Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is my driving giving me flat tyres

Options
  • 07-11-2008 10:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭

I have had 2 flat tyres in the lst month.
    Now I do occasionally drive in the hard shoulder before the Leixlip exit on the N4 (not this morning though).

I drive a nissan micra 00.

Any ideas what is causing me to get flat tyres.

MM

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I presume that you mean M4 as with the current upgrade works the N4 has no hard shoulder! What are you doing driving in the hard shoulder anyway? Apart from it being ignorant, you could earn penalty points!

ANyhow, hard shoulders often contain debris which could cause punctures. However, we don't know what kind of puncture you had (nail in tyre or ripped sidewall) but I would guess that its possibly from the HS.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,983 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Many people use that H/S to skip having to queue for the Leixlip turnoff (tailbacks from Newcastle lights). Hopefully those days are over now.

The surface there is rougher (on purpose) but it shouldn't be too debris-laden due to the fact that huge numbers of people drive in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

The average person gets a flat tyre every 7 years.

I always stick to the racing line when driving ,unused parts of the road are full of debris.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

So your one of the planks that us the hard shoulder every morning!!!

Yeah, you probably are getting punctures from driving in the hard shoulder, serves you right. No need to ever, never mind any more. Road is clear up to the new bridge.

And yes I am having a very bad morning.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've found that punctures (and headlight bulb failures) are a bit like buses .. you don't see one for absolutely ages, and then when you do they all arrive at once.

• Advertisement

joeperry wrote: »
    I always stick to the racing line when driving ,unused parts of the road are full of debris.
    The racing line would not be a commonly used line on a road! It would also involve you using the entire road and on right hand turns you would need to be on the extreme right side when at the apex. Do you really drive like this or are you talking rubbish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

You are getting psychic tyre damage from the people using the actual road.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

Might be time for new tyres, i always find that punctures always happen when the tyres are near time for changing and rarely notice a flat on a new tyres.

Not sure if there is any logic behind that, but it is what i noticed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Any ideas what is causing me to get flat tyres.
    What's actually causing them - it's usually obvious. Nails / stones / bits of metal etc...

It could be a bad repair job and the same plug keeps failing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

It's more than likely caused by incorrectly inflated tyres not able to withstand sharp objects, when was the last time you checked the tyre pressure?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Mine three punctures (within three weeks) were caused by debris outside the normal road - I had to stop the car to answer one emeregency phone call, making U-turn on the dead-end road and parking close to curb.
    And yes, all drivers you overtake when driving on hard shoulder wish you the punctures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭DirtyOilBurner

Probly your fat ass more so than your driving! :D

Probly your fat ass more so than your driving! :D
    :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Advertisement