Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

60s Heavy Metal Pioneers set to reform-one key member unconfirmed

• 07-11-2008 8:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭

No. Not those guys, these guys:

They're back writing tunes and it looks like, although not certain, that Dave Davis is back in the fold despite his stroke and previous objections.
    BBC article

Now theres a reunion you can look forward to without feeling like a ****

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

The Davies brothers are like fire and ice without the luke warm water in the middle.

Can't argue with the tunes though. It'll be interesting to see if it actually happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

"heavy metal pioneers" is a bit of a stretch!

Ray davies has been plugging away for so many years now. I'd be happy to see him getting some fresh recognition for his craft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Doctor J wrote: »
    The Davies brothers are like fire and ice without the luke warm water in the middle.
    :D
    big b wrote: »
    "heavy metal pioneers" is a bit of a stretch!
    Bit of a stretch, I'll grant you, but just a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You Really Got Me was the first power riff! and All Day and All of the Night was the second! That'll do.

That said I don't see the point of this unless they finally want to record a good album. ;)

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

mike65 wrote: »
    You Really Got Me was the first power riff! and All Day and All of the Night was the second! That'll do.

Mike

Perhaps, but Village green preservation society is about as far from Metal you can get. it shall be interesting to see what they come up with though

• Advertisement

They had a song called Rats, which was the b-side to Lola on a single I bought........jeez, about 35 years ago now?:eek:

Real ripping rock song - enjoy!

They had a song called Rats, which was the b-side to Lola on a single I bought........jeez, about 35 years ago now?:eek:

Real ripping rock song - enjoy!

Great track never heard it before. I think Dave Davis not going solo is one of the great what ifs of rock he had such a great voice as this track shows. I know Death of a Clown was released as himself but he had the Kinks as backing so wasn't really out on his own.

Great track, lovely sound, very Steppenwolf-ish. My Discovery of the day. Any more gems in your collection? Actually it could be a nice idea for a thread on rare/forgotten B-sides

It's weird, I haven't heard that song myself in a lot of years, but the reference to "heavy metal pioneers" brought it storming back!

Was very pleasantly surprised to see it there on youtube :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Speaking of heavy metal pioneers, anyone know the band High Tide? Amazingly heavy stuff for their time.

Not great sound on this, but here's a track from their first album Sea Shanties:

• Advertisement

Never heard of them until now, all those years reading Sounds and Kerrang and they never mentioned them once. :eek:

http://www.seaoftranquility.org/reviews.php?op=showcontent&id=4068

Mike

Speaking of heavy metal pioneers, anyone know the band High Tide? Amazingly heavy stuff for their time.

Not great sound on this, but here's a track from their first album Sea Shanties:

I have to say I don't know them at all. But it seems like I should correct that.

Verrrry interesting!

all those years reading Sounds and Kerrang and they never mentioned them once. :eek:

Kerrang for one is garbage journalism at it's lowest tbh, their writers are morons who know little of metal beyond the popular stuff. Honestly, I think there's really only one magazine where the staff truly know their stuff, and that's Terrorizer. They had some absolutely fantastic features about the origins of the genre, the early bands and mapping influences. Amazing read, and discovered an insane amount of bands I probably would've never heard of before.

I'm talking about back in the day - Mick Wall, Malc Dome, Mark Putterford etc.

Mike

Aye Big B, great band. I'd heartily recommend their album Sea Shanties. The 9 minute instrumental track Death Warmed Up is nothing short of awesome.
    I'm talking about back in the day - Mick Wall, Malc Dome, Mark Putterford etc.

Mike

What era was this?

1981-mid 90s (I bailed out in 1991 after one too many West coast Spandex/poodle haired cover act)

Mike

Aye Big B, great band. I'd heartily recommend their album Sea Shanties. The 9 minute instrumental track Death Warmed Up is nothing short of awesome.

Cheers Karl, I'll look out for that. :)

re music press, I used to like Sounds. NME went too punky, then too poppy. Melody Maker was....well, melody maker! :rolleyes:. Actually, as I recall it DID have some good info, but it was a real boring read. Think they saw themselves as a musicians paper, IIRC.

