Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Todays IT

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Ironically, the problem that Deasy is pointing to: inconsistency, is the very thing we've been complaining about for years :(

Is this a case for Superintendents to 'be careful what you wish for'?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I emailed him as a prospective voter to ask him see if he could do something to make the whole applications process more transparent and less inconsistant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Mr Deasy needs to remember he's not living in the states now and that the Irish shooter is not the same as the punk on the street corner with a bag of drugs up his a**e and an illegal mack 10 in his belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Yet again - in a very public forum, where the majority of people have no idea that there are handguns in Ireland - there is the subliminal message again that the number of legally held handguns in Ireland in some way contributes to the crime, specifically the murder, rate.

BMan

Bananaman wrote: »
    Yet again - in a very public forum, where the majority of people have no idea that there are handguns in Ireland - there is the subliminal message again that the number of legally held handguns in Ireland in some way contributes to the crime, specifically the murder, rate.

BMan

+1 B'Man. I find it infuriating that these connections are made continuously with no thought for the inherent slander on 200,000 plus citizens of the state, especially where these individuals have been through the Garda approval system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

There's an e-mail the author response at the top.

What a sh1t piece of journalism.

Vegeta wrote: »
    There's an e-mail the author response at the top.

What a sh1t piece of journalism.

To be fair to the journalists, they're merely reprinting the quotes with some editorial. If you read it carefully, the worst stuff is from Deasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,356 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The article started well, pointing out inconsistancies in laws.
    But went down hill then. A fabricated link between handgun ownership and murder rate is piss poor.
    The real problem is that the editors of these papers are familar enough with the area to properly proof read the stuff. Tabloid-esque

rrpc wrote: »
    To be fair to the journalists, they're merely reprinting the quotes with some editorial. If you read it carefully, the worst stuff is from Deasy.

Any quotes from the Gardai, any shooting organisation. Nope, I know they are just printing the statements of a clown but they didn't even try to speak to anyone else. That's just Lazy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I know this is slightly off topic but as many of you know if you have been following my dealings with the Kilkenny City Garda over a 223 application that its the Superintendent who is the bottle neck in the chain here.

New Super here now and license granted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Again,this is where the shooting organisations concerned with handguns should be out battering Deasys and IT door on this matter with some differing views...Wait doesnt the IT have the total expert on all things firearms related in Ireland working for them???A Dr Tom Clonan??.Theres your answer about the IT not having to consult the Gardai or any of us.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Love to know where Mr Deasy lived in the US???Proably Washington DC or some gun banned big city on the Left Coast.:rolleyes:

On a somwhat same issue on firearms in the IT.An intresting article on responsible trained people of the PSNI losing their firearms in supermarkets,at home and in their lockers!One shudders to think how us "mere civillians" would be treated by the powers that be were we to be so careless with our firearms!!:eek:

Back again;:rolleyes:
    Did we all miss the supplement article in the IT LISTING the most issuing and least issuing stations in the Lenister area???? Wexford 108 and Enniscorthy 33???
    WTF is this all about:eek:???Thought that information was supposedly unavailable to the general public???Am I getting the feeling that there is the start of the push to get handguns out of the public in Ireland???

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Seem's to me that Deasy is trying to make the point that he's no friend of the legitimate gun owner, and I remember speaking to his father when he was minister for fisheries and forestry and enquiring about a deer let on government land's he just fobbed me off saying that he dosen't like gun's.
    dunnosq8.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Darr

Grizzly ,
    some info from his page ( which has he last statement on HG's)

E-mail:
    John.Deasy@finegael.ie
    Birthplace:
    Abbeyside, Dungarvan
    Education:
    Colaiste na Rinne, Ring, Dungarvan; St. Augustines College, Dungarvan; BA, History/Communications: Mercyhurst College, Erie, Pennsylvania, USA; BCL, University College Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I take it we've all written to the Irish Times then?
    Madam Editor,
    I noted with interest your article on Friday about how more pistol licences are granted outside of major population centres than are granted inside them.
    However, three things were missing, all of which would set Deputy Deasy's mind - and those of his prospective supporters in the upcoming local elections - at rest.
    (1) Licencing procedures were made more strict by the 2006 changes to the Firearms Act, not less;
    (2) The Firearms Consultation Panel has seen the Gardai, Dept.of Justice, Department of Sport and the shooting community working together on these issues for nearly two years now
    (3) Pistols licences are in all liklihood more numerous outside of the cities because there aren't any public firing ranges in the cities and you need access to one to get a licence.
    I hope that that puts the deputy more at ease.

