Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Tool, Hidden Things in Music

• 07-11-2008 7:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Just reading up on Tool's album lateralus and read that some people think there is a hidden meaning in the album - that the songs and patterns (specifically in the song lateralus) are mathematically based. This link shows what I mean; http://dmiessler.com/blog/the-math-and-philosophy-behind-tools-lateralus

I thought, yikes, if this is true these guys went to a heap of trouble! I just wanted to know what other's opinions of this are, if they think a link is there or if people are seeing patterns where there are none?

I know other artists have incorporated this kind of symbology into their music, for example the imagery used by the smashing pumpkins in their album Machina (http://www.nachtkabarett.com/SmashingPumpkins/Machina/ArtworkI-V). Does anyone else know of any other examples this kind of depth in music?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

There was a huge thread on the Tool theory a few years ago with people going to the trouble of making copies of the album sequenced in accordance with the Fibonacci theory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭quoteunquote

I tried that whole listening to the Lateralus album in a certain order but it didn't really work for me. Maybe I did it wrong but I just gave up. Most of the songs are class regardless of what order they're in anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭ZakAttak

Tool are total sh1te.

Theres no hidden meaning here, they're just sh1te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Oh yeah, totally! I completely thought they were good until you raised that excellent point Zak. Utterly thought provoking!

• Advertisement

You've just been Zakattacked, John, do you require a towel? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I've a suspicion that ZakAttack is just trolling and trying to get a reaction. You'd do well to ignore him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭RoosterIllusion

I heard that the album was actually based around Karl Hungus being a category moderator. Something about the patient being combined with the elevator sound from the start of The Grudge supposedly meaning that Karls "treatment" for the "patients" of boards was to smash them with an elevator sounding pneumatic hammer.

Regards the Tool theory, they have some fantastic music (I own all their albums) but they are all undoubtedly assholes. There is no theory behind the music. Not only would I assume they don't have the brains/weirdness to pull something like that off but also they are way to commercial for that, I read an interview with Maynard and his reply to the suppositions of this theory were along the lines of: "Yeah I heard if you play Aenima while drinking a slurpee you can derive a hidden meaning if you play the songs at the same BPM that you drink the slurpee at" or some crap like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 krimson765

i think maynard is the only asshole..the other guys are pretty cool and very creative artists.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Dirty Frank

Cool. Its good to get your opinion, I read the Lateralus page on Wikipedia and I wasn't too convinced. It says that for "Mantra" Maynard James Keenan recorded the sound his cat made when he squeezed it gently and then slowed it down so I didn't think that too thought provoking to be honest. I definately think their music is deep and love the album lateralus though.

But this whole thing reminds me of the last episode in Darren Brown "Trick or Treat" series where all the former guests were invited back for a party and were told that there was a counter on the wall and the first person to get their counter to reach 100 won 500 ponuds. There was all this crap left in the room, boxes and hula hoops and random things and they thought there was a pattern they were following that made the counter go up but it turned out that a girl in another room was watching a goldfish and every time it passed the mid point of the goldfish tank she put the counter up one. So the people were seeing patterns where theere were none.

Bit long winded but I think it illustrates my point!

• Advertisement

I don't think you can say out of hand that there isn't some bit of nudge, nudge, wink, wink going on with Tool but whether it means anything is a different story. They seem to be conspiracy nuts and attract other conspiracy nuts so it wouldn't surprise me if they started the whole rumour themselves. Personally I don't give a toss once they keep making decent albums and playing gigs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭xseanx

look for stairway to heaven backwards on you tube!
    some creepy **** right there.

24 … AND HATES ILLEGAL DOWNLOADING
    Some have speculated that the 10,000 Days cover art and cinematic musical flow are incentive to purchase, rather than download, the album. And Keenan takes a decidedly Lars Ulrichian view of file-sharing. “It’s stealing,” he says. “You can’t go into Wal-mart and take a jar of food.”

==>'nuff said.

Spot on. Stealing music is the domain of the ****ehawk and just because you don't have to hide a can under your jacket and sneak out doesn't make it any less of a theft.

I'm glad both Maynard and Zakattakkk are champions of respecting the work of artists.

Stealing music is the domain of the ****ehawk

==>Its also what normal people do.

Normal people are theives? Are you sure?

You're the one calling them thieves, not me.

It's also what the law calls them as technically it's copyright theft.

The law says lots of things, doesn't mean you have to agree with it; or even, that its right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

It does mean they'll bust you for it though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭smurfy89

This video is fairly cool, most people probably think its bs though! :p

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS7CZIJVxFY

ZakAttak wrote: »
    The law says lots of things, doesn't mean you have to agree with it; or even, that its right.

Oh yeah, totally man. Like stick it to the man, man. He can't be telling us what to do. Let's go download some Cher and take coke, that'll show him!

:rolleyes:

ZakAttak wrote: »
    Since when has that mattered?

Doctor J wrote: »
    Since when has that mattered?

Since when has it mattered if somebody downloads music?

John wrote: »
    Oh yeah, totally man. Like stick it to the man, man. He can't be telling us what to do. Let's go download some Cher and take coke, that'll show him!

:rolleyes:

Go and do it then.

LD 50 wrote: »
    It does mean they'll bust you for it though

How many people do you personally know that have been done for it?

Right, get this back on topic. Zak, don't drag a thread off topic again.

I wanted to like tool. I really did try. I still admire their skills as musicians, but after listening to much of their material (I saw them live when they performed at the only Irish Ozzfest- 2001?) I have come to the following conclusions:

Tool's lyrics are almost as bad as Morrisey's. Immature and over-dramatic. When 16 yr olds try to be philisophical they sound dumb, its much worse when the singer in question is much older then that.

Good drumming is cool, but they over indulge way too much. Sometimes their music sounds as if the only reason they're playing a song is because they've figured out a weird timing and feel a need to use it.

Big,crashing guitars every 2 seconds. This sound is initially shocking and gripping- but it wears thin quite quickly.

Take themselves way too seriously, as though they're here to educate us in something.

Wow, you actually contributed a proper opinion, not just announce that something's ****e. I'm proud of you Zak. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

There's apparently one of Debussy's works that uses the fibbonacci seuqence and the golden mean in its structure, but there was never any notes in any of debussy's notebooks about this kind of structure being deliberate, and it only happens in one work, so it's likely that it's coincidental.

Advertisement