Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Deposit Schemes

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 HollyCat

What happens in 18 months if you cant get a mortgage? If the rent paid equates to a 10% deposit you'll need a 90% mortgage which dispite banks advertising are rare as hens teeth.
    If you contract to buy for €200,000 but in 18 months the bank value it at €160,000 (because prices continue to fall) they will then, assuming you can get a 90% mortgage, advance a maximum of €144,000. You'll need €46,000 to close the sale of which you've paid €20,000 (rent paid calculated for 10% deposit on €200,000) so you'll have a shortfall of €26,000 - What happens if you can't raise this €26,000? The answer given
    What if I can’t get a mortgage in a 18 months time?
    If you wish to extend the option for a further period, we will look at the situation then. We will take advice from financial advisers about your situation and work with you if you have a realistic chance of getting a mortgage in a reasonable time period.
    This is a bit wishy washy - Does any one know if there is anything in the contract which gives a more definitive answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭tesslab

Im getting more & more interested in these schemes. If you were to find the "perfect place" and intended on living there for the future would it be worth your while? No doubt these schemes will be cropping up all over the country in the coming months.
    If at the end of the rental I had 25k savings myself to add on to the money received back from the scheme would it make much of a difference in getting a mortgage? As it stands without extra savings chances of getting a mortgage would be pretty difficult.
    Any advice welcome.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

tesslab wrote: »
    Im getting more & more interested in these schemes. If you were to find the "perfect place" and intended on living there for the future would it be worth your while? No doubt these schemes will be cropping up all over the country in the coming months.
    If at the end of the rental I had 25k savings myself to add on to the money received back from the scheme would it make much of a difference in getting a mortgage? As it stands without extra savings chances of getting a mortgage would be pretty difficult.
    Any advice welcome.

Unless you do find somewhere that you can see yourself happy to live in longterm (20+ years) steer clear. Most of the schemes this is in place are either at unrealistic prices, or will be wholly unsaleable and have little resale value in the future.

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭MsMolly

jobless wrote: »
    these schemes are a last resort for the developer to shift his housing stock at todays prices... The prices for these house will be a lot less in 18 months time...
    The 20 grand or so you paid in 18 months time wont look so so good when the properties are 40 k cheaper and your stuck with the price you agree today... the rent you pay is more or less going towards paying off SOME of the negative equity you'll be in

every scheme is different and gives different incentives. the one i 've taken up has a builders guarantee and neg equity guarantee. i will only pay what the house is worth when i buy it in 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

MsMolly wrote: »
    every scheme is different and gives different incentives. the one i 've taken up has a builders guarantee and neg equity guarantee. i will only pay what the house is worth when i buy it in 18 months.

Where is it???

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

i will only pay what the house is worth when i buy it in 18 months.

That is the knux of the problem. Most of these schemes have a proviso that none of the units can be sold on the open market until such time as the developer has offloaded their units. Accordingly it is a reasonable expectation that an open-market-valuation will not have been established- meaning the 'value' of the property will be determined by the developer to be whatever the last price he sold a unit for was (irrespective of when this was).

Be very careful- and read everything they are saying backwards, often there is more in what is not actually said, than in the details they do give.

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

who decides what the house is worth in 18 months time?

How will they do it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 domibox

Does anybody know anything about rent to buys schemes in Dublin?I am looking for the apartment- 2 bed in Dublin 18.

Advertisement