Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cervical Cancer Vaccine - Have YOU had it?

Options
  • 07-11-2008 4:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭pandamoanium

Sorry for yet another post on the subject guys.. I think it's something a lot of us are interested in though.

I'm thinking about getting it myself, but just wondring if anyone here has had it?

I'm 25, and it appears it's only effective up to age 26, hence me wanting to get it before then.

I've done a lot of googling on the subject, I'm still a little confused though.. If you've already had multiple partners is it still worth getting?

As fas as I know I've never come into contact with HPV but I'm a little worried that I've left it too late now that I'm already 25.

I wish I had known about this when I was younger! One of my friends sisters who is only 21 has recently being diagnosed with cervical cancer so this has really hammered the point home.

Also, does anyone know if there's any relief for medical card holders? Not sure I can afford the 600 Euro it costs.. :(

Would love to hear from anyone who has had this vaccine, what age you were when you got it etc..

Thanks everyone :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

Gonna get my third "installation" of the vaccination in two weeks. It is most effective for girls to get the shot before they're introduced to HPV, and they did the clinical trials on the 9-26 age group - which is why it's recommended for girls/women that age.

I thought I was too old to get it late this spring (I was 25 when I got the first shot), but when I told my doctor, she said that I was fine. Friends of mine have had different reactions to the medication, but I didn't have any trouble with it at all (except for a bit of soreness where the needle went in).

If you haven't already, check out the FAQs here: http://www.gardasil.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Does it really cost €600? Someone on the radio was reading the original government report, which costed it at something like €100.

In Australia - just checking other prices - it costs AU$400 (€210) to individuals who don't fall within the public health scheme for vaccination - see here: http://www.cancercouncil.com.au/editorial.asp?pageid=253#7

I'm too old for it, but I'd certainly be thinking about it if I was under 26. Money well spent, I'd say.

And remember, you can claim 'unreimbursed medical expenses' back on your taxes at the end of the year (you can download the MED1 form to do this from the Revenue site). Have to check with your doctor whether this tax break includes elective vaccinations, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭SW81

Can you definitely not get it after 26?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

If you have not had sexual contact which could have exposed you the virus then you should talk to a dr who is willing to provide it. Make an appointment to have a consult about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

I've been treated for early signs of cervical cancer since 2005, so i don't think i am able to get it, my advice is, regardless of price girls, go get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

Yes, you can get it after age 26, but it's most effective when administered before your body has been introduced to HPV, hence being able to get it as young as 9. See the FAQs that I posted earlier . . . and then ask your doctor if it's right for you.

(No, I'm not a paid advertisement. :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭aviendha

yup, got it done over 2 years ago, and it cost me 3 x 200euro a pop... but worth every penny for a certain level of peace of mind.

Previously had CIN II problems so this was a no-brainer for me... was 25 at the time and my GP recommended I get in before the lock, so to speak!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭FockRoysh

aviendha wrote: »
    yup, got it done over 2 years ago, and it cost me 3 x 200euro a pop... but worth every penny for a certain level of peace of mind.
    Yeah it is expensive...hopefully worth it. Its sore tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

I was told by the IFPA I couldn't have it as more than likely I have already been exposed to HPV so it wouldn't work????
    I'm 24. They told me they will really only give it to girls (age 12 or so) who have not already been sexually active...
    My doc won't do smears and the IFPA won't give me one until I'm 25 so how can I find out if I've been exposed to HPV or not?
    *frustrated*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Cmol

bnagrrl wrote: »
    I was told by the IFPA I couldn't have it as more than likely I have already been exposed to HPV so it wouldn't work????
    I'm 24. They told me they will really only give it to girls (age 12 or so) who have not already been sexually active...
    My doc won't do smears and the IFPA won't give me one until I'm 25 so how can I find out if I've been exposed to HPV or not?
    *frustrated*

Your doctor wont do smears?!?! Get to another doctor asap!!! There are links on the stickied thread about the free smears program at the top of the page.

Also, im not 100% about this, but unless you actually have symptoms of HPV I dont think theres a test to see whether you have been exposed to it -I stand to be corrected on that one though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

Cmol wrote: »
    Your doctor wont do smears?!?! Get to another doctor asap!!! There are links on the stickied thread about the free smears program at the top of the page.

Also, im not 100% about this, but unless you actually have symptoms of HPV I dont think theres a test to see whether you have been exposed to it -I stand to be corrected on that one though!

I've been to the IFPA three times this year about a smear, the last time they told me they weren't taking appointments for it until the free tests are sorted out and because I'm under 25 they won't see me anyway.
    I've signed up for the free test but until I'm 25 I won't be called for that either.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Actually, do routine STD tests check for HPV? How can you know if you've been exposed to it or not if they don't?

• As far as I know, anyone who has ever had penetrative sex is very likely to have been exposed to HPV. I developed pre-cancerous lesions after one partner at 22. The consultant in the hospital told me over 7 out of 10 men carry the HPV virus. Most people can clear the virus, some of us aren't so fortunate.

My question is, is it worth me getting this vaccine? My doctor seems to think it's too late. I have mild abnormalities on my cervix which may need to be treated next year.

Advertisement