Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

help stop evil pop-ups

• 07-11-2008 2:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

hello could anyone help me out, pop ups are taking over my computer. I have pop up blocker turned on, have tried the 3 different settings on it including the highest one, and have scanned for all spyware and viruses and everything seems to be ok. Anyone any ideas? thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

What browser do you use? What dodgy sites are you visiting? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Ruu wrote: »
    What browser do you use? What dodgy sites are you visiting? ;)

I've only been visiting knitting and puppy websites, nothing else :p
    No there's nothing dodgy there, pop ups are for poker, american green card etc.
    using internet explorer but happening on mozilla firefox too.
    Just so god damn annoying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Pyro Boy

with firefox 3 it happens? Have you allowed popups from certain sites? What are the websites that this happens on to see if it's your computer ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Some sites do popup in Firefox, even though it's supposed not to happen. People have obviously found ways around Firefox's protection.

I have found this helpful: http://noscript.net/

I don't know which version of Firefox it is, the one released in may of this year. I thought internet explorer would be the best browser to combat something like this? I have internet explorer 8, just downloaded it
    Websites I visit are boards, ufc.com, bebo, hotmail, nothing that has security problems or anything like that. Constantly running checks with virus software to make sure it's nothing on my pc, can't understand it.
    Anyone have similar problems?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Dan133269 wrote: »
    I don't know which version of Firefox it is, the one released in may of this year. I thought internet explorer would be the best browser to combat something like this? I have internet explorer 8, just downloaded it
    Websites I visit are boards, ufc.com, bebo, hotmail, nothing that has security problems or anything like that. Constantly running checks with virus software to make sure it's nothing on my pc, can't understand it.
    Anyone have similar problems?

Download Malwarebytes and perform a quick scan.

Remove everything it finds.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

just to let you people know and possibly help others in similar situations, I changed from internet explorer to mozilla firefox and the problem has been pretty much fixed :) typical microsoft!

Advertisement