Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

St Pat's Players accused of corruption

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

No smoke without fire i'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Pity they didnt throw the game against us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

Their decline over the last few weeks has been remarkable.

Once the league was wrapped up, and 2nd place was basically in the bag, you could see why they'd be tempted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

podge018 wrote: »
    Their decline over the last few weeks has been remarkable.

Once the league was wrapped up, and 2nd place was basically in the bag, you could see why they'd be tempted.

if any player is found guilty they should get a 2 year ban from the game. its a disgrace.

muppets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

2 years? Not long enough.

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭RAFC

+1 lifetime ban - how could you ever trust a players game again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Dont deduct points i would rather Derry got into the Europa League through the Cup than the league :)

Cup winners go into the 2nd round league runners up go into the 1st round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

can the bookies involved also follow the players for the "winnings" back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

prendy wrote: »
    can the bookies involved also follow the players for the "winnings" back?

Nope...but IF the players did do this, I would be really really surprised if they actually put the bets on themselves, then again IF they are stupid enough to throw a game....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Gareth37

Hobart wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/1107/stpatricks.html

The club are 'extremly concerned' and are launching a full investigation. What a bunch of muppets, if there is any truth behind it.

I doubt the game against Galway was fixed because they played just 2 days previous, fielded a reserve side, they had nothing to play for and Galway had to win, and Galway have a good record there, won there last season too.

The game against Cobh is slightly more suspect because of the difference in class but it is possible.

What is more worrying is the number of penalties that some teams have been awarded in recent weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

RAFC wrote: »
    +1 lifetime ban - how could you ever trust a players game again?
    Lifetime ban? If they are guilty their heads should go on stakes outside Richmond Park. By the way, that's an if. There's a strong possibility here that bookies are playing games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

SectionF wrote: »
    Lifetime ban? If they are guilty their heads should go on stakes outside Richmond Park. By the way, that's an if. There's a strong possibility here that bookies are playing games.

Lets just wait for the outcomes of these "investigations" If false and like the crap about the Longford result last week I hope the clubs demand a full page apology from the bookies.

The odds they have been giving on games lately are great. Limerick at 7's Galway at 4's against Pats. Easy money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Apparently Paddy Powers have video evidence of match fixing??????? :confused:

Lifetime ban for anyone found guilty IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

gimmick wrote: »
    Apparently Paddy Powers have video evidence of match fixing??????? :confused:

Lifetime ban for anyone found guilty IMO.

A player on cctv in the bookies maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Bray vs Sligo and Shels vs Wexford from the end of last season were 'dodgy' from what i've heard

irregular amounts of money was put on Monaghan to beat Longford last week, and the Mons won 5-1

i've heard whispers about another eircom league match a few weeks back and it wasn't involving Pats

i think most people know something is going on with some matches but its too difficult to prove anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Sadlier has come across as bit of a dope in this thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

irregular amounts of money was put on Monaghan to beat Longford last week, and the Mons won 5-1
    Weren't Longford managed by their goalkeeping coach that week because the manager had to take time away? Its much more likely that Paddy Power didn't change his odds to reflect this than anything dodgey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

LoI seems to be doing great recently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

People need to get a grip here. It was posted in the bloody daily mail. After PP's bollox statement and Pats' crap form they (Philip Quinn to be exact) put 2 and 2 together, got a **** load more than four and wanked themselves over the publicity their paper would get for having "inside information". I thought Quinn seemed like a decent enough bloke on MNS but I have lost all respect for him after this story.
    Sadlier has come across as bit of a dope in this thing.
    How so?
    John_C wrote: »
    Weren't Longford managed by their goalkeeping coach that week because the manager had to take time away?

Its much more likely that Paddy Power didn't change his odds to reflect this than anything dodgey.
    Yeah, I just found that out tonight myself.

The odds from Paddy Power have always been way off, nothing new there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

http://www.stpatsfc.com/news.php?id=2720
    08/11/2008 [17:18]
    STATEMENT FROM CLUB
    St Patrick's Athletic FC is continuing to address the concerns around allegations about some of its players betting on matches in the Eircom Premier League.

It is important to stress that the club would consider any such allegations seriously as it is against FIFA and FAI regulations for any player to gamble on any match within their own league.

