Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SuperValu Caulfield Kilkenny - overcharging

Options
  • 07-11-2008 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

I've had enough of this shop. EVERY time I go into that shop I get overcharged.

Now I dont even leave the shop before checking my receipt to find out what i have been overcharged for. I am genuinely suprised if I cant spot some incorrect charge.

Just 1 example :

3 weeks ago I bought jars of baby food in an offer.
    Buy 3 get 4th free. Got charged for 4 jars.
    Got money back from them (with no apology or any promise to fix)

Yesterday decide to avail of the same offer. Exactly the same thing happened. Charged for 4 when should have been charged for 3.

This time I got the manager and explained to him that it happened 2-3 weeks also and it doesn't seem to have been corrected. He didn't seem to care.

What can I do about this - who do I contact ?

Why are they so carefree when it comes to pricing ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mobpd

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

It's probably nothing to do with the pricing itself,these kind of offers usually work a certain way. i.e. all 4 jars are scanned in and then a discount code is entered to discount the free jar. Most likely it is stupid staff who just don't enter the code,which usually you should go to the manager about but clearly that didn't work for you :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

This always used to happen my parents in certain SuperValus. I'm guessing that its intended negligence on their part.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

SuperValu

Super Value?

In my opinion that's a substantial misrepresentation in itself.

- In the same way as you can't sell sparkling wine labelled as "Champagne" - I can't see how these people are allowed to trade under a sign which implies that "Super" "Value" is available within.......

Imagine you were a visitor, or a particularly clueless individual - you be bankrupted by regularly buying a basketful of items in these street-corner mugging-stations.

Disclaimer: This is merely me voicing my personal opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I'm the same. SuperValu is our local shop and while me dont do much shopping there Mrs.6th has been mentioning quite a few "mistakes" such as the ones in the OP.

Again or local manager is crap, he just stands around outside smoking and taking to security. He doesnt seem to take any pride in his job and acts like he knows some people have no choice but to shop there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I use another Caulfield Supervalu and offers are always being mispriced and so on, seems to occur again and again. Annoys me when you get an offer on say Mon, bring to the attention of the cashier and get the offer and few days later, you still have to bring it to their attention to get the offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Raiser wrote: »
    SuperValu

Super Value?

In my opinion that's a substantial misrepresentation in itself.

- In the same way as you can't sell sparkling wine labelled as "Champagne" - I can't see how these people are allowed to trade under a sign which implies that "Super" "Value" is available within.......

Imagine you were a visitor, or a particularly clueless individual - you be bankrupted by regularly buying a basketful of items in these street-corner mugging-stations.

Disclaimer: This is merely me voicing my personal opinion.

+ 1000000

What more can I say? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

its very bad practise and in breach of the labeling laws, which carrys a fine of €3000.

in short the manager would want his ass kicked big time, i would write to the head office of supervalu informing them of this practise and tell them that if you dont get a satisfactory reply from them within a week,then you will report them to the authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

englander wrote: »
    . EVERY time I go into that shop I get overcharged.

I am genuinely suprised if I cant spot some incorrect charge.

So not EVERY time then?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

englander wrote: »
    What can I do about this - who do I contact?
    The National Consumer Agency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

That happens in Pettits Supervalue in Wexford also... But they say that promotions advertised in newpapers only apply to 'Supervalue' not 'Pettit's
    Supervalue' :confused: I.e. it must say Pettits Supervalue in the add.

Maybe its the same in Kilkenny? TBH I stopped going to Supervalue when they said this. I think its really wrong.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Supervalue obviously need to improve their EPOS system - any good system will be able to be set up to spot offers like that and do the discount automatically.

Or maybe they just hope not too many people complain...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Dinkie wrote: »
    That happens in Pettits Supervalue in Wexford also... But they say that promotions advertised in newpapers only apply to 'Supervalue' not 'Pettit's
    Supervalue' :confused: I.e. it must say Pettits Supervalue in the add.

Maybe its the same in Kilkenny? TBH I stopped going to Supervalue when they said this. I think its really wrong.

Musgrave/SuperValu should give them a swift kick if they're not playing the game. They obviously get whatever benefits there are of being a SuperValu franchise, so one would expect them to comply with what's expected of them.

All of the franchisees have to contribute towards marketing costs for SuperValu as a whole, on a monthly basis if I remember correctly from various audits, so Pettits must be stupid if they're paying for the ads, then not participating in the promotions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

All BOGOF offers have to be manually entered to the scanning system. All it takes is a mistyped number for it to not register. I personally find Caulfields one of the best supermarkets in KK for offers.

*Disclaimer...I dont work, nor have I ever worked for Caulfields

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Aye these offers are entered into the system which apply to all checkouts. Guess they just didnt add the offers in, or they were not added correctly. Maybe contacting Super Valus HQ might sort it out.

The one in Tramore has had a major overhaul recently when Tesco opened up. Not a bad store now, pitty Tesco (which is a store I kind of like) dont follow their lead with some stuff they do and sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

This always happens in tesco in maynooth i find.

I never complain though, im just not arsed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

This always happens in tesco in maynooth i find.

I never complain though, im just not arsed.

Well if you were arsed you'd be getting lots of free stuff.

Few weeks back I got two bottles of rum and a few lemons. I noticed that the rum seemed to be a bit more than what I saw on the shelf price. Checked it after paying and I was correct, went up to the till and got my no quibble guaruntee. Near €40 back in my pocket and two free bottles of rum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

I wrote to Tesco head office at the weekend having had exactly the same experience, not for the first time either. I bought four sets of items that were discounted in some way and only one set had the discount correctly applied at the till.

The staff at the store refunded the difference but I don't see whay I should queue to pay and then queue again to correct their pricing errors.

SSE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

I know Dunnes have a policy of giving you the item for free if you have been overcharged (I also think they have a policy of overcharging but that's just my opinion)

I got overcharged in Supervalu recently but they only offered me the overcharged amount back. I didn't bother taking them up on it because it was so busy at the time. Is that their standard policy?

What about Tesco? Or others?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Tesco have a "no quibble" guarantee which, in essence, means that the item is given to you for free if the price charged is different from the price displayed on the shelf edge. It was explained to me that this doesn't apply if it's an offer such as 2 for €5 or BOGOF, in those cases you'll be refunded the overcharged amount.

Tesco staff have always refunded the money, but it's happened to me more than once at this particular store and it's annoying to have to queue up again at Customer Services, particularly as that's the lottery sales too.

I don't ever recall being charged a lower price for an item.

I'll post whatever reply I get from Tesco Head Office.

SSE

• Advertisement
Advertisement