Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 iPhone Tarriff - 'roaming' in the UK

• 07-11-2008 12:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭

A few months ago I got an iphone with O2 (on an upgrade) and decided before going to the UK that I'd better call O2 CC to make sure that my roaming was active seen as I had to sign up to an iPhone tarrif. The guy told me that roaming was active on my account but that he would have to set up my account to ensure that I don't get additional charges for calls/texts while on O2 UK - I know I had this on my previous tarriff but it seemed to be deactivated when I changed tarriffs. I then asked him if I use data while on the O2 UK n/w would I be charged for this - he said no as long as I don't use too much! I presumed he meant not to go over the 1Gb limit we are given by O2 Ireland but he could not give me a definite answer! Anyone on an Irish iPhone tarriff been in the UK and gotten charged for calls/texts/data?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭johnson1

calls and texts will be charged as they are in the republic of ireland as long as you are on o2 uk but you will be charged seperate for data and it is not cheap anything from €10-€14 per mb. http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Explore+Services/Services/Travelling+Abroad/Tariff+Information/United+Kingdom/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭Barty

Johnson1 - thanks for the quick response. I decided to call O2 CC again and indeed it's €4.95 per MB when roaming on the UK O2 n/w. The guy I spoke to before in O2 didn't sound definite about the data roaming. Just awell I didn't really trust him - I would not like to have seen my bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Can you pick up a cheap data package on a UK sim and use that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

BostonB wrote: »
    Can you pick up a cheap data package on a UK sim and use that?

Not in an iPhone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

doh forgot, about the unlocking. What a pain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭jimmychin

can someone clarify re: o2.ie iphone contract...

if i'm in the uk and on the o2 network

can i use my included free minutes + texts

i know data is not included but afaik my 175 free minutes per month can be used to make calls to uk/irish mobiles/landlines when in the uk ?

jimmychin wrote: »

i know data is not included but afaik my 175 free minutes per month can be used to make calls to uk/irish mobiles/landlines when in the uk ?

Calls, probably, yes, but I doubt very much if SMS-MO is included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Barty wrote: »
    Johnson1 - thanks for the quick response. I decided to call O2 CC again and indeed it's €4.95 per MB when roaming on the UK O2 n/w. The guy I spoke to before in O2 didn't sound definite about the data roaming. Just awell I didn't really trust him - I would not like to have seen my bill.

Please report this wrong information you were given to O2. The agent will know for next time then and someone else won't get the same incorrect information.
    culabula wrote: »
    Calls, probably, yes, but I doubt very much if SMS-MO is included.

SMS isn't included. It's standard roaming SMS charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

jimmychin wrote: »

You can use your minutes as long as you're on o2 when roaming in the UK.

Questions regarding data and the coast from o2. I have had a few problems here and have now spoken to o2 six times and each time I've recieved a different answer:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭Barty

I was told by both (I know the first person was incorrect about the data) that you are not charged for minutes or texts, as long as they are part of your monthly 'bundle'. I guess I'll find out when I get my bill. I have already discussed it with a CC person and even though I didn't know the name of the person I spoke with initially they said they would be able to go back and find out who it was (not sure how true this is but all I can do is take their word for it!)

jimmychin - you must call O2 CC and ask for this to be activated on your account and you must be on O2 UK.

• Advertisement

Barty wrote: »
    I was told by both (I know the first person was incorrect about the data) that you are not charged for minutes or texts, as long as they are part of your monthly 'bundle'. I guess I'll find out when I get my bill. I have already discussed it with a CC person and even though I didn't know the name of the person I spoke with initially they said they would be able to go back and find out who it was (not sure how true this is but all I can do is take their word for it!)

jimmychin - you must call O2 CC and ask for this to be activated on your account and you must be on O2 UK.

Why not send an SMS and check your account online some time afterwards where you will see whether you are being charged or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

culabula wrote: »
    Why not send an SMS and check your account online some time afterwards where you will see whether you are being charged or not?

Billing system is a few hours behind and roaming charges might not appear until the following day/s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

On UK Roaming plan, only minutes to Irish numbers come out of your minutes (while on O2 UK). Free to receive calls. Data and text charged as per roaming partner.

Advertisement