This is what is under investigation and there has been no suggestion whatsoever from any quarter that any player in the club was involved in anything more sinister.

The club initiated it's review yesterday and one member of the 1st Team squad has been suspended.

The club board will consider the matter on Monday and will determine the full extent of the investigation.

The club will keep the FAI informed of progress and will make no further comment at this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I've been reliably informed of a member of the pats coaching staff that backs the club to win alright, this was a couple of months ago.He gets his brother or one of the family members or somesuch to put it on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Stekelly wrote: »
    I've been reliably informed of a member of the pats coaching staff that backs the club to win alright, this was a couple of months ago.He gets his brother or one of the family members or somesuch to put it on.

There are no rules against betting on yourself to win.

In fact, it should be encouraged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

That's not match-fixing.

Des wrote: »
    There are no rules against betting on yourself to win.

In fact, it should be encouraged.

Not according to this (for players, which I assume is what were are talking about seeing as you didnt specify)
    It is important to stress that the club would consider any such allegations seriously as it is against FIFA and FAI regulations for any player to gamble on any match within their own league

Pure Cork wrote: »
    That's not match-fixing.

I never said it was, which is why I made sure to say he was bettign on the team to win.

http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/1038/
    St. Patricks Athletic have confirmed in a statement that, amid their on-going investigations a first team player has been suspended.

The statement, which was published on the clubs official website read that "The club initiated it's review yesterday and one member of the 1st Team squad has been suspended."

St.Pats also added that 'they will consider the matter on Monday and will determine the full extent of the investigation'. While the Inchicore club will keep the FAI informed on an developments.

The press release comes after yesterday's revelation that some players may have put money on themselves losing in the two games against relegation stugglers Cobh Ramblers and Galway United

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I wonder if the player played in those games as there were a lot of injuries and rested players for those games

from PFAI website

STATEMENT FROM GARY DEMPSEY

Gary Dempsey issues a statement.

I placed a 20 Euro bet on my club to lose in a double on a occassion which I was not playing and in which I had no influence on the game. I have never before or since placed a bet on my team to lose a game. The bet was infact unsuccessful as the other team involved were beaten.

I'm not aware and have never been made aware of any regulations that prohibit me from placing a bet on a match that I was not involved in. As far as I'm concerned this incident has been blown out of proportion and I am of course prepared to meet with club officials to sort this matter out.

I apologise if my actions have caused distress to my team mates or my club.

End

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Why would you place money on your own team to lose, whether you're playing in it or not. That's just stupid. It doesn't matter how much money is placed!

• Advertisement

Idiot is not the word.

And only €20.

Surely there is more to this than this bet.

Don't see any problem with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Strange how none of the stone throwers have been back :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Not according to this (for players, which I assume is what were are talking about seeing as you didnt specify)
    Quote from Stephen McGuinness:

...An opinion that PFAI secretary, Stephen McGuinness agrees with. "While placing a bet in Gary’s situation was inadvisable it was not contrary to any FAI regulation and in those circumstances, he should not be subject to any disciplinary sanction. This whole incident is a storm in a teacup” said Mc Guinness.
    http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/1041/

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Strange how none of the stone throwers have been back :rolleyes:

I wouldn't call them stone throwers, I'd call them trolls.

The mods wouldn't, and that's what's important.

Des wrote: »
    The mods wouldn't, and that's what's important.

Jesus Des, every thread?

Did TFTF steal your GF or what?

• Advertisement

Quote from Stephen McGuinness:

...An opinion that PFAI secretary, Stephen McGuinness agrees with. "While placing a bet in Gary’s situation was inadvisable it was not contrary to any FAI regulation and in those circumstances, he should not be subject to any disciplinary sanction. This whole incident is a storm in a teacup” said Mc Guinness.
    http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/1041/

The bit I quoted above seems a lot more definate. I dont see how putting €20 on your team is anything other than a direct breacf of "it is against FIFA and FAI regulations for any player to gamble on any match within their own league"

Did TFTF steal your GF or what?

lawlz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Dempsey has now admitted placing a €20 bet on Galway United to beat his side, doubled with English club Manchester City to also win.

The Tribesman did defeat Pat's 1-0 at Richmond Park, though Dempsey lost the bet as the match in England ended in defeat for City.

Ha ha that's what he gets for backing City.

Advertisement