Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

From couch to 10k..........

• 07-11-2008 9:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭

I've decided to TRY and run 10k next April and so I've signed up for the Great Ireland Run on April 6th in the Phoenix Park.

I started training this week having done no real exercise since around March or April this year (at which point I still wasn't doing much anyway)

I started on Monday with a 30 min power walk. Last night I went out for a 32 min power walk including 3 jobs 30-40 seconds each... each one was quite tough given that I haven't run since I was about 12!

I plan on walking 4k this weekend. 1k warm up and then a timed 2k followed by a 1k cool down. I'm not very good at judging distance yet so unfortunately it's going to have to be done on a treadmill.

My goal is to complete the 10k in 70-80 mins and I am also signing up for the Flora Women's Mini Marathon in June so I'll aim to be my Great Ireland Run time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Good luck Munster_Gal! Sounds like you're off to a good start anyway!

Judging by my wife's comments, there's little point in trying to beat your best time in the Flora Women's mini-marathon, as the numbers are just too great, and there are too many people walking. The Great Ireland Run is similar, though not quite as bad..

Have a look at www.mapmyrun.com, to measure out distances before or after you run them, or even consider driving the route beforehand in a car to measure it. But also, if you know what speed you run at on a treadmill, you can use time to approximate measuring your distances. So if you do 6 miles an hour on the treadmill, every 10 minutes you're out jogging would be a mile.
    Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Good on ya Munster Gal! Less of the try and more of the do! In a couple of months you'll be amazed at the progress.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Thanks for the encouragement guys. Now that I've registered and also told loads of people about it, it makes me more determined to do it so that I don't have to tell people that I pulled out ha ha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

good on you. Best of luck.

Just make sure you don't do too much too soon. April is a long way away so gradually increase your effort week on week. This will help you keep injury free.

I'd also recommend you make sure you have decent foot ware. If you are around Munster as your name suggests I'd recommend a trip to John Buckleys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Good for you putting your log up :D As road runner suggested build slowly, April is a good bit away. As someone else wise once said to me "the secret is consistancy"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

You can do it, no worries. Plenty of time to build for it and you've got exactly the right attitude so you'll amaze yourself.

Seconded on the good shoes front - I know you are Limerick based so get into Siobhon in Limerick Sports Store and get kitted out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

MCOS wrote: »
    Good for you putting your log up :D As road runner suggested build slowly, April is a good bit away. As someone else wise once said to me "the secret is consistancy"

+1 Slow build up is a must, I started off this year and did too much too soon as got injured. Slowed down my training and now I havent missed a day in 3 months.

Didn't get out this weekend at all between working and going for dinner with the family so i'll throw in an extra session during the week. I'm not too worried with missing my weekend one though as I've loads of time to build myself up but I do need to get into a routine of just getting up and going out once over the weekend (although the crap weather doesn't help! Trust me to decide in the winter to start building up for a 10k run!!!!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭Peckham

Didn't get out this weekend at all between working and going for dinner with the family so i'll throw in an extra session during the week. I'm not too worried with missing my weekend one though as I've loads of time to build myself up but I do need to get into a routine of just getting up and going out once over the weekend (although the crap weather doesn't help! Trust me to decide in the winter to start building up for a 10k run!!!!!)

First thing Saturday morning is the best way to do it. Up and out the door straight away. Get it done and over with. The longer you leave it, the harder it becomes to get motivated. It's a great feeling once it's done!

Establish the routine, it makes things much easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Lemon

Totally agree Peckham. I'm a beginner to running - have been running about 6weeks now and I find first thing in the morning is the best time to 'get it done and over with' :-)

Munster Gal, best of luck with your training. I'm doing my first ever 5k 'race' in December and it is great to have something to aim towards. I was never much use at running (or any sport for the record)- still am no great shakes but I am enjoying the training!

• Advertisement

Hi Munster Gal I'll try to be as objective as possible despite dthe damn germans having schnapps before and after a meal! Kochwürst, grünkohl und potato mit copious amounts of güt röttwein and dark chocolate and I decided to check in on you before I sleep;) Forgive the typos bitte. What I wanted to say is that last week is done whether completed or not. Now focus on the week ahead and programme that you have. Well done for getting started, its a huge step and fact that you have done something about it is great:D Now approach mit the same enthusiasm as the start of last week and get the sessions complete. Viel Glück Mike

Well I got back into training form today. I did 2 x 10 min brisk walks in and out of work today.
    I followed that up with a 32 min speed walk with 4 jogs. 3 were only 30-40 seconds and one at 1.5 mins or so. I kept going until I could feel my legs begining to get tired and then went back to walking again.
    Hoping to get back out again tomorrow.

Didn't get out today as planned but did do 2 x 10 min brisk walks in and out of work (I sometimes work in the city centre in Limerick so I park the car outside the city and walk in... unfortunately I don't get to do that every day!)
    I plan on getting out tomorrow for another 30 mins and plan on at least 4 strides during the walk.

