Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice on Trading in

Options
  • 07-11-2008 12:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭

Ok,

I have a 06 Seat Leon 1.6 Stylance with the Sport Up pack (basically 17" alloys, sport seats and suspension) with 59k km up on it. I'm doing a lot more mileage than expected when I bought the car at the start of the year do need to get something more economical. Its a completely imaculate car with every extra. Looking at a 2006 Focus 1.8 tdci Ghia with nice few extras thats up for €16950.

How bad do ye think the price to change will be? Any advice on how to play this one?

Link to car is here:
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/200840190267794/advert

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

the leon is quite economical though? i think its 45 mpg on rural trips...

you would want to be doing a lot of driving to feel the advantages after what you pay to change. there are a few nice treats in that Ghia however there is no comparison with the leon on style.

ps if your selling your leon can i have your armrest? €150? :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,455 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

EPM wrote: »
    How bad do ye think the price to change will be?

Very bad.
    Any advice on how to play this one?

What's your mileage now? Unless it is very high, it might be cheaper to stick with your current car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

the leon is quite economical though? i think its 45 mpg on rural trips...

you would want to be doing a lot of driving to feel the advantages after what you pay to change. there are a few nice treats in that Ghia however there is no comparison with the leon on style.

ps if your selling your leon can i have your armrest? €150? :D:D

Rural is fine...motorway at 120-140 results in 32-34 mpg on a long spin and i don't drive it hard!

On the armrest, go to SEREMOTORS. you'll find him on seatcupra.net. You'd have one delivered for less than that from him. Only ordered mats from him the other day for the Leon!

unkel wrote: »
    Very bad.

What's your mileage now? Unless it is very high, it might be cheaper to stick with your current car.

Well, I bought my current car in Feb with 30k km on it and now Its 59k. Doing anywhere between 800-1000km a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

Rural is fine...motorway at 120-140 results in 32-34 mpg on a long spin and i don't drive it hard!

Thats really bad, thats worse than i'd get at motorway speeds in my 2.8 petrol with 6 cylinders.

Maybe its the way your driving it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Can I make a suggestion. I just did a quick look at Motorpoint.co.uk. You can pick up a low mileage 2008 1.8 TDCi Titanium (all the toys, low annual tax) landed here for €16400. Need I say more? Beg, borrow, steal the money and sell your SEAT privately. You'd be mad not to.

joeperry wrote: »
    Thats really bad, thats worse than i'd get at motorway speeds in my 2.8 petrol with 6 cylinders.

Maybe its the way your driving it?

I really dont think so. Nice easy accelleration, drive in as high a gear as efficiently possible, car serviced by the book, no unnecessary weight (bar the gut), minimising use of the air con doesn't help. Air pressures bang on, no difference between using the cruise and not really............

Its pulling about 4k rpm at 140 kph, 3.5 ish at 120. A lot is down to the low gearing. No fancy vvti stuff with the old 8v 1.6 thats for sure!!

Can I make a suggestion. I just did a quick look at Motorpoint.co.uk. You can pick up a low mileage 2008 1.8 TDCi Titanium (all the toys, low annual tax) landed here for €16400. Need I say more? Beg, borrow, steal the money and sell your SEAT privately. You'd be mad not to.

I did try to sell during the summer (at a very low price too) but no luck. If I could i'd have an Accord from the UK like a shot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

Try and keep it between 100-120. ive heard it makes a big difference to the wind resistance, if i drive like that myself i see about 38-39 mpg.

Won't add to much time to your journey. how many miles are you doing?

800-1000km a week. I said i'd have a look anyway and get a price. no harm in that i suppose. Plan on keeping the car for 3-4 years anyway. Mileage wont always be this high but i usually average about 15-18k miles a year anyway

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

A BMW dealer told me last week that he has a guy in trading using an 08 Passat TDi, bought in January for €32K. He is giving him €18.5K on a trade in......:eek: He said he has to trade it for whatever reason, but that is shocking.

Ouch!! If it doesnt make financial sense to me its a no go. I've no problem staying with what i have if the price is too steep as i really like the Leon. I'll let ye know what kinda price they say. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

To be honest with the way things are with the second hand market at the moment I cannot see any dealer finding the idea of taking a 06 1.6 petrol car in against a 06 1.6 diesel car appealing.

BTW I think asking €16,950 for a 06 Focus TDCi is expensive. I have a 05 1.6 TDCi Ghia with average mileage and I was only being allowed between €11,500 and €12k for it against much more expensive cars back in May or June. God only knows how little it is worth now but I'm not bothered as I am keeping it.

The market is swamped with used Foci and people will not pay a whole lot more over the standard model for the diesel or Ghia models.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,455 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I did try to sell during the summer (at a very low price too) but no luck.

You've answered your own question there ;)

As for trying to save money on fuel, do as joeperry says. Driving economically around 100km/h on motorways would lift your mileage to the high 40s at least

• Registered Users Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

If you see my thread last week, i got offered 9500 for my 06 focus 1.4 zetec against a new kia pro ceed so i can only say bend over and be prepared!!!

thanks for all the replies lads.i know i'm in a bad spot for changing.spoke to him today.6k with my own and no bargaining.thats out the window.was only trying to see what the story would be.wasn't mad about the engine after the test drive either.the 1.6 tdci is much sweeter.i know slowing it down will help a lot.i usually do this but family issues at the moment have me running all over the place at the mo!

Advertisement