Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to stop 'free newspaper' deliveries?

Options
  • 07-11-2008 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

following the various advertiser threads, I have a quick question - how do I prevent all those annoying free papers from being delivered to my house?

I'm sick of all the paper, since we don't have a paper bin, just refuse sacks and these fill fairly quickly. There's no 'old paper and cardboard' collection containers in this city (why, by the way?) and obviously I don't want to load my neighbour's bin with my newspaper waste. :P

Any ideas how to stop them? Would a note on the door help? Or ringing them up?

Cheers
    galah

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 deepee

I would say formally notify them by email...and your reasons. They seem very reasonable reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

yes. I didn't mention that I don't read the newspapers either cause they're mostly sh..te :D

And cheers, will try that. ;-)

Interesting, the Galway Advertiser 'Contact' page does not work.
    Will have to ring them so...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I wonder, would it be ok to gather the papers they deliver along with all your own recycling (bottles, cans etc) and dump everything on the doorstep of the Galway Advertiser offices?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

A sign on the door "No free newspapers please" should do the trick I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭renmorescout

I sent an email to each of the free papers and then put a small sticker on the letterbox, saying "No free newspapers or leaflets" It works for 90% of the time. Some one dropped some leaflets in last week, and I was just inside the door, so I opened the door and asked yer man " Can you not Read?" It turned out he could'nt, not english anyway !!

Ok, I'll follow your advice, cheers all ;-)

I've just mailed the council as well, enquiring as to why there is no paper bring bank in the city - this country is about 50 years behind every other country in Europe...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

I sent an email to each of the free papers and then put a small sticker on the letterbox, saying "No free newspapers or leaflets" It works for 90% of the time. Some one dropped some leaflets in last week, and I was just inside the door, so I opened the door and asked yer man " Can you not Read?" It turned out he could'nt, not english anyway !!
    I had a sign written in English and Polish saying no junk mail or newspapers. It worked a treat until it blew away on a stromy night. I can't remember how to write it in Polish now..:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Mr Cork Man

Ive asked them to stop putting the advertiser in my letter box while the current editor is still there.The galway independent is ok at least their editor is easy on the eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

biko wrote: »
    A sign on the door "No free newspapers please" should do the trick I think.
    I imagine this is the only way to do it. I can't imagine the manager of distribution telling his underlings not to give papers to house numbers x,y,z....
    galwaybabe wrote: »
    I had a sign written in English and Polish saying no junk mail or newspapers. It worked a treat until it blew away on a stromy night. I can't remember how to write it in Polish now..:confused:

Google translate gives -
    Nie bezpłatny gazet lub ulotek
    Not sure if its correct, but it might do the job

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭teetotaller

Krieg wrote: »

Google translate gives - Nie bezpłatny gazet lub ulotek

Not sure if its correct, but it might do the job

It won't do the job :)

-Stop bezplatnym ulotkom i gazetom - stop to free N & L
    -Prosze nie zostawiac darmowych gazet i ulotek - Please don't leave freeN & L
    - zakaz zostawiania darmowych ulotek i gazet - Don't leave any free N &L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 GalGaillimh

I stood at my bedroom window and watched the free newspaper delivery guy peeing up against a wall outside my house. When he turned around he looked up and saw me - kinda hard not to as I had opened the window wide by then and was standing with my arms folded glaring at him. He continued up my drive with the intentions of delivering the paper he had taken from the bag with pee stained hands. I told him not to even think about it. He slunked off and I haven't had any Monday paper since...thank God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Burn the papers in effigy op.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Burn the papers in effigy op.
    JamesStephens inside a giant man made of Advertisers?

"Come, it is time to keep your appointment with the Advo Man!"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Be grateful for the free papers - great way to start your fire to keep the cold away on these cold evenings :D

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

I like getting a local paper through the door, bad and all as the journalism is, its still good for local events. If a newspaper comes through the letter box that I don't want, it doesn't break my back to stick it in the recycle bin

well, I don't have a fireplace, I don't have a recycling bin (then the problem would be solved, but alas), and I also get the papers at work - so if I really needed to read them, I check them there.

Still doesn't solve the question why there's no public cardboard and paper brink banks around at all...

Advertisement