Not a great start to this week.
    I did 2 x 1.6KM walks yesterday. (Walking from the city to thomond park and back!)
    I did them at my usual pace though so there was nothing easy about the walks.. in fact I think I may have done them slightly faster than my usual pace with the excitement of having a ticket for the match. :D

Well after doing NOTHING since November I got up off my ass and went for a 2.5 mile walk which took 40 mins due to the puppy hanging off me :(

Planning another 2 of these walks this week to help ease me back in again (minus the puppy!)

Only 13 weeks to the Great Ireland Run so I'm under a little bit of pressure to get my fitness level back up. I did manage a few jogs during my walk though.... each one lasting about 1 minute each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Well done Munster Gal, its good to hear you are back out there.

Did another 2.8 miles today.
    Walked most of it but threw in 6 jogs. 5 were at about 40 secs each. My last one was just coming to the end of the 2.8 miles and lastest about 70secs. Would have tried to keep going only I thought I was going to pass out.... Not only was I wearing 3 layers, a heavy jacket and a scarf... but I was walking into the wind too :( Not so cool!
    Only 2.2 miles more to do tomorrow to stay up to date with my training programme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

great stuff munster gal , keep up the good work

SUNGOD wrote: »
    great stuff munster gal , keep up the good work

Thanks SUNGOD

3.1 miles walked today. had the puppy with me again and he slowed me down a bit on my way back. did it in about 45 mins. I could probably reduce that to about 40 mins if I went out and did it again without the little one but I think he needs the exercise too so I'm going to keep forcing it on him until he keeps up :D

Aiming to do the same again tomorrow and maybe reduce the time a little bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Well as your puppy grows up he'll be a good running companion for you :)

I decided to go for a cycle today. Initially I was planning on 7 miles but ended up only doing around 3.5 miles instead. My legs were hanging off me when I got home. Lifting my leg up the step outside the house was an effort for sure! i figure this will help me with my running in the long run though and that the cycling will help to build my muscles as my legs aren't doing too well supporting me while trying to run at the moment :(

went for a quick 2.3 mile walk. 31mins. A one min improvement on my times on the same route previously. Haven't done that route since November so not too bad. hoping to get the same one in again tomorrow

went for a quick 2.3 mile walk. 31mins. A one min improvement on my times on the same route previously. Haven't done that route since November so not too bad. hoping to get the same one in again tomorrow

Good stuff Munster_Gal. If you go again today to do the same session, perk it up with 2*30-40 secs light jog if you can.

You have your goal set. Consistency and gradual improvement are the keys to achieving it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭RHRN

Keep up the great work Munster Gal.
    I'll be at the Great Ireland Run too (hopefully :P)

walked the same 2.3 mile route again this evening and managed to knock 1 min off last nights time coming in at 31 mins :D

I also did a 1 mile round walk to work twice this week at the same pace as my walks in the evenings. I have the same walk planned for tomorrow ... although I may try to stretch it by a bit to about 3 miles. I'll see how the legs feel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Hey,

Just wondering why you're walking and cycling as prep for a run?

How do you feel when you do go for a run?
    What did your last run consist of? (What was the distance, did you run for a minute, then walk for a min etc.)

I started trying to run at the end of December and believe me I was awful. Having to stop multiple times in short runs. But by setting little goals like "OK, this time you have to keep going until you get past that house with the big tree etc." I've built up the distances gradually.

Just think it would serve you better to just start running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

accensi0n wrote: »
    Hey,

What did your last run consist of? (What was the distance, did you run for a minute, then walk for a min etc.)

I started trying to run at the end of December and believe me I was awful. Having to stop multiple times in short runs. But by setting little goals like "OK, this time you have to keep going until you get past that house with the big tree etc." I've built up the distances gradually.

I've found that cycling has made a huge difference to my running. It allows me to train on days I'm not running but it builds strength as well.

Hey,

I'm only able to last for about a minute and a half or so per jog. It starts hurting my legs and I can't catch my breath (Although my fitness level isn't great anyway so that's a huge factor) I figure that by doing some cycling it'll help to build some of the muscles in my legs and help me out a bit with the running.... and besides.. all exercise is good exercise!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭accensi0n

I'm only able to last for about a minute and a half or so per jog. It starts hurting my legs and I can't catch my breath (Although my fitness level isn't great anyway so that's a huge factor) I figure that by doing some cycling it'll help to build some of the muscles in my legs and help me out a bit with the running.... and besides.. all exercise is good exercise!

I guess that's cool if you want to just get fitter in general.

Just thought since you are training specifically for a 10K run it might be more effective to get running. Even if it means; run for a minute, walk for 30 seconds, run for a minute, etc.

I guess that's cool if you want to just get fitter in general.

Just thought since you are training specifically for a 10K run it might be more effective to get running. Even if it means; run for a minute, walk for 30 seconds, run for a minute, etc.

Well my main aim for the 10K is just to finish it. I'm aiming to get it finished in less than 80mins. I'll be doing the women's mini marathon on June so for that I'll just aim to break what ever time I set in the Great Ireland Run

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭papamike

Hey Munster Gal, Keep up the good work.