Worked abroad for a while & when I came back, Sounds was no more:(

Never heard of them either but dead good. Dug up this track, really like it
    Blankman Cries Again

Kinda reminds me of another great forgotten band The Groundhogs
    Split Part 1

If you like the Groundhogs, then you would like from the heavier side of the Krautrock spectrum GURU GURU

MoominPapa wrote: »
    Kinda reminds me of another great forgotten band The Groundhogs

They ain't forgotten in my house, MP:)

In fact, Cherry Red was on me zen just the other day.

• Advertisement

They ain't forgotten in my house, MP:)

In fact, Cherry Red was on me zen just the other day.

Class! Never understood how they are so overlooked - Tony McPhee is an amazing guitarist and a real original singer. Had Split on vinyl for years but it got wrecked in storage:( (Well when I say storage I mean my brothers attic:rolleyes:) Only have Who will save the World? now. Been meaning to fill the gaps. Can't find any footage of them in they're heyday - did you ever catch them live first time around or any other McPhee incarnation?

Yep, a much under-estimated band.

Here's Ship on the Ocean from "Thank God for the Bomb"

I saw them live at some point in the mid 70's with TS doing his stuff as only he could.

Talking of TS, he played with (amongst many others) a band called Amun Duul 2, who someone mentioned on here fairly recently. (was it you, Karl?)

Talking of TS, he played with (amongst many others) a band called Amun Duul 2, who someone mentioned on here fairly recently. (was it you, Karl?)

Didn't know about that - reckon the mention was from damonjewel:pac:

Yes it was me probably as they are my favourite band, my username is a play on their name (D Amon Jewel), anyhoo The Amon Duul reformed in the 80's with a strange lineup of Bob Calvert (hawkwind), Guy Evans from VdGG, and John Weinzierl from the original Amon Dull II to record Die Loesung. Mcphee is supposedly on it, as are ozric tentacles. Cant say I am familiar with the album as I tend to like the early 70's freak out stuff,as well as many reviews of the album have warned me not to expect the classic Duul sound. Must check it out though as it has a stellar prog lineup. Their is a couple of streaming tracks here on Progarchives and some more info.

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1940

Wasn't this thread about the kinks?

damonjewel wrote: »
    Wasn't this thread about the kinks?

Well you're the one who brought krautrock into it:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Honestly, I think there's really only one magazine where the staff truly know their stuff, and that's Terrorizer. They had some absolutely fantastic features about the origins of the genre, the early bands and mapping influences. Amazing read, and discovered an insane amount of bands I probably would've never heard of before.

Did you get the three-issue long special about prog? Discovered stuff I never knew existed that way, was a very worthwhile buy. And then I got broke and couldn't afford it.

Not many people would connect Genesis with straight-ahead rock, but this early effort was pretty good....

great solo from Steve Hackett, imo

This isn't too shoddy either, imo

absolutely kicked ass live

I really like that track The Knife, hadn't heard this more beefier version of it though.

It also reminds me of a tangerine dream track which is pretty rocking and way out of characther for them, unfortunately its not on youtube but here is a last fm link to it

http://www.last.fm/music/Tangerine+Dream/_/Ultima+Thule+Part+1

• Advertisement

Hey just got this today, I emailed TS to ask about this

Hi There

I am very interested in seeing Tony play and would be interested in any up and coming gigs, I will be travelling from Ireland so any european and UK dates would be great.

Also can you tell me for certain if Tony played on the Amon Duul album Die Loseung and which tracks?

Thanks

And now his response or rather from Joanna Deacon

Hi Damo

How can one simple little email cause so much consternation! After a flurry of activity, Tony somehow got hold of a copy of the album... he knows he played on it but doesn't know which tracks, the credits listing doesn't help at all... so we have listened to it now & it only sounds like Tony playing slide on Track 2 Urban Indian... he cant remember at all other than that.
    I've put your name on the newsletter listings so this will keep you updated on any dates in. Gigging again from January with 'Stray'RegardsJoanna

Joanna Deacon

Advertisement