Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coeliac & Lactose Intolerant + No Sugar

• 07-11-2008 11:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. I don't know if I should post this here or in Cooking & Recipes but sure...I am looking for dessert ideas for a person who cannot eat gluten, dairy or refined sugar (she can have honey, mollasses or maple syrup).

She is staying for a few days and we are having a couple of group meals - one on Saturday night and one on Sunday afternoon and she is kind of the "guest of honour" so I need some help.

I have starters and main courses sorted, but I have no ideas for dessert. All I can come up with is fresh fruit and soy yoghurt, and even that contains sugar and is more like a breakfast than a dessert.

I have never baked using gluten free flours and syrups (and without dairy) and I don't have time to do a trial-run.

Do you have any tried and tested recipes for gluten free, sugar free, dairy-free desserts?

I don't want much, do I? :)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

That's a tough one... but here are 3 recipes:

http://gluten-dairy-sugarfree.com/?cat=131

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Thanks taconnol. I would like some tried and tested recipes though. Have you ever made any of those?

They all look good, but the only one that looks as though getting the ingredients would be simple is the plum tart. I might go for that - but where can I get fresh dates?? I wonder would dried dates work ok?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Nope, afraid I only have experience of doing dairy-free desserts for the boyfriend.

I'm guessing a fruit-based dessert is your best choice - maybe something like poached pears, using maple syrup instead of sugar?I have seen tarts that have been made with an almond crust, ie ground up almonds with some vegan margarine and then you could add a fruit-filling, such as some apples stewed with a bit of syrup?

There are a few dairy-free recipes on www.theppk.com. They would have sugar, but maybe this can be replaced by maple syrup? Can I ask why she can eat maple syrup but not refined sugar?

Wait-can she eat rice? If so, you could consider doing a rice pudding with a stewed fruit topping - stew the fruit with some maple syrup for sweetness. Plums or pears would be great and they're in season now.

She has a range of allergies, intolerances and the auto-immune problem of coeliac...she can tolerate unrefined sugar in small amounts (ketchup, for example) but not in cakes or biscuits. She can have unrefined sugars like sugars from fruit or natural syrups (she couldn't have golden syrup or anything manufactured like that but maple is ok because it is just sap that's been boiled down).

The rice pudding is an absolutely brilliant one. Baked rice pudding made with soy milk and fruit sounds great. Thank you!

• Advertisement

Ok if you want any more ideas, I have a book here called "Carb Conscious Vegetarian" (a by-product of my carb-addition/sensitivity and veggie boyf..:)) And there's quite a few recipes here that fit the bill like:

Walnut and currant-stuffed baked apples
    Two-berry pie with pecan-sunflower crust
    Vanilla-scented poached pears dipped in chocolate (hello, I have not seen you before)

Thanks for that, I might go back to you when she visits again!

The first night we had baked cinnamon pears with some soy yoghurt, and yesterday we had a baked rice pudding made with rice milk, pudding rice, marg, a little brown sugar, raisins and nutmeg. It was absolutely delicious. So thanks!

Advertisement