My wife was in the same boat last summer and started out with a couch to 5k training plan and found it very good. A quick Google search should get some plans for you. They start out with mainly walking, alternating with 60sec jogs, building it up over a few weeks until you are running more than walking.

Unfortunately she got slightly injured and had to rest up but she is back running again and has signed up for the Bupa 10k, told all her family and friends so she can't not do it now!!! She is doing well and ran 2 miles for the first time on Sunday Its all about sticking with it...Best of luck

THanks Papamike!

I'm not expecting miracles over the next few weeks but to be able to meet the target of 80mins would be great

Did a 3 mile walk today. Not at my usual pace though as I was with my mother but did 3 miles in 46 mins. Reckon I could knock 10 mins off it on my own though :D

2.3 mile walk with mam again today in 36 mins (5 mins slower than my last 2.3 mile walk :( ) Might have to leave my mother behind and start walking again at my usual pace. Have another walk planned for tomorrow evening. Planning the 3 miles this time though! Also walking .5 of a mile to and from work (refusing to pay €75 per month for parking!!) So I've included this in my mileage as well as I'm walking it at my normal pace. Think I'm doing .5 to work in about 6 mins which isn't too bad.
    Also planning on doing a 10k on Saturday and timing it....... Thinking of doing this once a week and trying to improve on my time and maybe start bringing in the jogging as well more often.
    Only 7.5 weeks to go to the Great Ireland Run... still have alot of work to out in... damn the puppy and my mother holding up my walking ha ha:D

• Advertisement

5.5 miles done today in 1hr 17mins. I was actually going for 6.2 miles but I'd managed to miscalculate the route before I went. Did a little bit of jogging at the start but my legs got a bit tired so continued on a fast walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

Keep up the good work :D
    I've just started the Daniels plan (similar to couch to 10k)
    Thinking of starting a log myself, then I'll have no excuse to miss a run! lol
    Well done!!!

My legs were a little bit stiff after the 5.5 miles yesterday so only managed 2.3 miles today with my mother.

Also just noticed that I missed out on logging a 3 mile walk on 12th February!! I'm so busy logging my miles on the 1000 mile challenge that I'm forgetting about my training log :pac:

2.3 miles walked easy with my mother. took about 35 mins.
    Plan on doing another 5.5 to 6.2 mile walk next week and hopefully something over the weekend too

7th March 2009

Haven't done any training for the last week as I've been sick and a bit run down so just taking it easy. Thank god I have a week off work Paddy's week so I'll get some longer walks and jogs in so I should be fine for the Great Ireland Run and need to put in some more serious training for the Women's Mini Marathon in June.
    ALso have to start making up the mileage for the Challenge as well..... Stuck at 50 miles at the moment.

http://www.giversign.com/gs/s/ec/795cc52279a70409

• Advertisement

19th March 09

Well I haven't done anything since the beginning of the month due to being sick and just generally tired. Due to personal circumstances I'm pulling out of the Plassey 10k and the Bupa Great Ireland Run. Maybe when I get myself up and about again I'll be able to start running up a bit of mileage but don't have the will to eat at the moment let alone try to run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭tantipie

19th March 09

Well I haven't done anything since the beginning of the month due to being sick and just generally tired. Due to personal circumstances I'm pulling out of the Plassey 10k and the Bupa Great Ireland Run. Maybe when I get myself up and about again I'll be able to start running up a bit of mileage but don't have the will to eat at the moment let alone try to run.
    hey,,hope your ok,,

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

Aww, sorry to hear, hope you feel better soon. I had to take 3 months off excersise over the winter. Getting back to health is the most imporant & take as much time off as you need :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Hey MunsterGal, hope you are ok. Concentrate on getting better and take your time- you will eventually come back stronger.

Back to doing some brisk walking to and from work over the last couple of days. When I get myself sorted again might start walking in the evenings again next week. Still going ahead with the Women's Mini Marathon in June so need to get some training if for that also.

Just another two miles worked up walking in and out of the city to my car. Hoping that the weather starts to clear up a bit next week so I can start walking up another bit of mileage

Still just walking in and out of work at the moment. Was hoping to get out yesterday evening but had to work later than I'd intended. Finished at 4.30 today so hopefully i'll fit in at least 2.5 miles after work.

Another 2.5 miles worked up. I'm parking the car slightly further away to get more of a walk in. Definatley starting back walking in the evenings from Monday.

I'm parking the car slightly further away to get more of a walk in..

Now thats the spirit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭hubbabubba09

hi lads,
    first post here!
    I.m fairly fit but new to jogging,I can jog for 2 mins and then walk for 1 min,this I can do for 30 mins.(wrecked after it)(and I smoke)
    Now Im thinking of jogging the mini marathon in June have I left it to late to start my training?
    please help any advice would be great,
    ye guys are an inspiration.
    bubbles.xx

• Advertisement
Advertisement