Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oz Photo ID for Bars

Options
  • 07-11-2008 6:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hi All,

Im in Sydney and have been having a bit of trouble getting into places even do im 28 i dont have a driving licence and id much rather not bring out my passport every night. Can i get a Oz proof of age card? Where is the best place to get one?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Is there such a thing? I haven't seen one anyway.

The way it is over here, in my experience, is that if you are over say 17 you have a drivers licence, which is unlike home. I got stopped by the coppers for a random breath test there last week and your man quizzed me suspiciously as to why I'm only on P plates here at 23. I explained that I'd just come over from Ireland where I didn't drive or had any need to.

I think that attitude towards a driver's licence might explain why there's no official equivalent of the Garda age card. Feel free to correct me though anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Yeah basically everyone has a drivers licence here. They look at you as if you have 2 heads if you say you have none. They also look at you as if you have 2 heads if you produce a plastic sleeve with folded piece of pink paper in it, and claim it's your drivers licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

They have an age card in NZ. I was going to get one as I too, didn't want to get carry my passport around everywhere with me but I solved the problem by getting an NZ drivers licence instead. They didn't like taking my Irish driving licence as evidence and I got refused once with it (but luckily I had my passport in my bag)

It's funny how they have one in NZ and not Aus really - what it you don't want to drive?

Why would you not want to drive? Particularly over here where most of the public transport systems are a pure inconvenience and only service part of society.

It's a cultural thing here. As soon as kids hit 16 they're straight in the car. It has its pros but obviously there are cons too as young road death figures will show.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭missannik

There are Proof of Age cards in Australia. Here is a link http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/downloads/2005_12_photocard_dl1.html

Hope that helps. :)

P.s. Xavi... you stand corrected. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Tell the door bitches/chimps that you are only out for a couple of hours and you don't usually get a night off from your kids. No dramas really ...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Why would you not want to drive?

Perhaps because the have an illness or disability which means they can't? Or perhaps they can't but aren't allowed.

Particularly over here where most of the public transport systems are a pure inconvenience and only service part of society.

Assuming you're Irish, that's a pretty rich comment to be making. There are entire estates here which have no public transport at all!

JustMary wrote: »
    Perhaps because the have an illness or disability which means they can't? Or perhaps they can't but aren't allowed.

People with disabilities get IDs don't they? For buses etc?
    Assuming you're Irish, that's a pretty rich comment to be making. There are entire estates here which have no public transport at all!

I grew up in Ireland and I can tell you 100% that the bus system in Dublin is a thousand times better than Perth's.

Why?

Very few buses go from a suburb straight to the city here. It's pretty much impossible to get a direct route to the city from a suburb unless you live really close or catch the train, of which there are only 4 lines. Buses run between stations, meaning you have to change each time. To get to the the city from my apartment I would have to catch three buses if I chose that route. Most people have to catch a bus AND a train for work. At home it was straight in on the 37 and they are much more frequent.

Very few housing estates in Dublin are without an accessible bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

dSTAR wrote: »
    Tell the door bitches/chimps that you are only out for a couple of hours and you don't usually get a night off from your kids. No dramas really ...

If you said that to my 'chimps' you wouldn't get anywhere near my bar. Only I'm allowed to call them my bitches!!

Anyway.
    Carry your passport, or apply for an Oz drivers licence.
    More often than not, we refuse international drivers licences.

Passport, Hanz 18+ and NZ Drivers Licence only accepted here.

Its not worth the fine to me and loss to my own licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I grew up in Ireland and I can tell you 100% that the bus system in Dublin is a thousand times better than Perth's.

Dublin:Perth is hardly a fair comparison. Sure the population size is roughly equal, but one is a capital city, one is a small (relatively speaking) city on the edge of the country. Of course a capital city that has existed since medieval times is going to have better systems that one which is less than 200 years old, and is in a vastly more spead-out country.

• Advertisement

JustMary wrote: »
    Dublin:Perth is hardly a fair comparison. Sure the population size is roughly equal, but one is a capital city, one is a small (relatively speaking) city on the edge of the country. Of course a capital city that has existed since medieval times is going to have better systems that one which is less than 200 years old, and is in a vastly more spead-out country.

What does the length of its existence have to do with anything? Any transport systems from medieval times are long since defunct.

Both cities have rail and bus networks, have similar populations, are both located on the coast and are both divided into north and south. I would have thought they were are ideal to compare and contrast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Can we get back on topic please? This thread is about age cards and ID getting in to bars. If you want to do a comparison of Perth and Dublin's public transport please start a new thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

They accept learner's permits as ID too. I just got mine, it cost $50 and an hour of my time to take a quick road theory test at a time that suited me. It's given to you on the spot if you pass and is valid for 10 years. :)

Now I just need to buy a car.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

How about expired ID? Was intending to bring my cancelled passport with the sides clipped out on the sessions with me, dont want to lose or damage my real one do I.

I walk into most spots in town these days without being asked anyway, but what is the story with one?

Advertisement