you, next to to you, so lonely, born in the 50's, walking on the moon peanuts
    drums overdubbed and looped loads on message and walking
    possibly the most important thing is the vocal e.g. roxanne
    (but really on lots of their stuff) What did they do all the times it was just a raw 3 piece.
    I will (especially after this) get a copy of synchronicity. want to find out more about them live now. Much of what im saying is based on i hear listening to records . Played in a 3 piece (not quite as good as the police mind) and i always though it would take at least 4 or 5 to reproduce the records live

• Advertisement

theres at least 2 guitars on message, cant stan loosing you, next to to you, so lonely, born in the 50's, walking on the moon peanuts
    drums overdubbed and looped loads on message and walking

Wrong, they're all delay pedals. Message in a bottle can easily be done with a chorus pedal too. All were replicated live as well.
    possibly the most important thing is the vocal e.g. roxanne
    (but really on lots of their stuff) What did they do all the times it was just a raw 3 piece.
    I will (especially after this) get a copy of synchronicity. want to find out more about them live now. Much of what im saying is based on i hear listening to records . Played in a 3 piece (not quite as good as the police mind) and i always though it would take at least 4 or 5 to reproduce the records live

Without sounding like a smartass, but you're so gonna be proved wrong when you get that. It was reissued on DVD about five years ago so it's not hard to find. That wasn't a case of over production. It was a case of three guys who knew how to use their instruments well for their time. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sure Rush have proved how to play complex "multi-part" tracks for 30 years.

Mike

On and off a stage too! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Well, I always thought that The Police brought something extra when performing live. It was hard to believe they were a three-piece with all the sound generated. All three were virtuoso musicians in their chosen instruments, and Sting, in particular, was a very talented songwriter. He had a very recognisable vocal, which, I suppose, could be slightly irritating.

I saw The Police live in Croke Park and I thought their arrangements of their mainly well-known tunes was brilliant - some of it was a bit like Sting in his solo jazz mode. By the way, they did perform "Regatta de Blanc".
    Many years ago I bought their first and last albums - Outlandos D'Amour and Synchronicity. They are two very different sounds - one being a series of raw and mainly quick songs with a hint of reggae and new wave, the other was sophisticated multi-layered, with many instruments, adult pop. For me, both work and stand on their own feet. Great tunes on both albums. I have heard some other top tracks from their other albums too.

Harking back to Sting's solo stuff. I think it varies between excellent and just ok, but I can't recall any of his songs being intolerable to listen to. For my money, Sting's fist solo outing - Dream of The Blue Turtle - is a great album. It was also quite a departure from The Police's rock-oriented sound to a more jazz-oriented and adult sound. There are a number of great tunes on that album. Sting has penned a few haunting tunes since then, such as Fragile and When We Dance.

Wrong, they're all delay pedals. Message in a bottle can easily be done with a chorus pedal too. All were replicated live as well.

Not the biggest police fan but do like them. More of a music and sound fan.
    Will get that gi
    Summers must be good to be able to play rhythm and then lead over it.
    must ring up boss and ask the for one of them pedals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭sparkzter

Aahhh The Police, a great band alright! Like you said, everyone likes at least one of their songs! And "Message In A Bottle" is a true classic! Stings "Fields Of Gold" will always be remembered too, but I do wish that everyone would stop covering it- it seems to get hammered alot... :(

Summers must be good to be able to play rhythm and then lead over it.
    must ring up boss and ask the for one of them pedals

I've yet to hear him play a solo over another guitar. That's usually Sting's bass work that does the backing. King Of Pain is a classic example, De do do do de da da da is another example. Message in a bottle is very doable with pedals.

Might wanna go over their songs again there. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 suzy66

If you're fans of the Police, Check out a band called Fiction Plane and see what you think of them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 musicmaster

Hey guys,

I recently managed to get my hands on a sample Signed Limited Edition (1500 worldwide) copy of Andy Summers book "Ill be watching you - Inside the police 1980-83".

It comes in a gorgeous black card box covered with felt. The pages edges are silver brushed and on the inside it says:

"This book is copy number 0000 in a worldwide edition of one thousand five hundred copies"

Below its signed in thick blue marker by him and under that is printed:

Andy Summers Los Angeles, 2006.

A few honest points: It has a neat little sticker strip mark on top where Sample was peeled off inside but it will come off easily with an eraser end. It also has a second Sample sticker on the page after the autograph which can be easily taken off too I'd imagine...

I work in the book trade and feel it could be worth quite a bit but I'm afraid of floggin' it for cents on eBay or somethin' ya know?

Any ideas of what it could be worth or anythin'?

Thanks a mill in advance.

PS. Pics available on request, just PM me and I'll e-mail 'em right over...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

*shudders *
    Id rather listen to the crazy frog than sting and his faux Jamaican accent.
    An abomination of a band fronted by one of the most annoying men in music.

Their are few bands I dislike as much

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Best blu ray concert released to date. The Police - Certifiable. Fantastic picture and sound quality of these great musicians live on stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Outlandos d'Amour was the very first album I bought with my pocket money when I was a kid, have loved them ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Even though he's a bit of a Bono lite, Gordon Sumner (Sting) has written and recorded some utterly quality songs.

pfft, he's only the rockstar Bono wanted to be. Sting does yoga, save rainforests while doing car commercials, has appeared in dodgy movies (dune) and has tantric sex, what has bono got? Hanging out with the pope and making vague statements.

Advertisement