Madam Editor,
    I noted with interest your article on Friday about how more pistol licences are granted outside of major population centres than are granted inside them.
    However, three things were missing, all of which would set Deputy Deasy's mind - and those of his prospective supporters in the upcoming local elections - at rest.
    (1) Licencing procedures were made more strict by the 2006 changes to the Firearms Act, not less;
    (2) The Firearms Consultation Panel has seen the Gardai, Dept.of Justice, Department of Sport and the shooting community working together on these issues for nearly two years now
    (3) Pistols licences are in all liklihood more numerous outside of the cities because there aren't any public firing ranges in the cities and you need access to one to get a licence.
    I hope that that puts the deputy more at ease.

Sparks wrote: »

yup did it this morning.

Veg

Here are the figures the article mentions. Interesting reading.

Drat. File was too large to attach.

Here it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

To: **************
    Subject: Re: hand guns
    Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 12:41:38 +0000

Thanks for your email **** and yes I am campaigning to prevent the further liberalisation of hand gun licencing in this country. I think thats fairly clear. Its not a campaign to prevent people from holding a firearm, it is specifically to do with handguns.

Thanks again

John

Traumadoc wrote: »
    To: **************
    Subject: Re: hand guns
    Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 12:41:38 +0000

Thanks for your email **** and yes I am campaigning to prevent the further liberalisation of hand gun licencing in this country. I think thats fairly clear. Its not a campaign to prevent people from holding a firearm, it is specifically to do with handguns.

Thanks again

John

Well at least he's up front about it

R.T.E. 1 radio on about handgun's ina few minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I caught the very end of a bit on the subject on George Hook's show on Newstalk just before 5; didn't hear much of the content, but he proudly proclaimed that he "abhors all kinds of guns" at the end. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭thehair

Sparks wrote: »
    Here are the figures the article mentions. Interesting reading.

Drat. File was too large to attach.

Here it is.

Forbidden:confused:
    You don't have permission to access /Documents/Garda handgun licence figures Nov08.pdf on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
    IS THIS THE CASE NOW YOU CAN LOOK AT THIS BUT NOT THAT:eek: STEVE

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Saddlebags

marlin vs wrote: »
    R.T.E. 1 radio on about handgun's ina few minutes.

More garbage lumping honest joe in with the crims. Deasy called for a total ban. Also giving out wrong info in that he says you don't need to be a member of a club to get one and the DJ saying that the larger calibres are not used in target shooting!

Just heard him on the radio , he couldn't list one bad thing that happened with a legally held hand gun he hasn't a clue, kept on about wexford having 108 licened handguns and didn't know what percentage of calibres they were, but only want's .22 legal, the man's a clown all he's missing is the clown's hat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

thehair wrote: »
    Forbidden:confused:
    You don't have permission to access /Documents/Garda handgun licence figures Nov08.pdf on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
    IS THIS THE CASE NOW YOU CAN LOOK AT THIS BUT NOT THAT:eek: STEVE
    I'd imagine it's a server issue of some sort, I'm sure Sparks will sort it out shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Folks. We are going the same way as smokers, heavy drinkers and drug users. The PC crap is been pushed and pushed and pushed by every paper and TD. It starts by making you look bad in public eyes. Push abit more to make it look like you are a danger to everyone else (smoker-passive smoke. Drug taker-robbery. heavy drinker-violence,drunk driver) not to mention the cost of all this to the tax payer with HSE footing the bill and garda time in courts.

Firearms seem to be getting the same nibble, nibble and nibble some more to try get the general public on board before an all out ban.

Yup, ftp hiccupped. Should be fixed now.

Or maybe I'm just censoring things at random in order to change the habit of a lifetime ;)

chem wrote: »
    Folks. We are going the same way as smokers, heavy drinkers and drug users. The PC crap is been pushed and pushed and pushed by every paper and TD. It starts by making you look bad in public eyes. Push abit more to make it look like you are a danger to everyone else (smoker-passive smoke. Drug taker-robbery. heavy drinker-violence,drunk driver) not to mention the cost of all this to the tax payer with HSE footing the bill and garda time in courts.
    Firearms seem to be getting the same nibble, nibble and nibble some more to try get the general public on board before an all out ban.

Indeed. Which is why it's vitally important that we [brokenrecord] have trained, dedicated (as in, single-job, not <something else>-and-PRO) public relations officers in every club and every governing body in the sport[/brokenrecord].

Now, how many volunteers have you seen recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Yes Deasy is a clown , But he's a clown that was elected and its up to THE PEOPLE to look after that , look what happened Mc Doopey. His lot came round here, I asked a couple of blunt questions and they couldn't get away from the door quick enough!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Nice of Messers Deasy and Flannagan FG to become the public poster boys of the Irish anti handgun campain.:):rolleyes:
    It would behoove anyone who is concerned about this to maybe to mention this to Enda Kenny by all means,as FG is looking for gains in the local elections that having these two boyos going on like this isnt going to paticulary endear FG to the Irish shooting community .

He SAYS he only wants handguns banned.....Yeah...We've heard this one before!!Next a "certain type " of rifle or shotgun...You know the rest.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement