Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

From couch to 10k..........

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Another 1.5 miles to add for today :)

2 miles done so far this morning. Planning on another 2.5 after work today assuming that the rain holds off.
    Disappointed that I didn't do the Great Ireland Run yesterday but with my state of mind at the moment I don't think I would have managed it.
    Just need to get focused now and aim for a decent enough 10k in June. I have no time in mind for it yet though as I'm still not sure if I am planning to run it. I'll see how my walking goes this week.

Another 3 miles to add to my mileage this week. Still not hitting the miles that I want though. :( I have a 4 day weekend this weekend so I'll just have to make sure that I make the most of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Shinbreaker

2 years ago I planned on running the Bupa 10km, I ended up walking it due to serious lack of training, it took me 90 minutes. Last year I didn't enter as I had just had my second baby! Anyway this year I trained and I ran the whole 10km in 64 minutes. It was a great buzz. I started training last Summer 'Couch Potato to 5km'. I found it really good. Within 2 months I could run 5km not very fast but I could run it. I didn't run over the winter and started back in February training for the Bupa, having a goal like the Bupa or mini marathon really helps. Also the fact that I had told my husband and all my friends i was doing it was great motivation!;)

2 years ago I planned on running the Bupa 10km, I ended up walking it due to serious lack of training, it took me 90 minutes. Last year I didn't enter as I had just had my second baby! Anyway this year I trained and I ran the whole 10km in 64 minutes. It was a great buzz. I started training last Summer 'Couch Potato to 5km'. I found it really good. Within 2 months I could run 5km not very fast but I could run it. I didn't run over the winter and started back in February training for the Bupa, having a goal like the Bupa or mini marathon really helps. Also the fact that I had told my husband and all my friends i was doing it was great motivation!;)

My main goal has now switched from the Mini Marathon in June to the Dublin Marathon in October. I have my new running shoes and tops ready, watch with HRM, and a training book on order. Starting Monday I'll focus on the Marathon training and hopefully the 10k will fall into place with this. I know I can walk 10k so with the marathon training I'll hopefully be able to jog some of it.Been quite lazy this weekend chilling out with my sister and nieces and with tomorrows Heineken Cup quarter final taking place all my attention will be focused on shouting at the TV making sure that we make it through to the semi's (my tickets for Edinburgh will seem like a bit of a waste if I won't be following the Red Army there!)I'm going to try out one of Hal Higdons 10k plans until I receive my book and then start the marathon training. I haven't decided on a target time for the DM yet. I'll wait and see how I get on in the Mini Marathon in June first (aiming for 70mins or less!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭tantipie

you'll be on your own dear if you trying for 70 mins,,lol:pwait for me,,,:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

You should both be fine for 70 minutes anyway, an 11 minute mile would have you coming across the line in 68 minutes and I'm sure both of you can do that... or will by race day ;)

3 mile brisk walk with my sister. First time out walking with her.Have to say. Well impressed with my new Asics Gel 1130's (reduced to 49euro in Elvery's :D ) very soft to walk on. Can't wait to start jogging in them.Tantipie - We'll totally have it done in 70 mins :D think positive!!!!

4 miles done up this week just walking in and out of work. Been feeling quite ill so haven't gotten anything else done. Gonna have to force it out though next week. only 6.5 weeks to the mini marathon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

cant believe its only 6.5weeks to mini marathon , no time at all !

I know :eek: It's after coming up so quickly!!!!

Received my marathon training book in the post today. My training starts tomorrow with a 5 min jog 5 min fast walk for a total of 30mins. (might try and stretch it a bit longer than 30 mins)
    Following the pre marathon plan for 4 weeks until I build it up to a 30 min jog.
    Can't wait to get started. :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

Received my marathon training book in the post today. My training starts tomorrow with a 5 min jog 5 min fast walk for a total of 30mins. (might try and stretch it a bit longer than 30 mins)
    Following the pre marathon plan for 4 weeks until I build it up to a 30 min jog.
    Can't wait to get started. :D:D:D
    Yay thats great news! Good luck :D

3 miles done this morning. Took 30 mins (woo hoo) walked most of it but managed to jog for 5 mins and then 3 mins (think thats more than what i have done in the past :D)

Going to walk another couple of miles now into the city centre and back again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Congrats and best of luck.

• Advertisement

well done mg,,wont be long now and we'll be over the finish line;)

Another 4 miles done walking in and out of the city centre. Poor legs are feeling it a bit but highest mileage done in a day so far :)

2 miles walking done in and out of work. I'll be out this evening training again (legs have only just recovered from the 7 miles on Saturday!!!)

3 miles done. took about 29 mins. jogged about 8 mins of the 29. Legs were feeling a bit rough. Still not used to the hills around the parents house.

2 miles done again in and out of work. Should be out after work for at least 3 miles again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

good consistency lately. keep up the good work!

Well this week has been a total write off. first the constant rain, then the extra hours that I've had to put in at work (12 hours shifts :( ) and now I have a throat infection. I can't win.
    4 Weeks to go to the mini marathon and I haven't been able to do the training I wanted to do. Fingers crossed the the throat infection clears quickly so I can put in the work next week :(

well my training gone out the window also,,so we def. going to hobble over the finish:P

Well work is slowly taking over my life at the moment. Huge contract in work and working all hours to recruit people for it!

One mile done today (just walking though) Only 4 weeks to the Mini Marathon and I've not put in half the work I had hoped (Tantipie you're gonna have to go slow so I can keep up ha ha!) Hoping the I get out of work at a reasonable hour so I can get 3 or 4 miles done!

Another measly mile today :( pouring from the heaven's out there and only just home from work :(

I calculated my mileage wrong last week and so I have another 2 miles clocked up. I have another 3 miles so far this week. Work is starting to get quiet again and I seem to be back to full health so I should be back out training tomorrow.

It's less than 3 weeks to the Women's Mini Marathon.... So not where I thought I'd be with my training :(

3 more miles done.
    Treadmill is on order so should have that within two weeks to start my marathon training properly (no excuses if the treadmill is in the house lol) Just need to sort out my ole diet now so that I can be a nice slim siz 8/10 for my brothers wedding in Poland in September (Bikini's at the ready :D and hoping it will be a well deserved week off if when my training for the summer goes to plan!)

1.5 miles to add. Treadmill is being delivered on Tuesday so I'll defo be clocking up more mileage from then. A little over 2 weeks now to the mini marathon! Still have the goal of 70mins in mind (shhhh don't tell Tantipie.....)

am hello,,70 mins,,lmao.keep hold of an ambulance for me:D

Well I finally got my treadmill :D:D:D

I have 2 miles clocked up this week from walking in and out of work as usual and jst took my treadmill for a test run :D

I pushed it for the first 10 mins cover 1 mile :D Delighted with myself.
    Over 30 mins I managed 2.7 miles (there was no way I was going to keep up the same pace for the whole lot of it!!!) and I managed to run for about 15 of the 30 mins overall (8 of those being in the first 12mins!!)

Delighted to have the treadmill especially with the weather being as crap as it is!

• Advertisement

:mad::mad::mad::mad::p

tantipie wrote: »
    :mad::mad::mad::mad::p
    :D:D:D:D Jealousy gets you know where misses lol!!!

2.5 miles covered on the treadmill this evening. 5 mins fast walk 5mins jog x3 - 30 mins total. :D

Feel great after it. Not as wrecked as I thought I'd be and legs are feeling good. Following the pre marathon training in the non-runner's marathon training book. Need to do this twice more this week to be on target. Felt like I could have kept the jog up for about 7 mins but didn't want to push too far too soon. :rolleyes:

Another 1 mile walked to and from work again today so 3.5 miles done today :D

2.7 miles covered in my 30 mins today. 5 min walk and 5 min jog again. Harder than last night :( (the ole legs aren't used to doing 3 nights in a row lol :D)

1 mile to and from work walking done as well. so 3.7 miles done in total today :D:D:D

I took yesterday as a rest day. My legs felt ok but a little tired so didn't want to overdo it. Currently waiting for my BLT with Cheese to digest properly before jumping on the treadmill again. :D
    Surprised at how guilty i felt last night for not doing any training ( I could hear the treadmill taunting me from the room next door while I was eating a slice of pizza!!)

9 Days to go now until the Mini Marathon (Tantipie is still fighting the 70min target :D) I only have 3 sessions next week going by my training plan but I'll probably try and fit in an extra one or two to make up for lost time :cool:

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

2.9 miles done in 30 mins and I jogged for 19mins (13 of these were consecutive :D )

Recovery time was good again today. Should be well able for week two of my plan. hoping to get in another session tomorrow before I start week two though

3.1 miles in 30 mins. Ran about 20 mins again. Very happy with todays session (half way to the full 10K :D lol)
    Recovery time pretty good again today and no aching in my legs so doing pretty well overall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Well done Munster Gal you really are coming along very well now.

• Advertisement

Thanks Bally8 - really happy with my progress this week. Hopefully I can keep it going now next week :rolleyes:

3 miles covered in 30 mins today. 5 min walk, 10 min jog, 5 min walk, 10 min jog. Found it tough enough today. :rolleyes: Legs are a bit tired but didn't want to give in.

Have two more of the same session to cover this week but will probably squeeze in two extra ones as I won't be training Sunday (plan to be too hungover :D ) and I have the mini marathon on Monday so don't wanna go the full weekend without doing anything.

So overall have 5 sessions planned for this week. :D

Also have one mile to add for walking in and out of work today.

Oh ya.... mile done to work and back again as well

3miles done in 30 mins again. Found this really really tough tonight. Did 5min walk and 10 min jog 5 min walk and then was supposed to do a 10 min jog but ended up doing 5 mins 2 walk and then really pushed it for the last 3 mins to cover the 3 miles.

Legs feel fine but breathing was difficult towards the end. Didn't drink as much water today as I should have so I'm wondering if that would have had an effect :confused:

Disappointed with my session overall. Felt that I should have been able to hold the last 10 mins :(

hey munster gal , heard you got a boards singlet too , will you be wearin it mini marathon day ?

Hey Seres
    I wasn't going to. I'm not quite there with the running yet and didn't think it would feel right to wear an Athletics Club Singlet while walking :rolleyes:

go for it , i dont want to be the only one in 40000 people wearing the singlet , sure you might get your photo taken and put up on the website :D just start running if you see someone takin a pic

• Advertisement

Jesus there'll be no photo taking of me all red faced and sweaty I tell ya lol!
    Sure I might bring it with me so for the craic. Just feel that I should be running before I start to wear it really........

Jesus there'll be no photo taking of me all red faced and sweaty I tell ya lol!
    Sure I might bring it with me so for the craic. Just feel that I should be running before I start to wear it really........
    i tell ya ive had worse photos taken of me at the end of a night than can match the head on me after/during a run, when you planning your debut display if not monday ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Do either of you lovely ladies want to let me know how the singlets fit? I'm just curious as to what size would best suit a top-heavy size 14 lady :):pac:

I'm a size 10 on top and it fits snug but not too snug.

Was planning the debut for the Dublin Marathon. Should have enough training done by then to be able to run and maybe pretend to pass as an Athlete lol:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Ah no, go for it on Monday, it's always nice to meet a fellow boardsie, and this is the best way to recognise them...

I met krusty clown about 3/4 way into Wexford Half just because I noticed the singlet... :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement